spawnofthemist
Banned
+1,128|6638|Burmecia, Land of the Rain

Delphy wrote:

I have to say this really isn't worth a sticky.
i wholely disagree with your false statement

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I thought that BF2142 basically was a mod, with alot of time and effort put into it. People can make new weapons and buildings right now, so what is it that means this isn't a mod?
read the original fucking post.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6743|The United Center

spawnofthemist wrote:

Delphy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I thought that BF2142 basically was a mod, with alot of time and effort put into it. People can make new weapons and buildings right now, so what is it that means this isn't a mod?
Calm down.  He's saying that since it's using the same engine that it's very similar to a mod.  They changed the weapons, vehicles, and graphics, but so do all the other mods.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85

spawnofthemist wrote:

Delphy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I did read the original post, and don't appreciate your crude response.

OP wrote:

=2142 uses the same engine as Battlefield 2, but not the same codes/models/textures. It is a NEW GAME, not a modification.
I don't understand why these aren't things that could in theory be made and then put in the Program Files/EA Games/Battlefield 2/mods directory and work as a mod. I understand that more than likely I am wrong and would like someone to explain it to me instead of telling me to "read the fucking post".

Edit:Thanks TMo

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-08-07 08:50:07)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

Delphy wrote:

id have to say you get no opinion, because your initial post was spam.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6844|-
Stryyker wins.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Stryyker wins.
yesh

bf2142 has a different exe, and you have to install the whole thing, therefore not a mod
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Lazzars
+4|6644
2142 is just another vietnam

that would make it BF2.5?

Last edited by Lazzars (2006-08-07 15:04:06)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

TriggerHappy998 wrote:

Stryyker wins.
yesh

bf2142 has a different exe, and you have to install the whole thing, therefore not a mod
I understand bf2142 will be a seperate .exe, but you could make SF a seperate .exe, even though it works just fine in the BF2/mods directory. I don't understand the fundamental difference between 2142 and a mod, I thought that basically the definition of a game was its engine and what was done with the engine, though you could alter what was done with the engine through mods.
Phrozenbot
+632|6612|do not disturb

So Dice Canada made the boosters? Hmmms.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

Lazzars wrote:

have you played both and are therefore able to make a comparison?
I have, its not.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6655|WPB, FL. USA

stryyker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

So where's my coffee?
Juan Valdez makes sure you wake up everymorning with a nice cup of fresh brewed coffee, from the misty mountains of Columbia.
Sounds like someone didn't get his coffee to me

It's neither EA's or DICE's fault - IT"S ALL STRYYKERS FOR NOT DELIVERING THE COFFEE ON TIME

Kaboom.
starkingdoms
+6|6768

ThomasMorgan wrote:

So where's my coffee?
+1
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6519

Hellogoodsir wrote:

So Dice Canada made the boosters? Hmmms.
fuckin canooks
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6519

stryyker wrote:

Lazzars wrote:

I have, its not.
how did u get to play 2142, i want in
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6562|Area 51
What do you want me to do whilst I'm outside?
Meeh, actually looking forward to 1.4 Infantry Only!!! w00t!!
cablecopulate
+449|6734|Massachusetts.
So wait...EA doesn't make BF2?!
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

ig88 wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Lazzars wrote:

I have, its not.
how did u get to play 2142, i want in
the internet holds a wealth of information. however, the Beta will be out within the next 10 days, for all to enjoy
Defiance
+438|6668

Oh shucks, everything I've been saying over the past two months in one post

Damn, I feel ripped off.

GP stryyk.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

Defiance wrote:

Oh shucks, everything I've been saying over the past two months in one post

Damn, I feel ripped off.

GP stryyk.
heres a karma for you troubles
ToXiC888
Cal players > BF2s
+40|6581|Columbus,Ohio-THE Ohio State U
Hmmmmm, 2142 is not a mod because you have to PAY FOR IT.  All the mods ive played have been free, OR maybe thats just because its from EA...
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6483|Melbourne

EA to complete DICE takeover
Publisher looks to pick up the remaining 26 percent of the Battlefield series developer it doesn't already own.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Mar 17, 2006 10:11 am PT

Electronic Arts has been in the process of acquiring Digital Illusions CE (DICE) since 2003, purchasing the publisher in chunks here and there. However, the long courtship is set to come to an end soon, as EA announced that the companies have agreed on a final merger proposal.

If all goes according to plan, EA will purchase the remaining shares of DICE in September, "effectively making DICE a fully integrated studio within EA." The merger must be approved by a two-three majority vote at DICE's annual shareholders meeting in May, but that shouldn't be a problem, considering EA already owns approximately 68 percent of the company's shares.

In a statement issued by the Stockholm-based company, DICE chairman Thomas Skoglund said that the acquisition "resolves a stifling and complex situation while at the same time safeguarding DICE's position as a leading-edge game developer in a global and increasingly competitive environment."

Specifically, DICE noted that the current ownership situation has two glaring weaknesses that a full acquisition would remedy. First, it prevents DICE from using EA tools, technology, and financial resources. It also added that it could make it difficult to entice talented employees to join or stay with the company in the future.

DICE is currently at work on downloadable content packs for its Battlefield 2 PC game, and Xbox 360 and PSP versions of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. The company was founded in 1992 and has offices in Sweden and Canada.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also DICE need EA's Approval on all realeases so they should have had some idea of the kaos that the patch 1.3 was to cuase the bf2 community.  EA & DICE are to blame for the patch bugs, and idk how a developer could rease a patch like that with so many  bugs in it...

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-08-07 19:03:47)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
sonneillon
+4|6629|where the fuck am i?
It basically is a mod. A very good fuckin mod that's worth paying for because it brings so much to the table that it might as well be a different game in its own. Just look at counter-strike for example. It started out as a mod and eventually became a full blown different game. This is the same scenario...only instead of random people making it, it's being developed by professionals.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6483|Melbourne

sonneillon wrote:

It basically is a mod. A very good fuckin mod that's worth paying for because it brings so much to the table that it might as well be a different game in its own. Just look at counter-strike for example. It started out as a mod and eventually became a full blown different game. This is the same scenario...only instead of random people making it, it's being developed by professionals.
Exactly
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA

stryyker wrote:

heres how it works

1.) Digital Illusions is the studio that writes the codes for BF2, they produced the game.
2.) EA is the publisher, they have nothing to do with anything in the game except promotion and payment
3.) DICE Canada is the one that produces the patches.
4.) DICE Sweden produced 2142
5.) EA does not own Digital Illusions in full. they own only about 20% of the company.

more notes on 2142:

2142 uses the same engine as Battlefield 2, but not the same codes/models/textures. It is a NEW GAME, not a modification.

Yes, it is futuristic
No, there arent lasers
No, it isnt starwars
No, you dont fight aliens (see Quakewars if you want this)
Yes, there will be a public Beta
Yes, there will be a Demo

More on BF2: if you dont want to support DICE/EA, stop playing BF2.
complaining about the patch wont fix it.
if you cant wait for 1.4, go outside and do something until it does, so we dont have to hear about it.

are we clear?
so, there are no sharks with frickin' lazer beams attached to their heads??
ToXiC888
Cal players > BF2s
+40|6581|Columbus,Ohio-THE Ohio State U

lowing wrote:

stryyker wrote:

heres how it works

1.) Digital Illusions is the studio that writes the codes for BF2, they produced the game.
2.) EA is the publisher, they have nothing to do with anything in the game except promotion and payment
3.) DICE Canada is the one that produces the patches.
4.) DICE Sweden produced 2142
5.) EA does not own Digital Illusions in full. they own only about 20% of the company.

more notes on 2142:

2142 uses the same engine as Battlefield 2, but not the same codes/models/textures. It is a NEW GAME, not a modification.

Yes, it is futuristic
No, there arent lasers
No, it isnt starwars
No, you dont fight aliens (see Quakewars if you want this)
Yes, there will be a public Beta
Yes, there will be a Demo

More on BF2: if you dont want to support DICE/EA, stop playing BF2.
complaining about the patch wont fix it.
if you cant wait for 1.4, go outside and do something until it does, so we dont have to hear about it.

are we clear?
so, there are no sharks with frickin' lazer beams attached to their heads??
Im afraid not, but we do have Sea Bass...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard