Pure_Beef_68
Pure_beef_69 -1
+20|5923
I really want to see what the modding community can do with BF3, as in the past there has been some great ones come out - PR and Desert Combat to name a few.

I remember reading somewhere that Dice/EA are keeping the necessary codes (whatever the fuck they're called) from the modders to allow them to do this.

This needs to be changed.

Personally, i'd love to see a BF2 mod for BF3. No health regen, make jets + helis as powerful as they once were etc.

A PR mod would also be a great addition, although I can't see that community switching from the BF2 version any time soon.

What are your thoughts on this?
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
My thoughts are EA have realised mods don't make them money and that if they don't allow mods people will play the game for less time and then buy the next sequel in a year or 2.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Whores
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6576|Greenwood, IN

jord wrote:

My thoughts are EA have realised mods don't make them money and that if they don't allow mods people will play the game for less time and then buy the next sequel in a year or 2.
I probably won't be buying the next BF game.  Not unless they make some changes to the way they think games should be played.

Last edited by Naturn (2011-12-11 07:22:03)

jmsprovan
+18|5782|Alba

Pure_Beef_68 wrote:

I really want to see what the modding community can do with BF3, as in the past there has been some great ones come out - PR and Desert Combat to name a few.

I remember reading somewhere that Dice/EA are keeping the necessary codes (whatever the fuck they're called) from the modders to allow them to do this.

This needs to be changed.

Personally, i'd love to see a BF2 mod for BF3. No health regen, make jets + helis as powerful as they once were etc.

A PR mod would also be a great addition, although I can't see that community switching from the BF2 version any time soon.

What are your thoughts on this?
Its not possible because DICE doesn't own some of the vital middleware which makes the game run, and thus cannot give it to the community: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/m … aa/c307qwl
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Read this as well:
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/batt … tools.html

It's a very in depth post about why Bad Company 2 never got them.

In BC2's case it mostly boiled down to the fact that it was a console port and as a result the engine was terrible, and as Demize99 said above, the licensing agreements on all their middleware.

So while the first part may not be the case this time, the second part will still be an issue for them to sort out.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
Heck, even their Battlelog seems to be run by 3rd party software (Planet, Beacon, Sonar).
13/f/taiwan
+940|5669

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Read this as well:

In BC2's case it mostly boiled down to the fact that it was a console port and as a result the engine was terrible, and as Demize99 said above, the licensing agreements on all their middleware.

So while the first part may not be the case this time, the second part will still be an issue for them to sort out.
I went through most of that thread. They're obsession with creating a game that tries to replicate real life down to the smallest detail is everything that is wrong with the game.

realistic game ≠ fun game
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Read this as well:

lol the first part is just as true, they use the same core engine
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

DUnlimited wrote:

lol the first part is just as true, they use the same core engine
They said they re-wrote a lot of it to make up for Frostbite 1's biggest flaws, so I would hope the first part isn't quite as bad as it was.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6593|EU

Naturn wrote:

jord wrote:

I probably won't be buying the next BF game.  Not unless they make some changes to the way they think games should be played.
Exactly my thoughts! And they have to stop focus on consoles as priority (yea, I know consoles mean money, but fuck them, thanks to them this game will die), if next BF won't be PC oriented, I will buy Mario.
DogGunn
DogGunn Eats BF2!
+4|6818
Never going to happen. Oh well.
Pure_Beef_68
Pure_beef_69 -1
+20|5923

DogGunn wrote:

Never going to happen. Oh well.
Too true. Although there is always that small period where current gen consoles become massively outdated by their PC counterparts.

It usually lasts until the next gen consoles are released, then everyone switches back.

If i remember rightly, it was like that 6 years ago when BF2 was released. The PS2 (the best console at the time) really started to feel its age and the PC was in a new era of graphics. The PC was on top for a few years until the 360 was launched.

Unfortunately, BF3 has been released at a time where the consoles are still powerful enough to compete with the PC. If it had come a year or two later, it would be a PC orientated game no doubt (unless Microsoft or Sony released new consoles).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard