DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Wow. I wasn't expecting much due mostly to all the nay-sayers who were saying it was just going to be like the original. It felt like a new game to me. I didn't feel you could use the exact same strategies as L4D1 to the same effect (and you can tell they changed the zombie behavior based on feedback), and was surprised by how much new stuff there actually was. There's not a real incentive to use the melee weapons though, due to the infinite ammo, unless expecting real up close action because the range just makes the pistol a valuable asset. Still not sure if I'm going to buy it, but the demo was quite pleasurable the first time 'round.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6323|West NY
Not buying this. From playing the Xbox 360 demo it already feels like just sloppy and repetitive gameplay. I'm not so sure why so many people came when they played the first game or this demo.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6439

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Everything in Fallout 2 could have been in Fallout 1.

Everything in KotOR2 could have been in KotOR1.

Everything in DOOM 2 could have been in DOOM 1.

Everything in GTA San Andres could have been in Vice City, and everything in Vice City could have been in GTA III.

And I doubt no one complained much about having to pay full price for these sequels. Fuck L4D2 isn't even going for $50, if you pre-order it with 3 other people it will only cost $33.50, that's a fucking great price considering how much content is going to be in the game out of the box.
It's not great price for a game that is bad.

I remember playing L4D's demo first time and damn it felt like a good game. This? Pure shit. It's worse than L4D.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5604|Southern California
This game is much funner to grief than the first one.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516

Everything in DOOM 2 could have been in DOOM 1.

Everything in GTA San Andres could have been in Vice City, and everything in Vice City could have been in GTA III.

And I doubt no one complained much about having to pay full price for these sequels. Fuck L4D2 isn't even going for $50, if you pre-order it with 3 other people it will only cost $33.50, that's a fucking great price considering how much content is going to be in the game out of the box.
Bad comparison. L4D1 content was promised, you can have it for $33.50*.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

L4D1 was fun, but definitely not worth the price, and by the looks of it, neither is L4D2. I might try out the demo, but first Dragon Age: Origins and then Shattered Horizon
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

etc
And yes Valve's reasoning (well, the line they've told us) is that the reason there's a sequel is because the new content wouldn't work in Left 4 Dead. Or the new something wouldn't work. Either way it was a complete lie from the looks of things.

Not only that but you listed a bunch of singleplayer games. I have no problem with singleplayer games getting fairly quick sequels. Multiplayer games on the other hand are supposed to last a very long time.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6593|EU

What a shit... yesterday installed public demo, played and uninstalled to forget about it.

Its even worse than I expected, not worth of such money. When its 9€ Ill get it just to have it on my games list. Thats all so far ...
DesertFox-

-MetaL* wrote:

This game is much funner to grief than the first one.
There's a bit of a tradeoff there. On one hand, you can close safe room doors again so no noob just lets the horde in (although he can still run for it and get himself killed), but they're trusting the players with boomer bile, which could all go wrong in the hands of certain people.
I do like how the pissy people are still complaining about it. I suppose it's better to be stubborn than a hypocrite though.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

DesertFox- wrote:

I do like how the pissy people are still complaining about it. I suppose it's better to be stubborn than a hypocrite though.
Or maybe we actually think its not very good?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
Personally I'm pleased with it, and I'm willing to pay $45 for this game. We all assign different amounts to it, yoda's may not be the same as desertfox's even if they thought the game was the same quality.

I'm excited for VS and the new game modes. More guns, more SI = more win.
DesertFox-
I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread, since I was unsure who exactly held what opinion before playing the demo. I was pretty impartial going in to the demo anyway because most of what I knew about the game was hearsay, which made the surprise of the spitters, riot cops, and new weapons much better. In making that post, I was referring to a certain group of people on IRC I was talking to at the time.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

DesertFox- wrote:

I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread, since I was unsure who exactly held what opinion before playing the demo.
Well basically, my feelings are like so:

I feel strongly that this 2nd game shouldn't exist because they should have just expanded and improved the first game instead. Like they said they were going to. It has soooo much potential and very little of it was realised.

However I was looking forward to the demo, so I could try out this new stuff Valve has been going on about for months.

I found the demo extremely disappointing, and still believe this 2nd game shouldn't exist. Even more strongly than before even.

I think the stuff that was needlessly changed is all bad. The new characters. The new setting. The new music. The new HUD. The new IN YOUR FACE weapon models. All the old stuff was better. Miles better. Especially the characters.

However the additions, like the new SI and the uncommon common infected are improvements designed to prevent corner camping and therefore should have all been added to L4D1, along with some items like the boomer bile thing etc etc.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-11-04 15:03:32)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

tbh I have never played any L4D. I decided to play the demo (house empty, bass up, lights off) ... it fucking rocked.
DesertFox-
I must say, I had been playing on SP when I first went through, and I just got to playing the cooperative campaign today. It was quite fun to get the cooperation, and I was playing with people who hadn't gone through the demo yet, so it was a cool experience to be the seasoned veteran of the L4D2 demo, relatively speaking. It was rather funny too, because it was the first time those people had seen a spitter or a jockey, which resulted in "what the fuck was that?" being asked over voice chat. Thoroughly enjoyable experience, 'twas.
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5690|Gulf Coast

I'm downloading the demo for xbox now. I never played the first one but a friend suggested I give the new demo a shot....we'll see.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

El Beardo wrote:

I'm downloading the demo for xbox now. I never played the first one but a friend suggested I give the new demo a shot....we'll see.
If you've never played the first you'll probably have a great time.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

El Beardo wrote:

also he's on a 360.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5690|Gulf Coast

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

El Beardo wrote:

Yeah it was pretty cool. I thought it was cool that mp mode was available even in the demo. The guns were cool, AK47 was my fave and the guitar as a melee weapon was pretty funny and the molotovs were pretty intense. A friend of mine joined in and we went through the first two boards. We basically wondered around through the streets picking off small groups with the occasional extra tough zombie and then every few minutes we would get swarmed by 30-40 zombies at a time and that's basically how it played out. It was fun don't get me wrong but I'm not sure it would be worth the money if the entire game was that way. Did anyone who played the first one find it to be repetitve? I'm still can't decide if I want this.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
It gets pretty intense at high levels and 4 players. If you just went around with your buddy on normal difficulty I imagine it would be quite mundane.

VS is the real gem of L4D, and probably what "saves" L4D2 from buckets of negativity from the player base.
dill13
+67|6163

Bevo wrote:

It gets pretty intense at high levels and 4 players. If you just went around with your buddy on normal difficulty I imagine it would be quite mundane.

VS is the real gem of L4D, and probably what "saves" L4D2 from buckets of negativity from the player base.
I hate vs with a passion and I could see no good reason for not at least making everything in l4d2 into at least a $10 expansion if not free. the new hud is shit bring back the old one valve.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

El Beardo wrote:

Did anyone who played the first one find it to be repetitve? I'm still can't decide if I want this.
Yes, co-op/singleplayer was the most repetitive game i've played in a very very long time. It has extremely 1 dimensional gameplay. You shoot zombies. That's it.

However as Bevo mentioned, VS mode offers an always changing and completely unique game mode that, if you play with a good group of people, can be incredibly fun.

The problem is though that you get in a game with a good group of people once every 20 games or so if you're lucky. Most of my L4D time was spent in frustration, either at people leaving as soon as you start winning (this happens nearly every round and you end up back in the lobby), or people joining to annoy others, as it is a very easy-to-grieve game. Either that or the people you play against plain suck so you only get to play infected for about 1 minute before they all die and you have to play as the boring survivors again straight away after a long slog as them. And the L4D team, as always, did nothing whatsoever to try and improve the gameplay.

I've had about 4-5 good games of L4D VS this year.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-11-06 03:50:09)

Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5953|Perth, Australia
The demo is too easy. Even on expert it really isn't all that difficult. Passed it with a mate on expert using melee only, twas quite humourous.

Singleplayer is actually pretty fun if you try and speedrun it. Going for the fastest time at least sets you a challenge and makes things a bit more interesting as you have to plan routes and avoid zombies. Although one bad spawn and the whole run can be ruined

Still waiting on vs. Really want to get my hands on the new infected and get my grief on. I also really hope that you can use the new infected on the old l4d maps, although i'm sure there will be problems if they do that.
DesertFox-

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

El Beardo wrote:

Did anyone who played the first one find it to be repetitve? I'm still can't decide if I want this.
Yes, co-op/singleplayer was the most repetitive game i've played in a very very long time. It has extremely 1 dimensional gameplay. You shoot zombies. That's it.

However as Bevo mentioned, VS mode offers an always changing and completely unique game mode that, if you play with a good group of people, can be incredibly fun.

The problem is though that you get in a game with a good group of people once every 20 games or so if you're lucky. Most of my L4D time was spent in frustration, either at people leaving as soon as you start winning (this happens nearly every round and you end up back in the lobby), or people joining to annoy others, as it is a very easy-to-grieve game. Either that or the people you play against plain suck so you only get to play infected for about 1 minute before they all die and you have to play as the boring survivors again straight away after a long slog as them. And the L4D team, as always, did nothing whatsoever to try and improve the gameplay.

I've had about 4-5 good games of L4D VS this year.
I'm sorry you've had such traumatic experiences, but how much of that can you actually blame on the game? I've had rounds with people who are complete idiots too, like those who would jump off the cliff in Blood Harvest at the beginning and fuck you over for that round/match, but I still managed to get enough games in that were great fun.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
I got it so that I can use the special infected in the demo. Charger = RAEP MASHINEEN! Spitter was pretty fun too, and I never had a good opportunity to use the Jockey. Also the Smoker seems fucked somehow, like I am in range of a survivor, and I have a clear shot but but still can't grab him, and also sometimes when I do have a shot, say I am looking at Coach, I end up pulling Nick who's no where near where I am aiming at.

Also Hunter seems to be easier to pounce people, and Boomer I haven't noticed any differences.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard