Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
Yes, I pre-ordered. Yes, I said I wouldn't. No, I'm not disappointed that I did.

- Much better looking. Prettier. Gore. Zombies that react properly to gunshots. More effects.

- Melee weapons. Sweeeeet. From the few available in the demo (frying pan, machete, guitar, baton) they all have different strengths and weaknesses and are all slightly different.

- New pistol(s?). Magnum. Oh my sweet lord, I love it. It's what the ambassador never was. Powerful, deadly.

- New weapons (from what was avail in demo). Another version of the shottie. Couldn't much tell the difference from the pump. New sniper rifle, felt similar to the hunting rifle. AK - slowish rate of fire but powerful and fun. Silenced SMG - well, pretty much like the SMG from L4d with a silencer strapped on. From the new weapons available in the demo, I feel that they should have diversified the guns a little bit more. The new sniper rifle has the same sounds at the hunting rifle.

- New "items". Boomer bile = sex. Threw it on a tank, lulz ensued. Very useful. Adrenaline. Very nice in a tight spot, lets you do a lot of stuff quickly. Effects wear off after 10 or so seconds. Replaces pills. Defibs - scarce but very useful as well. Doesn't take too long to defib someone.

- New special infected. Wow, VS is going to be so much fun. The spitter is downright nasty on expert if she catches you by surprised, and sometimes uses area denial which forces you to either stop and fight or run through and lose health. Great mechanic. Charger - very cool, painful. Has a smoker-like mechanic of taking someone far away from other survivors, real nasty if they catch a loner. Jockeys are very small on screen until they hop on someone, which is neat. They're hard to kill before they find a "ride", but not too difficult after that. Witches now roam, and otherwise about the same. There's female boomers (and smokers?), too. All of them got a cosmetic touch-up, looks great.

- Maps. The two maps of the first campaign were kind of short, which was sad. Perhaps it was just the first one that was short. Hopefully the rest of them are a bit longer. I like the style, and that it's not always just pitch black.

- Assorted. AI director got much smarter. In expert they'll throw 3 or even 4 special infected at you at the same time. It sucks balls to be hit by a charger while trying to take out a tank, and then the next second you're covered in boomer bile. Really forces teamwork and cooperation. It seems like there's a few more hordes that pop in and out, and larger groups of zombies that just stand around. You can either take chances of being hit or waste a pipe bomb/molotov. The armored zombies are a great addition too, they really mess up the corner - shoot at head level - push back - reload - shoot - repeat cycle that seems to happen when fighting normal zombies. You have to hit them in the legs, back, or hit them with certain melees such as the frying pan. The machete apparently won't go through their body armor. Push back/gun melee timer - ehh. I suppose it's just a visual change from l4d. There's also a crosshair that appears on special infected when they have your teammates, and also on the back of those armored zombies. A good helper I think.

Will format if I get the time.
Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
Omfg

I love this game, only played 2 rounds.

Soooooo much better than the first, which was already like a 9.5 in my books.
­
­
­
­
­
­
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Do you think it'll be worth $50?

I got my L4D1 for $25 and I feel that it was moderately worth it. Would have hated myself if I paid in full for it though.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

damn, didn't see the AK or a tank.  but what i did see was pretty good.  frying pan sucks imo, guitar is good, nightstick/machete are alright.  did see a SPAS-12 and the SCAR (which fires in bursts).  i was a little disappointed they recycled some sounds.  the hunter pounce animation (the blurry thing?) seems a little cartoonish to me.  i do like the new sounds though.  smokers have been buffed! o/\o
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

haffeysucks wrote:

damn, didn't see the AK or a tank.  but what i did see was pretty good.  frying pan sucks imo, guitar is good, nightstick/machete are alright.  did see a SPAS-12 and the SCAR (which fires in bursts).  i was a little disappointed they recycled some sounds.  the hunter pounce animation (the blurry thing?) seems a little cartoonish to me.  i do like the new sounds though.  smokers have been buffed! o/\o
Frying pan is great against those armored guys and special infected if they're close. The range on it is super short though, so it sucks against regular infected. I killed a tank with one last night . Machete makes great bloody messes and I hear if you hit zombies in the stomach their entrails fall out.

I didn't see a SPAS-12 or SCAR, though.

I'm hyped for the nade launcher, incendiary and exploding ammo though. Woop!

Last edited by Bevo (2009-10-29 15:49:48)

Brasso
+1,549|6600

Bevo wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Frying pan is great against those armored guys and special infected if they're close. The range on it is super short though, so it sucks against regular infected. I killed a tank with one last night . Machete makes great bloody messes and I hear if you hit zombies in the stomach their entrails fall out.

I didn't see a SPAS-12 or SCAR, though.

I'm hyped for the nade launcher, incendiary and exploding ammo though. Woop!
agreed on the last part.  i didn't notice that with the machete, but i did shoot a far-away infected in the stomach with the sniper rifle.  a hole opened up, and their guts did fall out. 

edit: couple more things i remember now - FOV seems to be < 90 degrees and kinda zoomed in.  wish it were adjustable.  and there seems to be a slight input lag.  did anyone else notice that?

Last edited by haffeysucks (2009-10-30 03:58:05)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
--The first thing I noticed was, that L4D2 is unplayable if v-sync and multicore rendering are enabled.
Me, my friend and lots of other people on the forums get lags of up to twenty seconds whenever some action occurs on the screen or even a simply text appears. The screen freezes, sound is stuck in a loop and the PC speaker beeps on every keypress.
Of those two are disabled, everything works smoothly with everything else maxed out.

--There's a new speech function similar to BF2s commo rose when holding X, where you can execute predefined voice messages like taunts and thanks.

--The melee weapons are great fun.
Nothing better than bashing zombies with an e-guitar while you are listening to rock music on the juke box in the bar at the corner.
Also, melee weapons seem to be the better choice in some tight situations.

--The new semi-auto sniper rifle is great.

--Jockey zombies are the most annoying zombies now, as they can ride you into bad situations or right off of buildings.

--The single-use defibrillator to bring back a dead survivor is a good addition, especially in situations where the rest of a team is so bad that you have to wait ages until they'll find you in your closet.

--Ragdoll physics have been improved.
Most noticeable with pipebomb explosions and smokers falling down from roofs.

--Zombies can now be dismembered.

--Adrenaline shots to increase running speed.

--Event-specific music during play.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
I found the SPAS-12, but where did you find the SCAR haffey? They're a bit random but some seem to show up in the same place a few times.

Also, no issues with input lag, no. And FOV is... well, I don't know. It didn't really bother me, even if it is forced < 90. Promotes teamwork, yadda yadda.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
The two levels in the demo were rather short. I really hope that the other levels/campaigns are longer.

Might just be a subjective feeling because I already played the first game. I found the Crash Course campaign short too.
Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
I wonder if the Park is actually extended in the full game. There's a fence blocking off where the Magnum pistol is in the demo at the beginning of the Park level and in the L4D demo the 2nd stage was shortened in the demo
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Bevo wrote:

I found the SPAS-12, but where did you find the SCAR haffey? They're a bit random but some seem to show up in the same place a few times.

Also, no issues with input lag, no. And FOV is... well, I don't know. It didn't really bother me, even if it is forced < 90. Promotes teamwork, yadda yadda.
the SCAR was on the 2nd level, before you go into the vehicle that triggers the alarm.  there's a highway overpass above you, and there's a table next to a pillar underneath it.  the SCAR was on that table.  this table is right ahead of an alleyway.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
I haven't pre-ordered yet, but in Chem today the guy sitting in front of me was playing on his laptop, and I was having tons of fun from just watching him.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Remember the first L4D's demo was the entire first level, (and the first levels are always quite short,) and about four fifths of the second level - so the second L4D2 demo level may be incresed a bit in the full version.

I've played with all the tools on offer, (console fun,) and thy're all good, they've got their uses in their own way. The ammo seems to have decreased for things like the shotgun which is quite good 'cause I never seemed to run out of that in the first L4D. The pistols are wicked, they sound so much better and the mix + match double pistols is quite cool, (not to mention the Desert Eagle whih can only be wilded one at a time - but who cares right, it's awesome!)

The new infected all have their role to play and work well. The Witch's penchant for wanderig around during the day, (I think they still sit down at night,) is cool and you've got to watch your shots a lot more. I also noticed that in the first level they put an alarmed car in a place where it's pretty difficult to not set it off - which is good, it makes the car alarms more of a threat since they used to just give the resident jerk an opportunity to call the zombies.

The Source engine is looking remarkable for a five year-old and the new gore effects, (a moment of silence for our Australian friends,) are near unmatched. The AI Director has been given some new toys too, I've noticed a bit of level-tampering which I imagine will come into it's own with the full version.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5369|USA
oh dear I might have to give in >.<
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5394|Athens, GA
slicing heads of with the machete =
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Just started the pre-load for the public demo.

1% at 73kb/s. It's gonna be quite a slog. God damn BT. Gonna leave the computer on all night I think.
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438
You can preload the public demo?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Well I dunno. I mean. I did. It's all on my computer now. I was playing Killing Floor with NooBest last night, and when I shut the game down I got the message saying I could preload the public demo. But NooBest didn't. And while I can get onto the demo store page by right clicking on the preloaded game on my games list, I can't access it through the store manually. So yeah. I dunno what's going on. Obviously i'm getting special treatment.

Has anyone else been able to start loading it?

Edit. Also:

While playing the Left 4 Dead 2 demo, we noticed that our friends who were playing the original Left 4 Dead were showing up in in the main menu. Now why would players from the original Left 4 Dead have their online status displayed in Left 4 Dead 2? The only thing that comes to mind is the rumor/experimenting with linking the games that was on the web not too long ago. Valve aimed to bring both sides of Left 4 Dead fans together and stated they were attempting to link the 2 games. This little message under “Online Friends” in the main menu of Left 4 Dead 2 gives the rumor a big tank sized injection of reality. Hopefully this means we won’t have to leave Bill, Zoey, Francis and Louise behind. Only Valve and their super big vault of secrets know that answer. For now, we will have to wait a few more weeks till full release.
INTERESTING

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-10-31 08:14:31)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
very interesting.

Old characters in new l4d? Old maps with new characters? new special infected in old maps? VS? New modes in old l4d?

I like it already.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

I got the demo preload possibility too.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516
Demo just unlocked for everyone.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240
Yeah. Just starting it up. I have no doubt in my mind that the gameplay will be a lot better than the first game. But that's exactly why I believe it shouldn't exist. Instead of trying to recover the car crash of the first game (which had a lot of potential burried beneath the rubble and twisted metal), they just left it to die to work on the sequel. I think it was wrong. Very wrong.

Anyway. Here we go.

Edit:

Ok done a playthrough of singleplayer.

Well. I honestly didn't think i'd find myself saying this after all Valve have gone on about it, but I honestly don't see how it couldn't have been added to L4D. There was nothing in that game that felt new and fresh to me. Nothing. It felt like I was just trudging through a custom map.

Now bare in mind I had low expectations. I knew it would be similar to L4D. So when I say that I was disappointed with just how similar to L4D it was it must mean something.

Well they're my first impressions. Hopefully it'll be more fun, and.. new? when I play with other people.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-11-03 14:24:37)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Yeah. Just starting it up. I have no doubt in my mind that the gameplay will be a lot better than the first game. But that's exactly why I believe it shouldn't exist. Instead of trying to recover the car crash of the first game (which had a lot of potential burried beneath the rubble and twisted metal), they just left it to die to work on the sequel. I think it was wrong. Very wrong.

Anyway. Here we go.

Edit:

Ok done a playthrough of singleplayer.

Well. I honestly didn't think i'd find myself saying this after all Valve have gone on about it, but I honestly don't see how it couldn't have been added to L4D. There was nothing in that game that felt new and fresh to me. Nothing. It felt like I was just trudging through a custom map.

Now bare in mind I had low expectations. I knew it would be similar to L4D. So when I say that I was disappointed with just how similar to L4D it was it must mean something.

Well they're my first impressions. Hopefully it'll be more fun, and.. new? when I play with other people.
Felt like a L4D1 mod. The only AI director change I noticed was special infected attacking in groups. Everything else is just re-skinned and/or tweaked. The melee weapons are more of a gimmick since there is no point in switching from a more powerful gun that you can still melee with anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Doctor Strangelove
+1,758|6438
Everything in Fallout 2 could have been in Fallout 1.

Everything in KotOR2 could have been in KotOR1.

Everything in DOOM 2 could have been in DOOM 1.

Everything in GTA San Andres could have been in Vice City, and everything in Vice City could have been in GTA III.

And I doubt no one complained much about having to pay full price for these sequels. Fuck L4D2 isn't even going for $50, if you pre-order it with 3 other people it will only cost $33.50, that's a fucking great price considering how much content is going to be in the game out of the box.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

if you pre-order it with 3 other people it will only cost $33.50
o/\o

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard