Poll

First time through a new game, what difficulty?

Easy; I need some time to get the hang of things10%10% - 7
Normal; The developers wanted me to play it this way62%62% - 44
Hard; I want a challenge27%27% - 19
Never have, and never will, play single player (liar!)0%0% - 0
Total: 70
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Your first time through a new game. Do you take it easy and really get the hang of things, practice with the controls, learn all the maps, etc.? Do you start out on the default difficulty, just enough difficulty to keep your brain active, but not so difficult that you get frustrated or hung up on certain parts, the way the developers wanted? Or do you play a higher difficulty, give yourself a challenge, even though you've never played the game before and have no idea what to expect?

Or have you never ever played a single player portion of a game, ever? (In which case I don't think you're telling the truth; or you've only started playing games in the last 5 or 6 years)

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-04-03 12:12:08)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
Normal, the replay on hardest.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
Normal on rpgs, but the hardest/veteran on FPS games
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
Normal, I don't play single player games for the challenge, I prefer to play them for the experience. I would rather keep the pace up than brag that I beat a computer program on a super high level at a later date.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

usually hard
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Normal, I don't play single player games for the challenge, I prefer to play them for the experience. I would rather keep the pace up than brag that I beat a computer program on a super high level at a later date.
WHERE IS YOUR E-HONO(u)R???
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

90% of the time it's on Normal my first time through. I can get frustrated pretty easily in single player. It's annoying getting killed or failing your objective because you have no idea what do or don't know your way around. Part of good game design is to make things intuitive and seamless for the player. If you're playing on a harder difficulty, most of the time it's assumed that you know what you're doing and have already done this before.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
hard, normal is the new easy. Literally. Games have become balanced to make them easier in general.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال

haffeysucks wrote:

usually hard
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Vilham wrote:

hard, normal is the new easy. Literally. Games have become balanced to make them easier in general.
Or maybe it's because you're just so damn good!
Smithereener
+138|6286|California
Normal. Very rarely do I play on Hard, but only if I felt like I was breezing through Normal way too easily.

But of course, (most? ) other times, I'm just flat out terrible so I play Easy till I get the hang of it.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA
Normal, even if it's a franchise I've played before, just to get the whole experience without getting pissed, sort of like watching a movie.  I go generally go back and play on the hardest setting for trophies, and then run through on easy for collectibles.
Engineer_Fox
Has a horse outside
+48|5153|Hague City Firm - Holland
Hardest setting so I can blaze through it. After that, on the easiest so I can explore stuff and get things like archievements or discover something I skipped.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
If it's a sequel to a game I've played, hardest. If I'm new to the game, Normal.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6372|dm_maidenhead
Normal.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6319|Belfast

FatherTed wrote:

Normal, the replay on hardest.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6103
accidentally checked easy. I've played some games where there is no easy, it's just normal so that's what I meant.

normal first, then if I liked it enough the first time I'll try it harder.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Depends. If I'm playing it for fun, normal. If I'm playing it to have played it, easy. If I'm playing it again, 1 step up.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Normal first. It's often pretty easy that way but it means I can keep playing through the whole game without getting stuck at one particular part.

I will often go back later and play it through on a harder difficulty.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I like it hard.

and fast.

and deep.

immersive.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Usually normal.

Pretty much the only exception would be the halo games... Which I played co-op with bros. So we started on REGENDARY. Always.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
jaymz9350
+54|6547
I usually play on normal the first go round.  If the game is worth a replay I'll go up to hard then.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6314

Miggle wrote:

Depends. If I'm playing it for fun, normal. If I'm playing it to have played it, easy. If I'm playing it again, 1 step up.
This.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

I like it hard.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Longbow
+163|6617|Odessa, Ukraine
Hard, others are too easy imo

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard