notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6744|The United Center

Poseidon wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Okposo's gonna be a fantastic player for us. He started the season off slow but is rapidly getting better. Weight AND Guerin will retire I bet. We're a team of old fogies and young punks. Unlike you, we haven't had much success in rebuilding.

Tavares is gonna be fantastic as well. He broke The Great One's OHL goal record...that's insane.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic. Btw, no mention of Byfuglien?

But I digress.

Have you thought about NYC? You said you had family there? Honestly, NYC's in-freaking-credible. Unlike any other city I've ever been in. It's not too far away from the mountains either. Short drive upstate.
Yeah, I seriously considered NYC when my best friend moved to Brooklyn.  While it's a really fucking cool city, it's one of those places that I really enjoyed visiting...but I don't think I'd want to actually live there.
All comes down to personal preference, I suppose. Honestly, if you can afford it, it sounds like San Jose would be the perfect fit for you. But that again brings up the question of affordability and whether it's really worth it or not.

Are you really sure you want to move? Ever thought of moving somewhere else in Chicago? I'm not familiar with it so I'm not sure how it's set up. I have to visit one day, though...I never got to visit the WTC so visiting the Sears Tower is on my bucket list.
The thing is...I've never been to San Jose...so everything I'm saying about it is just from what I've heard about it.  I HAVE been to LA though...numerous times...and I love it out there.  Plus, I've wanted to move there for the past three or four years...and I've just never done it. 

As for living somewhere else in Chicago...it's not that I don't like where I live...because I do.  I'm just bored here...and I want to move somewhere new.

And you should definitely visit here.  It's an amazing city, especially in the spring and fall.  I've just lived here for almost two decades...and I want something new.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

DesertFox- wrote:

What about a short jaunt over to Naperville?
Haha, actually, I grew up in La Grange.  I've been to Naperville quite a few times.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6630

I <3 LA

Was
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6633|South Jersey
I was gonna say Philly, but Wreck beat me to it. 

Everything you asked for in your OP is basically satisfied.  It's a large city, but not enormous like LA, NYC, or Chi.  The Jersey shore is a not-too-bad drive away.  As for wilderness, all you have to do is go west and you'll hit burbs, then farms, then mountains/forests.  For the dog you want, Philly has the largest city park in the US(Fairmount park).  Plus the hockey team here is
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

ThomasMorgan wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I would go southern California, but steer clear of the OC. Inland Empire, San Diego County, LA County, the Valley, all great places.

Lots of mountain biking. You can go with me.
Where have you been?  I haven't seen you in forever.

And yeah, two of my best friends live in LA.  I just don't really want to live IN the city.  SoCal would be fucking sweet though.
Where have I been.. Good question.

Whats your price range for a place? That might help in the narrowing. Oregoneans can't even pump their own gas. Fails.

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

hey there thomas!!  i think you may like colorado!
Haha, while Colorado is awesome...my job can't transfer me there.  I CAN get transferred to pretty much anywhere in California though.
You still work at TJ's?

Last edited by stryyker (2009-02-03 17:54:44)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6321|New Haven, CT

stryyker wrote:

Whats your price range for a place? That might help in the narrowing. Oregonians can't even pump their own gas. Fails.
We also have no sales tax. Not fails.

Also, Portland is one of the most bike-friendly cities in America, if you plan to use that as your primary means of transportation.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2009-02-03 18:09:20)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

stryyker wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

stryyker wrote:

I would go southern California, but steer clear of the OC. Inland Empire, San Diego County, LA County, the Valley, all great places.

Lots of mountain biking. You can go with me.
Where have you been?  I haven't seen you in forever.

And yeah, two of my best friends live in LA.  I just don't really want to live IN the city.  SoCal would be fucking sweet though.
Where have I been.. Good question.

Whats your price range for a place? That might help in the narrowing. Oregoneans can't even pump their own gas. Fails.

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

hey there thomas!!  i think you may like colorado!
Haha, while Colorado is awesome...my job can't transfer me there.  I CAN get transferred to pretty much anywhere in California though.
You still work at TJ's?
Yeah, which is pretty sweet.  I can just be like "hey, I want to transfer" and they'll be all "oh, cool.  Here are the papers"
NantanCochise
+55|5976|Portugal/United States
Out of the citys you chose Id seriously reccomend SF/Bay Area. Lived there only a year but adored it and weather is a lot better than Portland and Seattle respectively.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6652

I'm gonna hop on the Orange County train with Ken here. It's a great place. I lived there in the same house for 18 years before moving off to college in Los Angeles. I enjoy both places. And I know you guys already talked about it, but it bears repeating; yes you can live without a car here, but you'll need lots of time on your hands to take public transportation.

For the past 3 summers I've taken summer classes at my school while living at home, and I'd get a ride to the train station, take the subway from Union Station as far as it'll go, then hop on an express bus, and the overall time of the trip was around 2 hours. Still not that bad. My main complaint is that the bus times and locations are so few and far between in OC... but then again, it is the suburbs and not the main city.

I would also say be prepared to deal with a lot of stuck-up, prick, rich people, but it depends where you live. There are plenty of great places and people around, but I just happened to live in a middle class neighborhood and had to go to school with a couple thousand spoiled brats who live in the sheltered upper-class area nearby. Not fun.

Oh, and being in biking distance to the beach
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.

mtb0minime wrote:

I'm gonna hop on the Orange County train with Ken here. It's a great place. I lived there in the same house for 18 years before moving off to college in Los Angeles. I enjoy both places. And I know you guys already talked about it, but it bears repeating; yes you can live without a car here, but you'll need lots of time on your hands to take public transportation.

For the past 3 summers I've taken summer classes at my school while living at home, and I'd get a ride to the train station, take the subway from Union Station as far as it'll go, then hop on an express bus, and the overall time of the trip was around 2 hours. Still not that bad. My main complaint is that the bus times and locations are so few and far between in OC... but then again, it is the suburbs and not the main city.

I would also say be prepared to deal with a lot of stuck-up, prick, rich people, but it depends where you live. There are plenty of great places and people around, but I just happened to live in a middle class neighborhood and had to go to school with a couple thousand spoiled brats who live in the sheltered upper-class area nearby. Not fun.

Oh, and being in biking distance to the beach
Yeah, I'm DEFINITELY bringing my bike with me wherever I choose to go.  It'll be my number one form of transportation.
Reciprocity
+721|6578|the dank(super) side of Oregon

stryyker wrote:

Oregoneans can't even pump their own gas. Fails.
Yeah, you sit in your car while someone else does all the work and it doesn't cost you any more than any other place.  It's terrible.  Portland is a nice city.  But so are Seattle and San Francisco.  The LA area and San Jose have lots to do, but the scenery depresses the shit out of me.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

Reciprocity wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Oregoneans can't even pump their own gas. Fails.
Yeah, you sit in your car while someone else does all the work and it doesn't cost you any more than any other place.  It's terrible.  Portland is a nice city.  But so are Seattle and San Francisco.  The LA area and San Jose have lots to do, but the scenery depresses the shit out of me.
Service having backwards ass motherfuckers, the lot of you.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
Well, after talking to my friend in Hollywood for a few hours...and talking to Stryyker on here...

It looks like, as of now, I'll be aiming to move out to LA in August.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Well, after talking to my friend in Hollywood for a few hours...and talking to Stryyker on here...

I'm going to Yosemite to hike Half-Dome in August, the more the merrier
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6717|California

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

John Muir Trail > Half Dome
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
I heard that LA was a hell-hole but it's good for you to do what you want. Can I crash at your pad when visiting my USC friends?

Last edited by DesertFox- (2009-02-04 15:49:15)

GR34
+215|6543|ALBERTA> CANADA
Medicine Hat Alberta canada
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

stryyker wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

John Muir Trail > Half Dome
I've done about 45 miles total of the JM Trail.  It's definitely a goal of mine to complete all 200+ miles.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard