OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6650|Washington DC

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

If a Hollywood actor can run for President then there is no such thing as being 'qualified' to run for President.
Exactly, and he was pretty good at it too. Just reinforces the fact that career politicians or people that have been in the game for a long time = fail

OrangeHound wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Yeah, and GWB had a load of experience as well.

Governor of Texas, 1994-2000
Candidate, United States House of Representatives, 1978.

So his entire political career before becoming president was one term as the governor of Texas.
You are ignoring 10 years as a business entrepreneur and manager in the oil industry, plus about 5 years as business leadership of the Texas Rangers (baseball).

Combined with the governorship, that's nearly 20 years of executive experience.
Wow, that is alot of experience. And you're right, his presidency reflects just how much experience he has. It wouldn't have been as successful as it was and is without all this experience.
Actually, if it hadn't been for the Iraq war decision, he hasn't had a bad Presidency ... but, yuck, that war decision sort of washes everything else away.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

If a Hollywood actor can run for President then there is no such thing as being 'qualified' to run for President.
Dude, Swarzenegger can't run.  Quit wishing.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK

lowing wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Exactly, and he was pretty good at it too. Just reinforces the fact that career politicians or people that have been in the game for a long time = fail

OrangeHound wrote:

You are ignoring 10 years as a business entrepreneur and manager in the oil industry, plus about 5 years as business leadership of the Texas Rangers (baseball).

Combined with the governorship, that's nearly 20 years of executive experience.
Wow, that is alot of experience. And you're right, his presidency reflects just how much experience he has. It wouldn't have been as successful as it was and is without all this experience.
Hmmm, you must all be refering to the former governor of California Ronald Reagan
20 years - wanky pokey B list actor
8 years - Governor of Cali

YAY! I am now qualified as POTUS.  Happy days.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6691|Tampa Bay Florida

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Well not all of them... just most of them.
Pug

Spearhead wrote:

what about Palin?? (finally I can say it)

And only a moron would think "experience" starts from when he's voted to US Sentate.  Thats "political experience".  Not the same thing.
This logic only works on Palin, not Obama?  Yet, it's bad for McCain to use this logic against Obama but its okay re: Palin?

Irony
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Pug wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

And only a moron would think "experience" starts from when he's voted to US Sentate.  Thats "political experience".  Not the same thing.
This logic only works on Palin, not Obama?  Yet, it's bad for McCain to use this logic against Obama but its okay re: Palin?

Irony
You're right, its irony for the GOP to bring experience into this.

They bitch and moan about Obama not having experience, then they bring in Sarah Palin.  When I said "what about Palin?", I'm asking them to apply the same rules to her as they applied to Obama. I'm not bashing anything about Palin.  I'm saying it's not fair game to criticize Obamas lack of experience when McCains VP is just as inexperienced as he is.

Please read what I put down and not make assumptions...

This is just the clusterfuck the GOP needed at this point.  All this BS discussion about experience this experience that, Obamas not experienced enough, but what about Palin?  But what about Obama?  Hell you started the conversation, why dont you tell me? 

Meanwhile the issues at hand are being ignored.  I wonder why.  Why would the GOP want to deflect attention away from the issues and instead going into character assassination wars.  hmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-09-09 12:17:33)

TrueMusou
+36|6162|United States Of Hamerica

Spearhead wrote:

Pug wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Irony

They bitch and moan about Obama not having experience, then they bring in Sarah Palin.  When I said "what about Palin?", I'm asking them to apply the same rules to her as they applied to Obama. I'm not bashing anything about Palin.  I'm saying it's not fair game to criticize Obamas lack of experience when McCains VP is just as inexperienced as he is.

This is just the clusterfuck the GOP needed at this point.  All this BS discussion about experience this experience that, Obamas not experienced enough, but what about Palin?  But what about Obama?  Hell you started the conversation, why dont you tell me? 

Meanwhile the issues at hand are being ignored.  I wonder why.  Why would the GOP want to deflect attention away from the issues and instead going into character assassination wars.  hmmmmmmmm.
GOP is trying to detract us from the fact that McCain is, more or less, a continuation of the Bush administration (despite what McCain wants us to believe at the moment). It's been a character assassination the moment Obama beat out Clinton. I mean, he's a well spoken, likable, African American who vows to bring change in D.C. He's got a large backing from mainstream media and low-middle class Americans. It's a powerful asset for Obama, and to the GOP is damn threatening. GOP will pull out ALL the stops to try to deface "Paris Hilton," ~I mean, "Britney Spears," uhh...."Madonna?" No, Obama, that's right!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

I want to know what idiot actually types up this drivel and blasts it out.
Pierre
I hunt criminals down for a living
+68|6676|Belgium

Pug wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Irony
Knowing that chances are McCain will die during his term and Palin will have to step in, her experience does count.
Pug

Spearhead wrote:

And yet there's a thread out there with you criticizing Palin's experience not being equal to Obama's.  I think it was a "WTF Alaska?  Polar bears and shit" (paraphrasing for you).   So I'm the one with the double standards right?

Pierre wrote:

Knowing that chances are McCain will die during his term and Palin will have to step in, her experience does count.
And is this more or less important than having the actual president have experience?
Vax
+42|5853|Flyover country

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I want to know what idiot actually types up this drivel and blasts it out.
Me too. Who is responsible for chain email crap like this..I hope it isn't any actual Mccain campaign operative.

Aside from the "143 days" part being questionable, they are ignoring his 7 years in the Illinois Senate.
Also I think he was president of harvard law review, and taught constitutional law at Chicago University for 12 years.

m3thod wrote:

20 years - wanky pokey B list actor
8 years - Governor of Cali

YAY! I am now qualified as POTUS.  Happy days.
Governor of California is pretty much like running a country. And as mentioned previously, neither Mac nor Barack has much executive experience... governors are elected as presidents far more often than legislators.

Last edited by Vax (2008-09-09 13:13:43)

Pierre
+68|6676|Belgium

Pug wrote:

Pierre wrote:

And is this more or less important than having the actual president have experience?
Both should have the needed qualities to run a government. But a presidency is a team, he or she isn't alone. Or do you believe GWB had qualities on his own?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

What was he doing at the 2004 DNC?

lol@gladiator music.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug

Pierre wrote:

Pug wrote:

Pierre wrote:

Both should have the needed qualities to run a government. But a presidency is a team, he or she isn't alone. Or do you believe GWB had qualities on his own?
What is this answer a question with a question day?

Duties of the Vice President:
1) Step in when president is incapacitated
2) Cast a deciding vote for the Senate if the vote is 50-50.
3) Other duties: None.  Spokesperson (or Spokesmodel if Palin)

That is all.  So unless the Pres drops dead, the only excitement a VP gets is to vote...IF and only IF the senate has a tie vote of 50-50.  And then, the bill goes up to the president for veto or approval.

So I ask you again: is it more important to have experience if you are ACTUALLY making decisions versus WATCHING people make decisions?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Pug wrote:

And yet there's a thread out there with you criticizing Palin's experience not being equal to Obama's.  I think it was a "WTF Alaska?  Polar bears and shit" (paraphrasing for you).   So I'm the one with the double standards right?
Sorry Pug, wasnt me.  Well, maybe it was.  I might've been drunk.  Can you find it for me?

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-09-09 15:05:37)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6464|Tyne & Wear, England

Pug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Ronald Raegan.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Pug

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Pug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Ronald Raegan.
lmao humor.  i'll try to be a lil more obvious next time.
Pug

Spearhead wrote:

Pug wrote:

Sorry Pug, wasnt me.  Well, maybe it was.  I might've been drunk.  Can you find it for me?
You must of been drunk...a lot...

2 can play at this game.  A few weeks ago Palin didnt even know what the VP does.

She was also heavy handed as a mayor.  Have you read how she tried banning books from the public library?  Small govt.... hahaha Alaska is a small state.  The US is a big country.

"No other state knows or gives a shit about", sums up her resume for me tbh.

First of all, you're a dipshit.  Second of all, mm, k, Saras been mayor of a fucking town population 9000, k.  Then she was elected governer to one of the least populated states in the country, mmmmm k.

small town values were great, in the 19th century.  Get with the program.  It's progress or we're done for. (we're the most powerful nation in the history of the world and you want small town values?  gimme a break)

I think Romney would have been better than this chick.  from Alaska.  wtf

Yeah, Alaska, real important state there.

She's also from one of the smallest states population wise.  Even though she's a governer its not saying much.

But wait, who the hell is she?

I'd love to make a list of everyone who knew about Sarah Palin or even heard about her before April 2008

Obama doesnt have much experience.  No shit.  Where's your outcry over this Palin chick though?  Double standards ftl.

The fact is she was well respected in the GOP before the nomination, and Alaska is an extremely important state given its location and resources.  Especially due to the amount of politics around energy woes.

But in reality who gives a shit?  It's the VP.  It's the job where people get to tune into CSPAN and watch you snoozing on your throne in front of the Senate.

Put simply, my point is you are criticizing McCain for his VP choice due to lack of experience, and then telling us it's ironic when he's been bashing the experience drum with Obama all year long.  But when someone questions Obama's experience, it's "well he's not institutionalized by D.C.  He's all about change."  And he's able to make these changes because he lacks experience?  TBH, some of what he's proposing is a pipe dream.

Why I like Obama: he seems like he's going to stir the pot, and it needs stirring.  I think he'd be great for the nation as a whole, by narrowing the gap between the classes.
Why I don't like Obama: I don't think he's being specific enough. I'd favor an institutionalized guy who brings change to the table instead.  Plus I think he's a snake due to the fact he sheds his problems at the drop of a hat - you are his best friend, but he's not going to stick by you if it doesn't agree with his political bent. Although, when you're president it no longer matters.

Why I like McCain: he seems like he's going to stir the pot, and it needs stirring. I think he'd be great.  He's proposing stuff I'd gain from, and also there's some pandering to the middle class.
Why I don't like McCain: He continues to rely on the old GOP values.  I'd rather he talked about more sweeping changes then he currently is.  Plus I'm worried about the whole global policeman role, but in that regard, I don't think there's a great deal of difference between him and Obama.

You like the democrats.  We get it.  I think you're voting democrat because you're pissed at Bush.  My goal is to make sure you are not voting because you're pissed at Bush...you're voting for the candidate you want.
liquix
+51|6455|Peoples Republic of Portland
then don't vote for him, others can do what they want without constant complaining.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Where is the scrutiny of Biden?

Where is the constant barrage of news stories on questionable things from his political career?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Where is the constant barrage of news stories on questionable things from his political career?
Maybe there aren't any ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Maybe there aren't any ?
Of course there are. You can't have been in office that long and not have connections to something questionable (legislation or personal actions).

I'm not presupposing Biden is good or bad....just that nobody is (or has) scrutinizing his background like Palin's right now.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6811|Nårvei

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Maybe there aren't any ?
Of course there are. You can't have been in office that long and not have connections to something questionable (legislation or personal actions).

I'm not presupposing Biden is good or bad....just that nobody is (or has) scrutinizing his background like Palin's right now.
Could be he is just a good guy, i'm sure something would have been posted by now if there was any ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
FEOS
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Maybe there aren't any ?

Could be he is just a good guy, i'm sure something would have been posted by now if there was any ...
Not with the way our media is here.
― Albert Einstein

Pierre
+68|6676|Belgium

Pug wrote:

What is this answer a question with a question day?
My initial statement:

Pierre wrote:

Your reply:

Pug wrote:

My answer:

Pierre wrote:

Both should have the needed qualities to run a government. But a presidency is a team, he or she isn't alone.
And I added a rethorical question:

Pierre wrote:

Or do you believe GWB had qualities on his own?
So in reply to your question, wether or not it is more important to have experience if you are ACTUALLY making decisions versus WATCHING people make decisions, my reply would be that if McCain had the same age as Obama and there would be only a small chance Palin would have to step in, then yes, her experience doesn't matter that much.

In this case you'll likely end up with her being in charge when the old man dies, so you better know what she is worth as POTUS.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard