Went from neutral to unfavorable.0%0% - 0
Went from favorable to neutral.3%3% - 2
Went from unfavorable to neutral.1%1% - 1
Went from favorable to unfavorable.1%1% - 1
Went from unfavorable to favorable.14%14% - 8
Total: 55
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm willing to guess that most of us had a shift in opinions about STEAM over the years. Glitches, interface, pricing, game-specific things like VAC and even computer upgrades have probably contributed to it.

At first, I thought STEAM was an unnecessarily invasive, resource consuming fungus on the face of Half-Life 2. Since then, I have went from an AMD 2500+ to 3500+ to a Core 2 Duo laptop, so the resources it gobbles up are no longer so much of a concern to me. Point up with no credit due to STEAM itself. Then its library expanded to encompass a ton of games regularly on sale for a steal, which I didn't really care so much about with dial-up or low-end DSL, but now with cable an easy five percent of all games I own are either on STEAM or are STEAM compatible. Point up.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6676|67.222.138.85
Neutral to favorable. It had its growing pains as all new concepts do. Now that it has matured it is arguably the best thing to happen to PC gaming.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
I was pretty neutral about it, its updates took quite a long time, but i liked the general idea that i could download my game again without the cd. Now I fucking love it, more than half my games on it are download only.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
my opinion hasn't really shifted... ive been patient with the creases and bugs they've had to iron out...

fucking brilliant in my opinion. has changed the relation i have both to buying games and playing them/

completely removed the point of 3rd party applications like Xfire as well. they set out to create a 'platform', and that it is.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Neutral to favorable. It had its growing pains as all new concepts do. Now that it has matured it is arguably the best thing to happen to PC gaming.
Yeah Steam has it's place on the web alongside Google, Youtube and the other titans,,,,,
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Went from unfavorable to favorable.

Used to not like it at all, felt buggy and slow and always updating, but now I love it since it's sorta ironed itself out a bit and works really well, and saves me ordering games from the interwebs or going to town to get them.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Christbane
+51|6204
I like it mostly because I play games at work and it allows easy access to them from work and home.  it is also great for keeping in touch with friends I game with and seeing what they are playing so I can join.  the impulse buys of things I really dont need is the only downside for me
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Christbane wrote:

I like it mostly because I play games at work and it allows easy access to them from work and home.  it is also great for keeping in touch with friends I game with and seeing what they are playing so I can join.  the impulse buys of things I really dont need is the only downside for me
Well, the impulse element can be seen as a bit of a downside. But if you aren't financially strapped, $20 here and there for a bundle that individually costs about $200 is still a sweet deal. Just make sure you actually play what you get.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-05-10 12:07:41)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6676|67.222.138.85
You can't blame steam for providing the deals.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6239
I'm not sure which part to vote for, since obviously everybody hated it back in 2004, but in recent years (2007-now) i've really grown to love it. Regular content updates via Steam from Valve, amazing and frequent deals (loving GRID and DIRT2 just now), and full integration with Steamworks games makes having it running in the background a large part of my PC experience. It's revamped how PC gaming is played and bought (with both new and old games obviously) for me as well.

It has its problems of course. People in Europe frequently get horrible pricing, timed deals/events are usually very USA focused (completely understandable but still problematic), and there's the ever present problem of being unable to connect or having offline mode not work looming in the shadows. It happens rarely but when it does it's annoying.

So yes i'm very pro-Steam. If we're talking about from 2004-present, then my vote goes to 'unfav -> fav', if we're talking 2007-present, then my vote is 'neutral -> fav', but if we're talking about 2009-present then it's fav -> fav. (voted was and remains favourable)

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2010-05-10 12:27:53)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Went from neutral to favorable. I've always liked having physical discs and whatnot, but now I've come to see the light and appreciate digital distribution. At the moment, I'd much rather have games on Steam that I can download any time and don't need to use the discs or go dig them up to install something.

And in some cases, it's been a help in getting certain games to work. For example, I bought GTA San Andreas for PC a few years ago. It ran fine on XP, but wouldn't work on my 64-bit Vista install. With the latest Steam sale, I picked up GTA SA again, and this time it works.

Oh and another thing, Steam sales. I've bought many games for ridiculous prices from those. It's awesome.
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5967
Liked it from the start. Not a fan of the new layout though.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

I hated it at first because I had a lot of problems with memory leaks and I generally did not see the point of the whole thing.
Love it now for the community features, re-downloadable game copies, great deals, community integration in more and more games etc.

I do hate the new UI update though because it reintroduced me to memory problems and hanging overlay processes.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
I fear it becoming a monopoly

Right now it's excellent
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

I've always liked it, they should move to openid
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast
I've almost always loved it, even though when I first installed it with CSS with four years ago I was skeptical. The fact that my my copy of CSS was preowned but was advertisied as new didn't help. But after that I grew to love it. It's too bad all of my Source games are unplayable now due to this shite PC

Last edited by henno13 (2010-05-10 13:17:37)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
Loved it since the square green box days. ('05 I think..)
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
inkursion - Member since: November 4, 2004

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
October 8, 2003

One-up that
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6711|FUCK UBISOFT

Lucien wrote:

October 8, 2003

One-up that
76 games.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6239

(I did actually play HL2 and CS:S at release, but it was my brothers PC. We didn't get separate accounts until, well, June 2 2005.)
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

(I did actually play HL2 and CS:S at release, but it was my brothers PC. We didn't get separate accounts until, well, June 2 2005.)
<- May 3, 2005

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6318|Belfast
July 16, 2006
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6565|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
February 16, 2006, my second account. First one got banned, that was there since Steams conception.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma
I love it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard