Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

I haven't done one of these in awhile. Keeping with recent formats.

Formation of the Universe
Our Universe began approximately 15 billion years ago in an enormous burst of light and heat followed by darkness. Half a billion years after the big bang we began to see the formation of the first star. Gravity drew giant clouds of Hydrogen together and a a small cocoon started to form. The first star burned in a nuclear fire creating heavy elements (Oxygen, Carbon, Iron, etc..). Eventually the star collapsed and exploded. After the explosion the Universe entered The Era Of The Stars. Now, just within our own Galaxy, we have over 100 billion stars.

https://i31.tinypic.com/2418qa8.png

Gravity begins to shape
Gravity began to draw stars together into clusters. Hydrogen gas generated by the big bang and heavy elements scattered by super novas started to clump together. Each (relative) small cluster collapsed, merged, and formed the core of each galaxy. All of this was done by the uniting force of gravity. This process is of course continuing today. Our galaxy is spinning, flattening out, and forming a bulge in the center.
https://i26.tinypic.com/hrjvcj.png

The Galactic Center
The center of a Galaxy is an extremely busy place. Stars live and die at a very fast pace. Cosmic collisions occur much more rapidly than they do in the outer bands. Luckily for us our solar system is in a relative safe location. It has long been theorized (and generally accepted) that a black hole exist at the center of our galaxy. Black holes are only discovered by the effects they have on the environment around them. Scientist look for them by examining the patterns of stars and the erratic motion they exhibit in certain areas of the Universe. Black holes determine the ultimate fate of entire galaxies. The power and force of a black hole is truly beyond human imagination. Albert Einstein once said that nature could never be as strange as his theories. If he had the the technological luxuries that today's modern scientist enjoy he would have seen how accurate his ideas were. He called them Dark Stars. (Not to be confused with this theory of Dark Stars). If we were to imagine the effects of a Black hole on a human it wouldn't be the graphic picture of blood and gore you might imagine. Every molecule in your body would instantaneously be separated as you approached the singularity. You would be nothing but a string of atoms flying through space. I won't even attempt to go into Super massive black holes now. I will however post the following image to illustrate it's scale:

.......................https://i25.tinypic.com/34s2xkl.png

Feel free to correct me and elaborate. I started this to late and the Lunesta is kicking in. To be continued..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

its huge ........... thats about all I have to say about that

and I've tried to count the stars but I counted a few of them twice so my numbers are off a little bit
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Hakei
Banned
+295|5996
Good write up, although 15 billion seems a little big, I thought the most distant galaxy we've located was around 11~ billion lightyears.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6131|North Tonawanda, NY
The accepted age of the universe is something like ~13.8 billion years, right?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Hakei wrote:

Good write up, although 15 billion seems a little big, I thought the most distant galaxy we've located was around 11~ billion lightyears.
Approximate. I think 11~billion is old news. Probably before the acceleration of the Universe was factored in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#G … luster_age
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
My understanding of the universe{s} is that there are ten or eleven dimensions. These appear to facilitate big bangs as the different ' bubbles ' sometimes collide. It may be a repeating cycle and indeed our reality seems to be smaller than a speck of dew on a blade of grass in a field of wild flowers.

Moderne physics has not gone beyond the string theory and it is silly, tbh to try as we have more  pressing issues our science people should be dealing with like solar power, reclaiming water, new propulsion for space travel.
Trying to understand the mechanicals of the universes is putting the cart before the horse as we need to survive as a species.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5996

ATG wrote:

My understanding of the universe{s} is that there are ten or eleven dimensions. These appear to facilitate big bangs as the different ' bubbles ' sometimes collide. It may be a repeating cycle and indeed our reality seems to be smaller than a speck of dew on a blade of grass in a field of wild flowers.

Moderne physics has not gone beyond the string theory and it is silly, tbh to try as we have more  pressing issues our science people should be dealing with like solar power, reclaiming water, new propulsion for space travel.
Trying to understand the mechanicals of the universes is putting the cart before the horse as we need to survive as a species.
Trying to learn about the dimensions is just silly. I could only get my head around some parts, was just confuzzling.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

ATG wrote:

1.  We are not on the verge of dying off.
2.  Before we try to test string theory, we ought to try and prove the standard model.  Since string theory includes the standard model (as I understand it), it might be important.
3.  String theory is great, because it is full of nice postdictions.  It's predictions are mostly untestable with today's technology.  Who can find strings of energy on the scale of the Planck length?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

ATG the ultimate goal of science is a theory for everything. The historical pursuit of this theory (Aristotle, Galileo, Newton, Einstein..etc) have led to many practical and meaningful innovations. If I were to have started into a discussion of unification theory I would have bored 95 percent of this forums members to death. Shit I threw a few pictures in just to help hold attention in this thread.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Kmarion wrote:

ATG the ultimate goal of science is a theory for everything. The historical pursuit of this theory (Aristotle, Galileo, Newton, Einstein..etc) have led to many practical and meaningful innovations. If I were to have started into discussing a unification theory I would have bored 95 percent of this forums members to death. Shit I threw a few picture just to help hold attention in this thread.
If you want to discuss a unification theory, I'm all ears.  :-D
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
heh.
yup.

fuck all, it's confusing.
Planet formations has always been a big interest of mine. All planets are failed stars in that they form exactly the same way.
As your sig points ( ed ) out, Jupiter is a star that failed to ignite.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

SenorToenails wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

ATG the ultimate goal of science is a theory for everything. The historical pursuit of this theory (Aristotle, Galileo, Newton, Einstein..etc) have led to many practical and meaningful innovations. If I were to have started into discussing a unification theory I would have bored 95 percent of this forums members to death. Shit I threw a few picture just to help hold attention in this thread.
If you want to discuss a unification theory, I'm all ears.  :-D
Watch http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
Meet me back here in 3 hours.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Smithereener
+138|6316|California

Kmarion wrote:

I've watched that twice - once on the telly, and once online. I swear, it was one of the most interesting things I've watched that I didn't get too confused about. It actually explained a lot of things in terms that a layman could understand.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Kmarion wrote:

I saw that a year or two back.  Neat program, I'm pretty sure I have a copy of it somewhere around here.  I read the book too, as well as this:https://images.alibris.com/isbn/9780809242573.gif.

I love science. 
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Smithereener wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I've watched that twice - once on the telly, and once online. I swear, it was one of the most interesting things I've watched that I didn't get too confused about. It actually explained a lot of things in terms that a layman could understand.
Egg-zactly .

Then once you've got the spark become a complete dork.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 9#p1932479
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
all from a vidja game forum.

who wudda thunk it...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85

Hakei wrote:

It's generally accepted at closer to 12-13 billions years, but even the age of the universe cannot be found with certainty. Since we don't, and honestly cannot, know what the exact nature of the beginning of the universe or how it has progressed, putting a specific age on it is impossible.

Currently it is believed that not only is the universe expanding, but that this expansion is actually speeding up. This acceleration has brought into question many of the current models (such at the FLRW model) that are based on a homogeneous universe that is expanding at a constant rate. As we study more and more of the universe we see that there it is most likely not homogeneous, and there are distinct formations at the cosmic level (hundreds of light years across), though a fairly decent model can be made by making up for these perturbations in the FLRW model. (don't ask me about the math) The acceleration of the expansion, however, calls into question the current models that were used to predict the age of the universe, so we can say the age of the universe with less certainty than we could a decade ago.

This acceleration has made cosmologists look at the old models, and for the most part they are pointing to a cosmological constant, knows as dark energy. (ohhhh, ahhhhh) Dark energy was actually the idea that Einstein had called his biggest blunder, and ironically it is now being looked at as the biggest thing since GR.

Dark energy can most readily be thought as as reverse gravity. In a universe filled with matter that wants to do nothing but pull stuff towards it, how could it not only be expanding, but be expanding faster? The answer is all the stuff that is between the planets, basically in what we know as a void right now, there is energy that wants to push things outward. According to the current models (wouldn't be the farm on it) the universe is actually about 70% of this dark energy, that is undetectable in almost every way. There are various groups working on ways to detect them, generally using exotic particles such as neutrinos, but none have been successful so far. (to my knowledge)

These approximations are trying to fit a flat universe however, one that will eventually cease to expand, but never contract. The data is very close to fitting a flat universe, but apart from that there is not much reason to believe it is flat, as opposed to open or closed, so unless it can be proven that we are in a flat universe, it seems like the physicists are making the data fit the equations, not necessarily the other way around. In fact all of this is still very much in the air, I wouldn't give any of it too much weight until someone proves string theory (sounds freaking crazy, but pretty much everyone I've talked to that knows what they're talking about thinks it's a load of bullshit), finds the gravitron, or in the best case scenario, unifies GR and quantum mechanics. It's not that the cosmologists don't know what they're doing, but there are so many possibilities, and we know so little, that it's hard to put too much faith in our conclusions.

edit: Yeah, ATG that's string theory. Extra dimensions are present in some other theories, but not like string. As it was explained to me by this guy, string theory is kinda what happened when a bunch of college physicists got drunk and started doing "hey what if"s.

"Oh hey man, what if like, between our dimensions, there were extra dimensions between those dimensions, and that's where like, gravity and stuff comes from, how these like, 12 dimensions are folded around each other"

"Oh dude, that's totally right, and what if like, all the particles in the universe were actually made by little strings all folded around on themselves to make tiny particles and stuff"

Seriously, what the fuck. String theory hasn't proved to be of any use at predicting anything, so unless it gets real useful real fast, it's not going to be anything other than a mental acid trip minus the acid.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
okay, one thing that has always troubled me.  Mass/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.  So as the universe expands, does that mean that the total amount of energy in the universe is decreasing?  Not being destroyed, but having to stretch over a more and more vast expanse?  (If that makes any sense).  Would that mean that eventually everything would come to a near stand-still?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

CommieChipmunk wrote:

okay, one thing that has always troubled me.  Mass/energy cannot be created nor destroyed.  So as the universe expands, does that mean that the total amount of energy in the universe is decreasing?  Not being destroyed, but having to stretch over a more and more vast expanse?  (If that makes any sense).  Would that mean that eventually everything would come to a near stand-still?
Heat death.
Flaming_Maniac

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Yes to the last question, that's what the dark energy kids are trying to prove. The critical density of the universe (according to the FLRW model) changes, but the energy density can't change.

Just because it's expanding doesn't mean there is more mass being created necessarily, it just means things are being stretched.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

edit: Yeah, ATG that's string theory. Extra dimensions are present in some other theories, but not like string. As it was explained to me by this guy, string theory is kinda what happened when a bunch of college physicists got drunk and started doing "hey what if"s.
I thought it was what you got when you tried to make Einsteins theory and quantum mechanics coexist. I'm still waiting for the guys at Fermilab to destroy the Universe (tbh) . The least they could do is give us a death ray.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

Kmarion wrote:

I thought it was what you got when you tried to make Einsteins theory and quantum mechanics coexist.
If they actually did that it would have put a lot of physicists out of a job. (one of my points that you should sit up and listen if it was actually done)

Man don't even get me started on particle accelerators. They were planning a MASSIVE one, named Isabelle, out here in Waxahachie, Texas. 54 freakin miles in diameter I think it was! Damn thing got canceled before it was anywhere near complete though.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If they actually did that it would have put a lot of physicists out of a job. (one of my points that you should sit up and listen if it was actually done)

Man don't even get me started on particle accelerators. They were planning a MASSIVE one, named Isabelle, out here in Waxahachie, Texas. 54 freakin miles in diameter I think it was! Damn thing got canceled before it was anywhere near complete though.
Congress doesn't have the heart to pay for it.  Cowards!  At least CERN is supposed to get the LHC running soon, so particle physicists can begin looking for the Higgs boson again.

And I totally agree with your take on string theory.  It's all postdictions, and nothing more.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Yes to the last question, that's what the dark energy kids are trying to prove. The critical density of the universe (according to the FLRW model) changes, but the energy density can't change.

Just because it's expanding doesn't mean there is more mass being created necessarily, it just means things are being stretched.
The battle between dark energy and gravity will ultimately determine the fate of the Universe. It could just be that gravity has not reached the point at which it can slow the expansion. It does not necessarily mean that ultimately the mass of the universe will at some point meet back at the beginning. This could be a cycle of many universes. You hit the nail on the head when you said there was too many unknowns.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6454|Ontario, Canada
I love it when people assume everyone else is an evilutionist
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard