RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6491|Somewhere else

Kmarion wrote:

The characteristics of a community are defined by it's participants and content. Give it a chance. The people that are writing trackr off without having actually seen it are just plain silly imo. Negative folks are why we try to keep projects secret. Pessimist often lack vision and make their judgments without having experience. Even those of us who are participating in it now have to be aware that it is a developing site.
True, i just see alot of faults, I see the reasons too, i just , in my humble opinion, don't think its was quite the right thing to do at this time.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6660|Washington DC

jord wrote:

My biggest worry is a lack of "General Chatter" or similar sections as well as D+ST. I don't play games as much as I used to, but I still come here often.
Huh?

Let's not start rumors.  The forums haven't been created yet, but I can't imagine that these two forums wouldn't be there.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6561|CH/BR - in UK

aw, darn... now I'm not in the secret team anymore

Oh, we still are working on redesigning trackr though...

-konfusion
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6612|132 and Bush

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The characteristics of a community are defined by it's participants and content. Give it a chance. The people that are writing trackr off without having actually seen it are just plain silly imo. Negative folks are why we try to keep projects secret. Pessimist often lack vision and make their judgments without having experience. Even those of us who are participating in it now have to be aware that it is a developing site.
True, i just see alot of faults, I see the reasons too, i just , in my humble opinion, don't think its was quite the right thing to do at this time.
Give Jeff some credit, he has put a lot of time, money, and effort into making a more inclusive and enjoyable site. You are entitled to your opinion of course. I just ask that you try to have an open mind.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6347|Oregon
Well... here are my thoughts.
I think it's good to move forward, as BF2s grows more and more... obsolete. The forums are still very much popular, and I hope that carries over well.
I know a few member will not switch over, and we'll get tonnnns of new members... but that's life, ain't it?
Someone needs to make a BF2s group within the site that is restricted to those who were here... not because I'm elitist - i dislike the badge idea for veteran members - but because i just want to know I can go somewhere and easily find everyone who i've been talking to for a year plus now, and been reading for two years plus.

And if anyone feels like they're not on the "inside" because they aren't on the dev team or something like that... we're all on the inside, and if you pay attention, you can register day one, and the community will grow around this little nexus of users.
I will also like to see other communities integrated. Surely, many TBF2 members will join... that'll be fun
Basically... I don't see this as "bad" or "good." it's simply change. The site itself will be much, much more useful. Its up to the community to make the forums work, and we'll just have to do that!
RoosterCantrell
+399|6491|Somewhere else

Kmarion wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Give Jeff some credit, he has put a lot of time, money, and effort into making a more inclusive and enjoyable site. You are entitled to your opinion of course. I just ask that you try to have an open mind.
Oh i do.  Im sure he is working hard.  I am sure he honestly cares.  I am not just shitting all over it.  Alot of it sounds really cool.  Alot of it looks like it has some real potential to bring more to the community.  Maybe I should have said that to be more balanced, I just said things what most people *weren't* talking about, you know, the other side of it all.

It all looks cool, and everyone's enthusiam is good to see, but no one seemed to notice or point out the potential bad things, things that should be noted, so i decided to at least point them out.

and a few of those things, the few i pointed out, look to be pretty important IMO, so, I guess the few things I don't like, are really big to me.  Just opinions, of coruse .
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6718|67.222.138.85

RoosterCantrell wrote:

OrangeHound[color=orange wrote:

You can be in multiple groups, assuming the group's creator/admin allows you to participate (some groups may be "closed" or "approval only")

For example, as a joke there is a "Cool Group" on there right now ... you apply to get into the group, but you have to be approved by liquidat0r to get in.[/color]
Am I the only one that sees this as a bad idea?  This Forum as obvious clusters of friends, and enemies. Bf2s is an open community, and in anything ever done, debates, contests, mods, etc.  It was always open to anyone.  With this, the little cliques can seperate the people they aren't direct forum buddies with.  Debate & serious talk will probably take a massive hit.  Don't like someone's post? Just move into your own group, and not allow anyone who disagrees with you in the group.
But only so many of these groups will have "official" status so to speak. Even if all members could start a new group, which is not necessarily how it is going to work I think, who cares someone makes a stupid group like that or not? I'm sure a massive influx of new groups will be seen within the first few months of trackr being up, then the novelty will die off, and people will use them for what they are intended to do.

RoosterCantrell wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

This is actually a point that will need to be touched on -- the forums are going to be ... disappointing ... compared to here. For starters, Drupal's built in forum solution is pretty mediocre. I've managed to spiff it up a bit, but not just to get it functionally right. Combine that fact with the other fact that I have hacked the living daylights out of Pun for this site, and there's a noticeable gap.
So we're "moving forward" to Dissapointing forums?  Maybe im just pessimistic, but I really really don't see why it's necissary to end what already works. BF2s is the forums IMO.  The forums being of lesser quality, but new features really doesn't seem worth it to me.  You can put all the fancy trinkets on a pile of poop, it's still a pile of poop. Sorry, I don't mean to piss anyone off here, but that's just the way it looks to me.

Just because BF2 is aging, why does the name "BF2s" have to have this supposed time limit?  It shows origon if anything.  The source that started it all. Homage. Plus, BF2s is faaar from dying out.   BF2s was pretty much the only forum I visited. Ever. 

Then again, it's just a web forum.  I just hope Trackr is Chuy's pet, and not part of EA/DICE.  If EA/DICE are involved.... *cough* BF2 patches *cough*

But, the decision obviously has been made.  This community has been infinitely helpful with any questions I had, and the members have posted millions on neat, funny, wierd, odd, informative things, but I don't think I'll have much to do with the new site.  Maybe I will, but right now, i'm shopping around for a new home forum.

Good luck everyone.  NO hard feelings .
The forums really aren't that bad. They are still functional, and are looking better and better as some of our wonderful graphics people work their magic. I think the biggest gap that will be seen, besides the lack of karma, will only be scene by whoever is chosen to moderate trackr, because I don't think they will have anywhere near as much of the neat little gadgets chuy has made to administrate the forum effectively. The forums are still quite functional, as for things that all users use I think chuy is exaggerating a little bit because he has put so much work into this installation of punbb.

I think if we stuck with BF2S in the next couple years we would see a sharp decline in new users, and the community is seriously starting to dwindle. If we want to keep the forums fresh, and want it to be alive in five years we have to expand to games other than BF2.
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6205|Schofield Barracks

kylef wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

MAGUIRE93 wrote:

will trackr have karmaz?
See muh sig ...
And muh usertitle ...
sigh karmaz made me feel welcomed
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6721|Sweden
Sounds great and very promising all thumbs up.
RoosterCantrell
+399|6491|Somewhere else

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

OrangeHound[color=orange wrote:

You can be in multiple groups, assuming the group's creator/admin allows you to participate (some groups may be "closed" or "approval only")

For example, as a joke there is a "Cool Group" on there right now ... you apply to get into the group, but you have to be approved by liquidat0r to get in.[/color]
Am I the only one that sees this as a bad idea?  This Forum as obvious clusters of friends, and enemies. Bf2s is an open community, and in anything ever done, debates, contests, mods, etc.  It was always open to anyone.  With this, the little cliques can seperate the people they aren't direct forum buddies with.  Debate & serious talk will probably take a massive hit.  Don't like someone's post? Just move into your own group, and not allow anyone who disagrees with you in the group.
But only so many of these groups will have "official" status so to speak. Even if all members could start a new group, which is not necessarily how it is going to work I think, who cares someone makes a stupid group like that or not? I'm sure a massive influx of new groups will be seen within the first few months of trackr being up, then the novelty will die off, and people will use them for what they are intended to do.

RoosterCantrell wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

This is actually a point that will need to be touched on -- the forums are going to be ... disappointing ... compared to here. For starters, Drupal's built in forum solution is pretty mediocre. I've managed to spiff it up a bit, but not just to get it functionally right. Combine that fact with the other fact that I have hacked the living daylights out of Pun for this site, and there's a noticeable gap.
So we're "moving forward" to Dissapointing forums?  Maybe im just pessimistic, but I really really don't see why it's necissary to end what already works. BF2s is the forums IMO.  The forums being of lesser quality, but new features really doesn't seem worth it to me.  You can put all the fancy trinkets on a pile of poop, it's still a pile of poop. Sorry, I don't mean to piss anyone off here, but that's just the way it looks to me.

Just because BF2 is aging, why does the name "BF2s" have to have this supposed time limit?  It shows origon if anything.  The source that started it all. Homage. Plus, BF2s is faaar from dying out.   BF2s was pretty much the only forum I visited. Ever. 

Then again, it's just a web forum.  I just hope Trackr is Chuy's pet, and not part of EA/DICE.  If EA/DICE are involved.... *cough* BF2 patches *cough*

But, the decision obviously has been made.  This community has been infinitely helpful with any questions I had, and the members have posted millions on neat, funny, wierd, odd, informative things, but I don't think I'll have much to do with the new site.  Maybe I will, but right now, i'm shopping around for a new home forum.

Good luck everyone.  NO hard feelings .
The forums really aren't that bad. They are still functional, and are looking better and better as some of our wonderful graphics people work their magic. I think the biggest gap that will be seen, besides the lack of karma, will only be scene by whoever is chosen to moderate trackr, because I don't think they will have anywhere near as much of the neat little gadgets chuy has made to administrate the forum effectively. The forums are still quite functional, as for things that all users use I think chuy is exaggerating a little bit because he has put so much work into this installation of punbb.

I think if we stuck with BF2S in the next couple years we would see a sharp decline in new users, and the community is seriously starting to dwindle. If we want to keep the forums fresh, and want it to be alive in five years we have to expand to games other than BF2.
Point taken
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6208|Winland

I've got so much to say about this, but I'm just gonna shut the fuck up for the higher power to avoid permaban from this and possible future sites.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6588|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Mitch wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

Feel free to ask questions here. Answers are subject to change though.

LT, the forums aren't going to be destroyed, but posting and registration will be disabled.
If i could make a suggestion, Give users who come from BF2S a 'Veteran' type status.
Or maybe a fancy looking User Title Bar that shows which members where part of the BF2S community.
I guess you wouldn't want to do everyone though, maybe... people who have been year a year or more? and still active.

We've been with you much longer then anyone whos gunna sign up at Trackr for game discussion.
I really like this idea, so this way people who are comming from bf2s will have a little "Souvenir" of the good ol day.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

chuyskywalker wrote:

So far it hasn't made anyone in the dev site cry streams of blood, but it will be a shift.
You haven't seen my pillow.

For the people saying there will be a dilution of members you know, this isn't meant to shove anyone away, this is meant as BF2S Community v2.0. There will be some leaving, some coming as always, but you should recognize most of the same users you do now, just on a new domain.
Accept it seems we are all reset on a equal basis, which of course is slightly disconcerting to me.
If this thing ends with me not beating Alpha I shall be morose.

But, I have forum shopped. I even made a goodbye thread.

Those who come back come back because of the people, not the karma.

There are some good running inside jokes on DST, like when Serge gets all bitchy like he's got a pussy, or Marine checks in with his usual 2-3 word post ( posts sometimes containing as much attitude and gravity as some wall of text posts ).

There are the familiar faces.

Interesting times.
I'll stay as long as it feels like home.

*edit  Alpha has 2551, lol. Go team.

Last edited by ATG (2008-02-02 15:02:57)

..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660
Tbh, as long as there's a place I can hang out with the oldies I hang out with here, I'm good. I'm a little skeptical but change can always lead to good things.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6650|Montreal, Qc, Canada

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Tbh, as long as there's a place I can hang out with the oldies I hang out with here, I'm good. I'm a little skeptical but change can always lead to good things.
I think this will change everything. Dont feel like writing alot about this (even tho I could but i know ill get flame for my bad english etc...), but you know what im mean i'm sure.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6632|Gold coast, Aus.

SamTheMan:D wrote:

Mek-Izzle wrote:

to make it look to different to this place. It's got all cozy n shit
True dat

One of the reasons I love it so much, never been on a forum as long as I have this one
Yeah, a whole 45 days

I haven't read the thread so will there be post counts/karma? Karma can go, however, I like post counts ^_^
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command
Maybe/no.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6602|Reisterstown, MD

Change sucks.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6416|NSW, Australia

just dont make it complicated, we got a good thing going here and it would be a shame to kill it.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6743|St. Andrews / Oslo

Entertayner wrote:

o/\o @ trackr dev team.
o/\o

@ the "doubters" - this will be awesome, trust me

Last edited by Jenspm (2008-02-02 15:55:08)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
bennisboy
+829|6657|Poundland
Am i the only one having problems accessing the site? it jus comes up with the little thing that looks like a speedometer n thats it, yes I'm using FF
OrangeHound

bennisboy wrote:

Am i the only one having problems accessing the site? it jus comes up with the little thing that looks like a speedometer n thats it, yes I'm using FF
You are not having problems.

There is no site ... it is under development.  What you are seeing is all there will be for a few months.
bennisboy
+829|6657|Poundland

OrangeHound wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

There is no site ... it is under development.  What you are seeing is all there will be for a few months.
oh OK, the way people were talkin about it made me think otherwise
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6572|Southampton, UK

bennisboy wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

Nope, just be pateint and wait like the rest of us
OrangeHound

bennisboy wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

By the way, that is a "radar sweep" and not a "speedometer".

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard