Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

It looks like an incredibly interesting phone - with mixed reviews.

Windows Mobile 6.1 with a full touchscreen and a 624MHz CPU.

http://samsungomnia.com/omnia-review/

I was wondering if anybody had an experience with it. It seems that getting anything BUT the iPhone ( or the Samsung Instinct, but that is strictly US )  is pointless for a full touch phone.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6201|Winland

No, but it looks totally awesome.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6239|United Kingdom
no .. i was torn between the omnia and the touch pro but i got the touch pro instead for the keyboard awsmness
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That is what I was thinking, but then again, it's Windows Mobile + touch. It could be a bit of a bitch to use; as it wont be as "slick" as the iPhone. Other than that, I think it's quite a beast of a phone. I just wanted a personal opinion out of some people around here.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6743|Toronto | Canada

The Instinct is out here... what about waiting for Android or the Blackberry Thunder?  RIM's CEO publicly said that the iPhone had a shitty touch program so theirs is probably going to be pretty promising.

/shameless canadian advertising
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

The Instinct is out here... what about waiting for Android or the Blackberry Thunder?  RIM's CEO publicly said that the iPhone had a shitty touch program so theirs is probably going to be pretty promising.

/shameless canadian advertising
Android one looks promising, although HTC aren't exactly the best at touch screen phones. Blackberry Thunder will be incredibly expensive.

The Instinct is out ONLY for Sprint for AT&T ( which would tell me that you can get it in Canada as well ). It hasn't even been announced for Europe, which is a shame... because they say it's amazing.
jsnipy
+3,276|6527|...

Zimmer wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That is what I was thinking, but then again, it's Windows Mobile + touch. It could be a bit of a bitch to use; as it wont be as "slick" as the iPhone. Other than that, I think it's quite a beast of a phone. I just wanted a personal opinion out of some people around here.
True windows mobile is far more rigid than the the iphone, but its easy to change the shell

And yes this phone looks tip top ...

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-08-30 09:32:25)

seb--morin
Im high
+152|6644|Montréal, Québec
My step father go one today, look freakin awesome. He had the iphone (i got it now ) i'll ask him to look at it later.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6711|67.222.138.85
I must admit that if I was going to get a phone with a touch screen and no keyboard, I would get an iphone. I must also say that I would never ever get a full touch screen phone without a tactile keyboard.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I must admit that if I was going to get a phone with a touch screen and no keyboard, I would get an iphone. I must also say that I would never ever get a full touch screen phone without a tactile keyboard.
The iPhone isn't tactile. At least, the Touch isn't so I'm assuming the iPhone isn't either.
The#1Spot
+105|6544|byah

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

My fingers always hits at least 2 buttons on the I phone. I am glad I do not own one.
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6644|Montréal, Québec

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

My fingers always hits at least 2 buttons on the I phone. I am glad I do not own one.
Fatty finger or thumbs ?
tupla_s
+455|6596|Finland

Cool unboxing

I'd get this if needed a new phone.
Not released yet though.
http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=4993

Last edited by tupla_s (2008-08-31 16:33:59)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6711|67.222.138.85

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The iPhone isn't tactile. At least, the Touch isn't so I'm assuming the iPhone isn't either.
Which is why I said I wouldn't buy one. The iphone is at the top of a class of phones I would never buy.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6396|Southern California
I haven't used a good tactical touch screen.... But as far as your general touch screen goes...

Give me buttons any day! As a mouse substitute, ok... Cant very well do that with a button but other wise they are just a hassle.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Which is why I said I wouldn't buy one. The iphone is at the top of a class of phones I would never buy.
Samsung Instinct?  I have one and its pretty easy to type with.  I make about the same amount of mistakes as with my dad's blackberry curve or my ipod touch and it has a pretty good spellcheck (not the shitty autocheck one the ipod has) so I'd say its quite sufficient.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

There are a few phones that are tactile though aren't there? Or you just don't like those? Or your ideal phone would be a tactile iPhone?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Samsung Instinct?  I have one and its pretty easy to type with.  I make about the same amount of mistakes as with my dad's blackberry curve or my ipod touch and it has a pretty good spellcheck (not the shitty autocheck one the ipod has) so I'd say its quite sufficient.
Ok that phone looks fucking cool! Is it as good as the reviews make it sound?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Ok that phone looks fucking cool! Is it as good as the reviews make it sound?
I'd say (based on comparing to my ipod touch) that the Instinct and the iPhone are give and take.  The Instinct is a helluva lot cheaper and has some cool features (like haptic response, always having a landscape keyboard available and ability to take videos).  On the other hand, the iPhone has some really cool applications that it can use (rumour has it that the Instinct is supposed to support 3rd party applications eventually) and its scrolling is far, far superior.  When scrolling menus with the Instinct I often click something accidentally.  Its not a big concern, just a minor annoyance. 
The music player is better on the iPhone obviously, but the Instinct's one is fine and its speakers are much louder.  Browsing... well the iPhone, in my opinion, has the uncontested highest spot for best browser.  The Instinct has a browser much like the one on the iPhone with the ability to move the pages with flicking, the main difference is that the iPhone has a pinch/pull system to zoom in and out whereas the Instinct uses a zoom slider (which isn't bad, its just not as good at the iPhone).
Overall I'd say if they were the same price the iPhone would be a better buy, but since you can get a way cheaper plan with the Instinct I'd call them even, pretty much preference.  If you're already carrying around an iPod, I'd recommend the Instinct though.
signa
~~~~~
+50|6733|Michigan, USA
I've been looking at the instinct all this week deciding if I want to get it.  the biggest problem is sprint's gay choice of plans.  since i have 2 phones on a shared account, with one still under contract, the cheapest plan i can change to is $130/month, which is $70 more than I'm paying now. >_<
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6833|Grapevine, TX
Ive been tracking this phone for 2 months now, it is superb. Not US bound though
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6833|Grapevine, TX

signa wrote:

I've been looking at the instinct all this week deciding if I want to get it.  the biggest problem is sprint's gay choice of plans.  since i have 2 phones on a shared account, with one still under contract, the cheapest plan i can change to is $130/month, which is $70 more than I'm paying now. >_<
Sprint sux, tbh all carriers suck with their shitty customer service. My advise: open a new account with 400 -900 minutes ($50-$70/ mo.) GL
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6447|Stealth City, UK
According to the Gods at Gizmodo http://gizmodo.com/5043789/samsung-omni … -ianything its pretty rubbish.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6636

buLLet_t00th wrote:

According to the Gods at Gizmodo http://gizmodo.com/5043789/samsung-omni … -ianything its pretty rubbish.
"Oh, naw it'z not verking at all. I think I haf too many tasks open. Sorry."
Ecilop Murof
I HOP OUT DA BEEEED..
+167|5783|loves Stimey <3 |
I <3 mah iPhone

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard