CommieChipmunk
+488|6541|Portland, OR, USA
I've recently decided to become a vegetarian and I've been at it for a good 3 weeks.  My parents are getting worried that I'm not getting enough protein or iron.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I've been supplementing most of my vitamins with "Mega Man" GNC brand supplement pills and protein with dairy products and cottage cheese.

What do you guys do?  Any help would be much appreciated.
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6316|Cali
I cannot live without meat.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Nope, not me.  Steak . . . mmmm.
liquix
+51|6425|Peoples Republic of Portland
well, i wouldn't say your a vegetarian because your eating dairy products. Still, I would say eat nuts and soybeans for protein. As for iron, one way which i would not recommend is saute your veggies in a cast iron pan. Dunno what else is iron rich
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6818|San Francisco

I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years now, thankfully I'm well past the point where everyone is worried about protein deficiency. Fact is you can get plenty of protein from sources other than meat. Nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, whole grains, soy products, and various meat substitutes all contain more than enough protein to sustain a vegetarian lifestyle.

http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html

As far as iron, there is little to worry about on that front as well. Again just eating a well rounded diet will get you plenty of iron.

http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Iron.htm

Some simples internet searches or trips to your local bookstore should also turn up plenty of other information on the subject, as well as lots of vegetarian recipes to try out as you make the transition.

liquix wrote:

well, i wouldn't say your a vegetarian because your eating dairy products.
That is exactly what makes him a vegetarian instead of a vegan. Look up the definition of both if you are unsure.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6599|IRELAND

Forget about supplements. If you are serous about being a veggie learn to supplements meat with proteins. Mushrooms and any kind of bean is good for that. Plenty of brown rice. Biggest tip though is to buy yourself a good electric steamer so you get all the minerals out of your veg no pour them down the sink when you boil them. You shouldn't stop eating fish if your problem with meat is they way they are bread in captivity fish lives a free life. Fish are full of really good fats and oils which are hard to supplement.
If you insist on using supplements make sure they have been taken from real foods, not the common synthetic shit thats produced in a lab.
I'm not a vegetarian, I have red meat once a week and fish 2-3 times and the rest is all veg.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6376|NSW, Australia

meat>veges
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah
Dude eat meat forget a veggie only diet you will be a weakling and it will take you way more times the amount for you be as strong as a person with meat in their diet. Also meat help you grow I wouldn't be 6'5'' right now if i had a veggie only diet. I mean fruits and vegetables are good for you to have don't get me wrong but idn its one of those cant explain it kind of things men are born liking meat (queers, gays, homos how ever you want to call them are the exception).

Last edited by The#1Spot (2007-01-13 17:18:09)

Hawk390
+27|6614|Melbourne, Australia
Wait.......you DONT eat meat? DONT eat animals?

Why? There just so goddamn tasty!
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6818|San Francisco

The#1Spot wrote:

Dude eat meat forget a veggie only diet you will be a weakling and it will take you way more times the amount for you be as strong as a person with meat in their diet. Also meat help you grow I wouldn't be 6'5'' right now if i had a veggie only diet. I mean fruits and vegetables are good for you to have don't get me wrong but idn its one of those cant explain it kind of things men are born liking meat (queers, gays, homos how ever you want to call them are the exception).
For the love of science, please go read some books on nutrition and stop spouting stuff like, "vegetarianism is directly linked to homosexuality!"
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6633|USA
I don't eat much red meat. A steak here or a burger there. CHICKEN all the way!

As for vegetarian, ceaser salad all the way. Everyday.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6818|San Francisco

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

As for vegetarian, ceaser salad all the way. Everyday.
Just make sure the dressing doesn't contain anchovies, most caesar dressings do.
BVC
+325|6666
If you can still eat meat I'd recommend eating some beef once in a while.

High-iron foods such as broccoli and spinnach are good, especially in conjunction with vitamin C (eg. orange juice) as it'll help release more iron.  Beans are also good for protein, so get into that chili

I just wolfed down a couple of lamb burgers, mmmm mmmm

Last edited by Pubic (2007-01-13 18:19:13)

power9787
+10|6552
i eat pollutry
my parents doesn't eat red meat and so i have to eaT chicken and turkey an rice
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

CommieChipmunk wrote:

I've recently decided to become a vegetarian and I've been at it for a good 3 weeks.  My parents are getting worried that I'm not getting enough protein or iron.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I've been supplementing most of my vitamins with "Mega Man" GNC brand supplement pills and protein with dairy products and cottage cheese.

yeah, eat a steak.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!!
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6798|Lithuania
Does anyone care to explain to me why anyone would turn vegetarian?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6542|USA

JahManRed wrote:

Forget about supplements. If you are serous about being a veggie learn to supplements meat with proteins. Mushrooms and any kind of bean is good for that. Plenty of brown rice. Biggest tip though is to buy yourself a good electric steamer so you get all the minerals out of your veg no pour them down the sink when you boil them. You shouldn't stop eating fish if your problem with meat is they way they are bread in captivity fish lives a free life. Fish are full of really good fats and oils which are hard to supplement.
If you insist on using supplements make sure they have been taken from real foods, not the common synthetic shit thats produced in a lab.
I'm not a vegetarian, I have red meat once a week and fish 2-3 times and the rest is all veg.
the dam about 10 miles away from me has a fish farm. so yes, fish are bread in captivity.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
Pine nuts.
Ask ten thousand years worth of native Americans.
T0rr3nt
+54|6548|Michigan
im dating a vegetarian, it drives me nuts. NOT in a good way.

where ever we go we have to ask what the shit is cooked in
or have it separated
i have to listen to her bawk about animal rights(dont get me wrong im NOT FOR animal cruelty)
i want to eat what i want to eat without the guilty comments.

the list goes on and on

the biggest one that annoys me, being Vegetarian is this trend in itself
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6818|San Francisco

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Does anyone care to explain to me why anyone would turn vegetarian?
The environment, personal health, cost, and ethical treatment of animals are all general reasons. This site breaks those down a bit with specific examples though.

The biggest reason for me though would have to be environmental sustainability.

T0rr3nt wrote:

im dating a vegetarian, it drives me nuts. NOT in a good way.
You two need to have a serious talk about that if you want to be together for any length of time. As I stated before, I am vegetarian, my girlfriend of three years is not. Ultimately you have to be open and supportive of her decision to not eat meat, and she has to understand that constantly giving you a guilt-trip over eating meat is not helpful in any way.
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6518|the best galaxy
Meat rules.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6301|teh alien spaceshit

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Dude, how do you live without meat?
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6354|California
https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/p_ventura18/ScrewVegans.jpg
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6576|Greenwood, IN
If your and evolutionary theory type of person.(Or fact if you really want to argue.)  Then you should know we became smart because we ate meat.  Some to do with the right combination of environment, food(meat), and predators.  Cause us to mutate to modern humans.
|=-sL-=|.Cujucuyo.
+26|6354|California

Brizzzer wrote:

If your and evolutionary theory type of person.(Or fact if you really want to argue.)  Then you should know we became smart because we ate meat.  Some to do with the right combination of environment, food(meat), and predators.  Cause us to mutate to modern humans.
Yep, the vasts amounts of protein helped us evolve in both strength and intelligence.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard