CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6400789.stm

This is the first time I have noticed jitters on a Chinese stock exchange creating global economic waves. The Chinese dragon has landed. Does this herald the arrival of the next superpower?
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6725|United States of America
They already are a super power, and they don't know what to do with that power.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
I am eating Ramen noodles tonight because my stocks went poop.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
they have been buying out the US for years.
i forgot which credit card company was bought by them....jesus thats alot of money.
pretty soon all the companies will be selling out.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

There is much more involved with that. When stock are being sold at an extreme level there are systems in place to slow them and help encourage buy backs. Those failed today as well. They are calling it the "perfect storm" today. All eyes will be on the market tomorrow.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BVC
+325|6665
What does this mean for people like me who don't actually own any shares?
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

I lost about $100 bucks over the past week because of this, indirectly if that.
<BoTM>J_Aero
Qualified Expert
+62|6435|Melbourne - Home of Football
What it really says is that a lot of value being created on Western exchanges at the moment is due to the expectation that future revenues and profits will come from companies either selling / investing / relying on China for some of their production or sales. What's important to note is that the Chinese correction was due to tighter controls on speculation, causing Chinese stock prices to fall. This is very different from say, a large contraction in Chinese demand for base metals or oil, which would signal a very large slowdown in their economy and definitely cause a panic. The correction will not last out the week, and will be minor.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6531

Miller wrote:

I dunno about that.  Until they can use their military on a global scale, I don't think they're really a super power.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6601|USA

Pubic wrote:

What does this mean for people like me who don't actually own any shares?
It means you should be looking for a way in.  Not now, but soon.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6729|San Antonio, Texas
Tomorrow should be interesting for the stock market...
Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6453|P-way, NJ
Didnt they want to buy a Us gas company or some shit like that?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

This is the first time I have noticed jitters on a Chinese stock exchange creating global economic waves. The Chinese dragon has landed. Does this herald the arrival of the next superpower?
Economics is linked globally.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6390|Melbourne, AUS

Bubbalo wrote:

Miller wrote:

I dunno about that.  Until they can use their military on a global scale, I don't think they're really a super power.
Are you sure? A global, militaristic empire with hegemonic intentions does not define a "superpower". 
Superpowers can also be political influence, or economic depth.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
You posted to quick Cam.  It was not only China.  There was a computer glitch that made it go down 246 points further then it had to, causing even more panic.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6799
Well today the Lodon market took a decent hit early on, I guess lots of people are still fearing the worst. Seems to be stabalising out now though. I guess we'll have to see what happens when the US wakes up.
EVieira
+105|6448|Lutenblaag, Molvania

CameronPoe wrote:

According to the IMF, China is the world's 2nd largest economy, more than double the size of its closest competitor, Japan, and growing at double digit rates every year. Yes, the new economic superpower has arrived. Once it awakens to its power, power will shift hands in the world.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6601|USA
Looks like the stock market had a bad hangover from a party.  Took some aspirin overnight and it looks much better today.

I am still getting out and looking for a new way in though.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

It just reemphasises their emergence as an economic super power. Need a load of nukes these days to call yourself a super power. And its only a matter of time before that happens.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6712|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
So I thought this was going to be a thread about an Asian outbreak of H5N1 bird flu and we were all going to die - ring a ring o' roses a pocket full of posies - Ah-tishoo, Ah-tishoo, all fall down (dead!!)
jonsimon
+224|6465
It's all bullshit. The change in the US stock market is not due to the same old Inflation pegging China has been doing since the red party came to power.
jonsimon
+224|6465

IG-Calibre wrote:

So I thought this was going to be a thread about an Asian outbreak of H5N1 bird flu and we were all going to die - ring a ring o' roses a pocket full of posies - Ah-tishoo, Ah-tishoo, all fall down (dead!!)
I think you mean "Ring around the rosey, pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down."
Commie Killer
+192|6357

jonsimon wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

I think you mean "Ring around the rosey, pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down."
I think he was trying to make a joke, though he failed. Totally.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Commie Killer wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

I think he was trying to make a joke, though he failed. Totally.
Although you do know that originally is about the plague.

Or is it?.. http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.htm

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-02-28 13:43:29)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6686|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wall_street

Apparently it was more like a hiccup and the markets are already rebounding...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard