steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon
http://www.pcworld.com/article/163938/k … game.html/

i totally want this game now that it's not coming out.  i don't see what the big deal is, most games are based on actual wars or conflicts, why should this one be different?

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-04-28 05:43:41)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

steelie34 wrote:

i totally want this game now that it's not coming out.  i don't see what the big deal is, most games are based on actual wars or conflicts, why should this one be different?
Because it is set in a current war?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
The irony is gamers will finsh the game within a couple of days.

I'd say it is too fresh in people's mind...let it sink into history before releasing it.
Much like 9/11, no one has re-created the event and filmed it yet as a movie (i think)
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5636|Southern California

loubot wrote:

I'd say it is too fresh in people's mind...let it sink into history before releasing it.
Much like 9/11, no one has re-created the event and filmed it yet as a movie (i think)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

loubot wrote:

theres been at least two, the one about the flight where the passengers regained control (sort of), and some one from the firefighters POV with the guy from conair in.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5984
Because its a contentious issue regarding the possible war crimes that were comitted in Fallujah

i.e. use of white phosphorous, killing of civilians, use of cluster bombs and so forth. It hasnt really been resolved yet. It wasnt a glorious battle, it was dirty warfare and a chapter in the Iraq war I dont imagine the U.S. are too proud of.

I think its good that they respect the veteran's requests and pulled the plug. What they need to do is ensure its 100% accurate and faithful to what really happened there, and thats what they cant do because its still not clear what happened there.

From whichever way you look at it; U.S. are war criminals who slaughtered civilians and ignored the geneva convention or that the insurgents were a ruthless enemy that neccessitated that kind of action, it needs to be accurate.

I mean how many Vietnam games are there. Another unresolved conflict, with a lot of grey areas. In World War 2 it was relatively clear; Germans and Japanese were the bad guys
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH

-MetaL* wrote:

loubot wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

FatherTed wrote:

loubot wrote:

theres been at least two, the one about the flight where the passengers regained control (sort of), and some one from the firefighters POV with the guy from conair in.
i thought so.....thanks
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6667|NT, like Mick Dundee

Bah, they develop a computer simulation using sight, sound, smell and touch to help treat PTSD sufferers from Iraq but they want a game censored. That article is quite correct when it points out that no other mediums examining the Iraq War didn't face opposition. There's a trivialisation of computer games and comic books that is ignorant of the more mature side to both mediums.

Thrask who's to say the developers weren't doing that? Weren't attempting to create an apolitical game that examined things on the ground from the soldier's perspective to help the general gaming populace get a handle on the extreme complexities facing the rifleman in the combat environment presented by the insurgency in Iraq. The game didn't get a chance to really be unveiled to the public. The screenshots I saw hardly painted it as Battlefield Heroes: Fallujah though. It seemed like a mature take on a piece of living, modern, history.

I'd be interested to see the opinions of some of our very own Iraq vets.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6383|the land of bourbon
there are a lot of vietnam games on the market.  there was also a black hawk down game.  and most modern shooters today are based in middle east areas with urban fighting.  i don't see why putting that name on the game should get it pulled.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
iNfinity.
+12|5645|Norway
This game look s kinda good but look at other shooter games why should THIS game be canceled?
rdx-fx
+955|6593
Where's the feature where you get (simulated) killed by an IED at the loading screen, before you even get to play, then your PC bursts into flames and you're immolated where you sit?

Oh, right.  It's just a game.

Any game is going to remove two major factors that separate real warfare from game warfare;

1) Fairness. In a game, there are attempts to balance the teams, declare when the shooting/match begins, and generally give both sides as much of an even chance as possible.  Real warfare.. not so much.  Real warfare, you might be dead before you ever realize you're in combat.  Real warfare isn't about fairness, it's about accomplishing your objective.  The less fair you fight, the more likely all of your people get to go home intact & alive.

2) Mortality.  Games have respawn - real life does not. In a game it's easy to go in, hero like,  guns blazing.  Now, in contrast, imagine a game where getting killed once means you are banned from using a PC for the rest of your life.  Little more cautious now, eh?

The beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan was a little too much for some veterans of that operation.  I don't recall any WW-2 veterans groups asking to ban that movie though.  It was more along the lines of "Hey, if you were part of the Normandy landings, you might want to go grab a popcorn & soda during that scene. It's ... yeah.. "

Sucks when a scene in a movie tracks too closely with one of your memories, then your body starts reacting to the memory.  To paraphrase a line from Animal House here , "dizzy, sweating, and full of adrenalin is no way to go through a movie, son."  The spinning helicopter crash in Blackhawk Down did it for me, the first time I saw the film in a theater.  Just went outside, grabbed a smoke (or three) while I waited for the cold & rain to cool me off.

Edit: tl;dr? F U, L2R & take your Ritalin

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-04-28 10:26:33)

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5613|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)
https://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/26/633763437442244440-marines.jpg

Seriously
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6520|Montucky
I don't know tbh.

i went through Operation Phantom Fury..
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5597

thraSK wrote:

I mean how many Vietnam games are there. Another unresolved conflict, with a lot of grey areas. In World War 2 it was relatively clear; Germans and Japanese were the bad guys
The Allies Fire Bombed Axis Cities, also America interned innocent Japanese Civilians aswell as dropped two A-bombs on Japan; but you have a problem with cluster bombs and white phosphorus wat.

Last edited by ColCarnage (2009-04-28 16:40:32)

SofaKing18
L33TGamerz.com
+7|5500|Rainbowland
I can't wait for this. It sounds so cool!
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5613|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

ColCarnage wrote:

thraSK wrote:

The Allies Fire Bombed Axis Cities, also America interned innocent Japanese Civilians aswell as dropped two A-bombs on Japan; but you have a problem with cluster bombs and white phosphorus wat.
Atomic Bombs saved an estimated 14 million people
Flecco
iPod is broken.

nickb64 wrote:

ColCarnage wrote:

thraSK wrote:

Atomic Bombs saved an estimated 14 million people
Yet Noam Chomsky has provided multiple primary sources saying that the Japanese were trying to negotiate an agreement on the surrender of the entire nation's military when they were dropped. Gg.

Wish I still had Failed States so I could provide them.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6769
This game seems about as tasteless as Black Hawk Down
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

Where's the feature where you get (simulated) killed by an IED at the loading screen, before you even get to play, then your PC bursts into flames and you're immolated where you sit?

Oh, right.  It's just a game.

Any game is going to remove two major factors that separate real warfare from game warfare;

1) Fairness. In a game, there are attempts to balance the teams, declare when the shooting/match begins, and generally give both sides as much of an even chance as possible.  Real warfare.. not so much.  Real warfare, you might be dead before you ever realize you're in combat.  Real warfare isn't about fairness, it's about accomplishing your objective.  The less fair you fight, the more likely all of your people get to go home intact & alive.

2) Mortality.  Games have respawn - real life does not. In a game it's easy to go in, hero like,  guns blazing.  Now, in contrast, imagine a game where getting killed once means you are banned from using a PC for the rest of your life.  Little more cautious now, eh?

The beach landing scene in Saving Private Ryan was a little too much for some veterans of that operation.  I don't recall any WW-2 veterans groups asking to ban that movie though.  It was more along the lines of "Hey, if you were part of the Normandy landings, you might want to go grab a popcorn & soda during that scene. It's ... yeah.. "

Sucks when a scene in a movie tracks too closely with one of your memories, then your body starts reacting to the memory.  To paraphrase a line from Animal House here , "dizzy, sweating, and full of adrenalin is no way to go through a movie, son."  The spinning helicopter crash in Blackhawk Down did it for me, the first time I saw the film in a theater.  Just went outside, grabbed a smoke (or three) while I waited for the cold & rain to cool me off.

man that's fucked up about the black hawk down thing, but it does amaze me how WW2 vets seemingly cope with so much in terms of the media etc.. or even alot of things in general. Or maybe it's because they part of an older generation who don't really follow modern media/hollywood/video games so it doesn't really affect them much, what you can't see or hear can't remind you, kinda like facebook and ex girlfriends........well except a thousand times worse

Anyway on topic, there's already been so many movies and theatricals and docu-dramas about the Iraqistan wars, but this video game was considered too far it seems...

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-04-28 18:21:57)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

rdx-fx wrote:

You were in a heli crash? Or you saw one go down?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

ColCarnage wrote:

thraSK wrote:

And Germany fire-bombed England, gassed/burned millions of civilians and Japan condoned ritual cannibalism, germ warfare, systematic rape, etc.

The US interned American civilians of Japanese descent...not Japanese civilians.

Yeah...war sucks.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5984

ColCarnage wrote:

thraSK wrote:

I wouldnt say I have a 'problem' with it as such, I tried to be neutral in my post but you must have misinterpreted it. Thats beside the point; how many games depict the fire bombing of dresden anyway

They all depict 'heroic' battles (stalingrad, d-day, battle of the bulge) where 'good' triumphed. And not many people know the real stories of those battles, because they've been diluted so much through their depictions in media (i.e. enemy at the gates)

War is ugly, and doesnt really lend itself well to media. People are going to play this game and think that this is what happened in Fallujah, when it might not be true, and the actual truth may be something they dont want to show because its horrible

Should've just gone fictional and done something different. FPS' dont have to be set in the middle east during the present day. How about a Cold War FPS where shit gets real
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5938
Got canceled because it failed and was unrealistic.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6696|The Ville

loubot wrote:

Nicholas Cage starred as a officer if I remembered correctly. " I'm not joking either."

Last edited by Obiwan (2009-04-28 21:29:32)

Flecco
iPod is broken.

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Got canceled because it failed and was unrealistic.
The fuck m8? As far as I know all that they'd gotten out were a bunch of screenshots.

Btw, they consulted with a whole bunch of your beloved Marines who were in the battle to try depict a series of events that were factually accurate to what happened there along with a realistic representation of the insurgent's tactics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard