Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6464|Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, just wondering how good/bad the earlier COD games were. My impression is that COD did not properly position itself as one of the best FPS until COD4, but I'd like to be proven wrong. In particular, how do the older COD games compare with rivals such as MoH or DoD?

Finally, does COD2 exist for the PC? There was one version which only came out on consoles, I'm not so sure which one it was.

Thanks.

Last edited by Vub (2009-11-30 19:09:01)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5874|CA
Just read a couple of Uzique's posts in here and all of your questions will be answered.

Essentially CoD1 and CoD2 were the glory days of the franchise, and it was CoD4 that dumbed it down into a console-friendly mess that induced rage on many CoD purists.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2009-11-30 19:12:31)

Vub
The Power of Two
But the single player campaign of COD4 was really unique (or maybe that's because I don't play many games). So how are COD1 and 2 better than say MoH? (which I didn't like)
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6322|Troy, New York
Gameplay, gameplay, and more gameplay. Where its all at. Competitive used to be great as well.
Blank_The_Bogan
MEDIC!
+19|5436|Qld, Australia
Since i was never around for COD1 & 2 i cannot comment on them
but i have played COD4 MP & SP, it was the most fun in a FPS game i have ever had (Owning 12 year old noobs is fun!)
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

COD 1 and 2 as well as its expansions were the pinnacle of the COD series.  Without a doubt
Commie Killer
+192|6357
Definitely were great in their day, first one won the Game of the Year Award, if your going to play them now, after playing a game like CoD4, you probably won't be impressed, just because they are older.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6322|Troy, New York

Winston_Churchill wrote:

COD 1 and 2 as well as its expansions were the pinnacle of the COD series.  Without a doubt
Yah its all sorta been down hill from there (If not still thoroughly enjoyable)
Blank_The_Bogan
MEDIC!
+19|5436|Qld, Australia

h4hagen wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yah its all sorta been down hill from there (If not still thoroughly enjoyable)
It has been down hill but still good gameplay
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6322|Troy, New York
Absolutely. Just not expanding on the experience as I would have liked. But still good games without a doubt.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6711|FUCK UBISOFT

Call of Duty has been getting consistently worse since the day it came out.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Commie Killer
+192|6357

Miggle wrote:

UO was worse then CoD1?

[sub]In general I agree though, only improvement to gameplay that 4-6 have had was the HC mode, liked the low healths and no hud.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6159|Canada

CoD2 came out on the PC, I have my copy installed right now.  CoD3 only came out on the Wii I think, and it was total crap apparently.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6711|FUCK UBISOFT

Commie Killer wrote:

Miggle wrote:

UO was worse then CoD1?

[sub]In general I agree though, only improvement to gameplay that 4-6 have had was the HC mode, liked the low healths and no hud.
UO was ok, probably not as good as VCoD, but it wasn't a game either.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
firebolt5
+114|6125
Just yesterday I found out how odd the weapons in CoD1 were (specifically the PPSh and BAR...):
http://denkirson.xanga.com/673018864/item/
Vub
The Power of Two
OK, I might pick up COD1 and 2 for the PC and play through them, although they had better be more fun than MOH: Pacific Assault which was the least fun I've ever had in a FPS.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
CoD1 and 2 were on the PC, it was CoD3 that was consoles only, XBox 360 and Wii for sure, dunno about PS2/3. I played CoD3 on XBox a bit, it was actually alright.

I've never played CoD1, so I can't really comment on it, but I've seen a lot of frag movies from it. It does look like a much more PC orientated game (I think I'm right in saying it was PC only?). There is much more recoil, for one thing.

CoD2 is when consoles started infecting the game. Guns like the PPsh and the Trench Gun spoiled the game a bit. Add the fact that any long-range class (Scoped or non-scoped single-shot rifle) gets 3xFrag, then it's a bit spammy. I've played a few competitive scrims, and I can say after playing CoD4 competitively it was a nice refreshment. A lot less focus on holding down mouse 1 at your target, not having to worry about recoil. The one-shot rifles dominated the game. There were longer-range encounters, so SMGs were kinda outclassed, unlike in CoD4, where you can run around with your 74u and dominate the server. The Thompson SMG was quite hard to handle, if you just held the trigger you would soon be aiming at the sky. Compared to CoD4 or 5 or 6, it's a lot... 'better', if PC orientated is your cup of tea. The lack of sprint made me rage, I would always be hitting shift, and end up meleeing thin air.

In conclusion CoD2 is definitely worth a buy. CoD1 I can't comment on, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I wouldn't buy it if you were just a casual gamer, but if competitive is more your scene, then I'd recommend it.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma

Vub wrote:

Hey guys, just wondering how good/bad the earlier COD games were. My impression is that COD did not properly position itself as one of the best FPS until COD4, but I'd like to be proven wrong. In particular, how do the older COD games compare with rivals such as MoH or DoD?

Finally, does COD2 exist for the PC? There was one version which only came out on consoles, I'm not so sure which one it was.

Thanks.
COD and COD2 are the best cod games out there.
No bullshit perks, kill streaks and add ons.
Just pure kar98 bolt action vs bolt action (sometimes...i mean most of the times thommy vs kar98) action.
I still play it from time to time...feels good to go back to the old days.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY
Play the Call of Duty 2 single player campaign. You will be impressed. Enough said. The game cost $20 for PC when I got it ~a year ago.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5603|Southern California
Call of Duty was probably my best experience with PC gaming so far.
You actually had to aim when meleeing enemies (Nothing better than bashing someone with a stick grenade)
It was quite challenging online and probably had the best layout for scriming/clans.
Single player was actually very good and multiplayer was much better than WaW and wayyy better than CoD 4.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
CoD1 and United Offensive were the glory days.

After that it's been consolitus stuff altough i personally liked CoD4
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

m3thod's a glory hole
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6634|NT, like Mick Dundee

CoD1 had the best sp campaign. To my memory anyway. Really enjoyed it.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Vub
The Power of Two
Cool, thanks guys for your help.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
COD2 still pwns it's so great. Did you see the most played games according to xfire?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard