kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6814|Bryan/College Station, TX
EA just announced a new game coming out this Summer that is a different version of Battlefield. It will be a free download with cartoon like characters. Each map will be a smaller short experience lasting about 10-15 min. You will be able to buy small add ons to the characters such as new models, clothing, guns and the such. EA is calling them micro-transactions.

Read More Here: NYT Article

My opinions are as such.

A cartoon like Battlefield with a touch of TF2 in a smaller 10-15min battlefield experience. Add some of that trade card feel with mini-transactions and buying extra weapons and models and given that it's a free download to begin with... I can see people giving it a try and actually playing it.  Since it's cartoon like you can't really expect anyone to be serious while playing it. So with that mindset I wouldn't care that there are a team of nothing but snipers. Who cares? It's a cartoon. Cartoon Death Match (CDM)

Please read the article before commenting.

Cheers.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
OmniDeath
~
+726|6614

“The existing Battlefield games are fairly deep; you have to be pretty good or you’ll die pretty quick,” Mr. Florin said Friday in a telephone interview from Geneva. “Now we’ve toned down the difficulty, shortened each game session to 10 or 15 minutes and made the visual style more cartoony.”

Strategically, Mr. Florin said the game was a step toward figuring out how to generate multiple revenue streams from a single intellectual property, a maneuver Hollywood has mastered.
So... make the game easy to get more money? No skill needed, just a bigger wallet? GG EA...
Not to mention it looks like a complete rip off of TF2's popularity.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
1) TF2 > this

2) EA can suck a fat one after the support we got post BF2 v 1.2 (and going into 2142)

3) A bigger money-grubbing ploy than EF/AF/2142
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

In my personal opinion, I'd rather buy a disk/set of disks for 50€, that being my only investment in a game.

The catch here is that a player can boost  his/her performance on the battlefield by purchasing add-ons to the characters.

Article wrote:

Players can pay not only for decorative items like shoes and jerseys but also for boosts in their players’ speed, agility and accuracy. Mr. Florin said that while most users do not buy anything, a sizable minority ends up spending $15 to $20 a month.
So you've got a small group of people running around in funny clothes pwning and boomheadshotting you because they decided to spend money on pixels? Personally, I'd rather spend my money on rl-items.

Of course, a certain "added value" was implemented in BF2 also, by allowing SF-unlocks to be used in vanilla, although this could be gotten around by playing a few rounds of SF on a friends disk (which I did).

Sure, I'll try it, but I'll be damned if I spend any money on something that won't even get me a disk packaged in a plastic box with a booklet.

EA might strike gold on this one, though. Especially if they make the add-ons accessible to kids by E.g. buying codes from a 7-11 in the form of Pokeman-style trading card-packages with chewing gum with a taste that disappears faster than the consumers weekly allowance money.
I need around tree fiddy.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
What a sad company... Hey lets make a rip off of TF2 and fill it full of bugs and glitches and wait 6 months to release it... Maybe they can even screw up the EA downsyndromeloader... lol
Love is the answer
Lai
+186|6122
But the game itself its still free,.. I like it actually.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

What a sad company... Hey lets make a rip off of TF2 and fill it full of bugs and glitches and wait 6 months to release it... Maybe they can even screw up the EA downsyndromeloader... lol
It does kinda seem like running off to copy a concept, doesn't it?

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8757/21game190ao9.jpg  https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2956/01heavy02modelpaintreduk9.jpg
    TF2                           BFH
Casartelli
No skills, just luck
+14|6121|The Netherlands
Modedit: Post merged from another thread -Don-

In a major departure from its traditional business model, E.A. plans to announce Monday that it is developing a new installment in its hit Battlefield series that will be distributed on the Internet as a free download. Rather than being sold at retail, the game is meant to generate revenue through advertising and small in-game transactions that allow players to spend a few dollars on new outfits, weapons and other virtual gear.

At a conference in Munich, the company intends to announce that the new game, Battlefield Heroes, will be released for PC this summer.

And a cartoon-style!
https://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/01/20/business/21game.190.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/techn … ref=slogin

Last edited by Casartelli (2008-01-21 02:57:27)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6434|cuntshitlake

http://battlefield-heroes.com/

Want to guess who has made that site?
(12:45:44) (@ktotheimmy) credit for that website goes to mr Jeff Minard who has been working way too many hours over the last week
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

DeathUnlimited wrote:

http://battlefield-heroes.com/

Want to guess who has made that site?
(12:45:44) (@ktotheimmy) credit for that website goes to mr Jeff Minard who has been working way too many hours over the last week
W00t! Jeff sure knows how to produce a site, we've surely established that!

Merged with older thread, moved to "Other titles"
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516
Prepare for a festival of nublets with 2000 pings. I have played a lot of free fps and they all fail. If this game doesn't have some kind of concrete ping limiter then it is doomed. And since they want as many people to play it as possible to make cash shop revenue...
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
cablecopulate
+449|6709|Massachusetts.
This whole thing reeks of "no thanks!"
Casartelli
No skills, just luck
+14|6121|The Netherlands
I think I'll skip this one... disappointing ideas.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

there is only 1 word to describe this: meh
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6569|S.C.
Battlefield: Team Fortress 2
/facepalm
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6712|OctoLand

max wrote:

there is only 1 word to describe this: meh
or fail, that works too.
I know fucking karate
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England
I'll try it, but fuck that if you think I'm gonna buy anything.

Will it have vehicles? Otherwise it would be a total TF2 rip-off. Not that I've tried TF2 (jumping around lame gameplay aint my style)
cablecopulate
+449|6709|Massachusetts.
Does it bug anyone else that it says "will be distributed on the Internet as a free download"? Not even a dvd with the game on it for free? I prefer having my own hard copy and not having to spend hours downloading a game.

Is this supposed to be BF3 or is this just a Battlefield side-project?
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6712|OctoLand

cablecopulate wrote:

Fuck, if this is bf3 = suicide.
I know fucking karate
Longbow
+163|6617|Odessa, Ukraine

justice wrote:

cablecopulate wrote:

Fuck, if this is bf3 = suicide.
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6378|Somersetshire
will it run like a mod in bf2 or will it be it's own game?
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516

cablecopulate wrote:

Does it bug anyone else that it says "will be distributed on the Internet as a free download"? Not even a dvd with the game on it for free? I prefer having my own hard copy and not having to spend hours downloading a game.
It's so they can lure more people into playing it. Then you realize all the people who spent money in the cash shop have an advantage over you with over-powered weapons/vehicles/etc and entices you to waste more money than a hard copy would cost on a horrible game.

Chances are most BF vets won't get far since you'll quickly notice everyone and their mother has downloaded the game and the pings are so varied that people teleport all over the place and half of your shots don't register. This also means hacking will be much more rampant since accounts are free and infinite. Most games like this use GameGuard or something similar which is even worse than Punkbuster.

I hate to dump on this game before i've tried it, but i've seen much more interesting games than this use the cash shop model and end up being sub-par toilet games.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6410|Brisbane, Australia

OmniDeath wrote:

Strategically, Mr. Florin said the game was a step toward figuring out how to generate multiple revenue streams from a single intellectual property
Shameless EA is.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Nintendogamer
+72|6558|Chelmsford, UK
hmmm, looks weird. we cant judge it as a TF rip off yet, as we haven't played it.
Acme1234
+62|6080|Melbourne, Australia
I think and hope, and prey, BF3 is on it's way as well.

They have hinted quite a lot at BF3, including that PDF that got snuck out, and claimed it will be using the same engine as Bad COmpany - the Frostbite DX engine.

But yeah, this Heroes concept sounds like a huge rip off of TF2, and also sounds incredibly shit. Who wants to pay for outfits and weapons. Make it like BF2, and make it unlocks upon receiving awards and points.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard