Vic42
+2|6721|Sacramento, California
I played both the original BF2 and SF without a crash for a long time. I had already played for several hours yesterday when I started getting crashes. The first one was half way through a round, then after rebooting, near the beginning of the next round, and now it crashes at the menus. I have not made any hardware, software, or video or sound changes between when it worked okay and when the crashes started.

My eVGA GeForce 6600 GT has been in for one month, and performed flawlessly. Windows error reporting said the crashes are due to the Nvidia drivers, so I updated them from 77.72 to 81.95 - with no effect.

Any ideas?

https://vicrsx.home.comcast.net/computer/BF2_screen.jpg

Here is  link to my hardware & software info.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6819
Video card failing
Power supply failing
Monitor failing

If screen you posted is actual screen shot of what you are getting and not an actual Windows crash then I would say it is all video card (failure immanent)

Just my thoughts - would have to see logs to give you something a bit more accurate.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6758|San Antonio, Texas
With the info given, it looks like your video card fried. Was it overclocked? And do you have a good airflow in your system?
Nehil
+3|6729|South Sweden (NOT SWITZERLAND)
It's kinda clear that the video card is flipping out, I also have a 6600GT (pcix) and it gave up about 1 week ago. Seems like it could be overheated, too much overclocking or as in my case, the core has fucked up. Is it like that in all games, all the time? Also try the videocard in a friends computer to see if you get the same problem.
Vic42
Thanks everybody, a bad video card is my primary suspect. I have not seen the problem outside of BF2 - BF 1942 still works, but it doesn't tax the video card the way BF2 does.

Nothing on the system is overclocked, and airflow is very good (3 case fans, cool room).

I'm going to swap out the video card and see if the problem goes away.
Vic42

Vic42 wrote:

I'm going to swap out the video card and see if the problem goes away.
That did it, a new card like the old one and the game is working fine again. Didn't change anything else, and I'm still using the same drivers.
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6742|Malaga, EspaƱa
well to make sure its your video card thats broken:

*Play other games that requires some of ur Graphic card
*check ur CTRL+ALT+DEL (Taskmanager) and look at the memory usages of ur video card driver

if he keeps crashing more often dont waste time of solving it urself it only can make it worse take it to a shop
(in case u think..hell it cant get worse then this Format ur pc and reinstall ur OS and drivers to make sure its not an software conflict)

go to ur system properties : pick the icon that says System and turn off the Windows XP (or do u have another OS) that he reboots if an fatal error ocures ...so in place of the pc that reboots automatic, windows XP will show a Screen of Death...and maybe there u will find something about whats going on.
Question : if u rebooted will it show an field that say that XP occured a fatal error and tried to fix it with under the option to send a report to Microsoft or to show more info about the error that occured.

My own experience with video cards :
Geforce FX5500 256 mb - Doom 3 i was playing and suddently he rebooted...and after that it just went point black..no more screen - video card broken
Geforce FX5700LE 256 Mb - well i was happy with it ...going fine...after 4 months my XP suddently crashes under the game MOHAA . wtf...hmmm rebooted and tried again...all the other games just crashed my XP in about 5 - 25 minutes... - Problem video card broken and the shop told it was my fault coz it seemed i overloaded it...right..with a game from 2001 bullshit i made an complain about that shop and as result they gave me an Geforce FX5700LE 256 TD (256 Ram) brand new and it stills works so i,m happy

i think the best advice is : Bring the PC to the shop and let them look at it coz i,m pretty sure that ur video card is broken
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6844
I'd say your video card, but it could be the screen, running at a resolution it doens't like or somethings gone screwy. I doubt that, my prognosis:

Take out the video card, check for any physical burn on any transistors or units, becaue I'd say something's fried there. They do that no matter how cool your system is. Then stick it in, do a Window's driver update, then check for the lastest cataylist drivers, then check for any other software incompatibility.
Then either take the card in to the shop with the computer, bring a warrenty card if it's still good. Ask for it to be replaced under warrenty if you can, if not buy a new card (I recommend the X700).

If all else fails throw the PC out a 3rd story Window and claim your neightbour did it so you can get insurance...make sure not the press charges!
Vic42
It was the video card.

I NEVER take my PC to a shop because I know more about PCs than they do at most shops.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6819

Vic42 wrote:

It was the video card.

I NEVER take my PC to a shop because I know more about PCs than they do at most shops.
Glad you got that solved - so what video card is going into your PC to replace busted one?
Vic42

Leatherface-TCM wrote:

Glad you got that solved - so what video card is going into your PC to replace busted one?
An Nvidia 6600 GT, just like the one that went bad. The first one was from eVGA, and the replacement is from PNY, but they clearly both came off the same assembly line!

I read all the reviews I could get my hands on before I bought the 6600 GT, and it really is the sweet-spot for a high performance video card at a reasonable price.
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6722
Ive got the giggabyte 6600gt card,good card but im considering a 6800gt or 7800gt for xmas
Vic42

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

Ive got the giggabyte 6600gt card,good card but im considering a 6800gt or 7800gt for xmas
What do you expect to get from the 6800gt or 7800gt that you don't get from the 6600gt? Yes, I know that those cards are 2x-3x faster, but what does that actually give you in-game?
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6846|-

Vic42 wrote:

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

What do you expect to get from the 6800gt or 7800gt that you don't get from the 6600gt? Yes, I know that those cards are 2x-3x faster, but what does that actually give you in-game?
Well for one they're future-proof. You won't need an upgrade for a few years with them. With all the new high quality games being produced nowadays your 6600 will soon be ancient and out-of-date. Getting a 7800 is a great investment and I highly recommend it.
Vic42

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Vic42 wrote:

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

Well for one they're future-proof. You won't need an upgrade for a few years with them. With all the new high quality games being produced nowadays your 6600 will soon be ancient and out-of-date. Getting a 7800 is a great investment and I highly recommend it.
"A few years"??? No disrespect intended, but I think this is one of the great fallacies of computer gaming hardware. Buying a $400 video card instead of a $200 card is NOT going to double the time to obsolescence.

Most people don't have unlimited bucks to spend, so getting the best value for their dollar is important. No video card out today is going to be current technology even two years from today! A new Direct-X version, a new PC bus technology, a new memory technology, or even a new video interface can make your current card a legacy. The leading edge will soon be multiple cores per card, something you can't even buy today.

What you want is a card that supports the latest Direct-X version and shader models and performs well on current games, with a little margin left for the next set of games. Once games start coming out that use features your current card does not have, you start thinking about replacing it.

Better to get a $200 video card every year or a $300 video card every 18 months than a $600 video card and expect it to last three years!

Of course, if bragging rights to the hottest hardware is what is really important, buying just enough to get the job done won't cut it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard