Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
This is something Sony really, really needed..

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/kmart- … -slim/1269

The Rumors Are Reality”…at least according to Kmart this morning, as the blue light-toting retailer’s website has been updated to confirm a “New, Exciting” SKU for the PlayStation 3. Listed at $299.99, the PS3 SLIM unit is slated for release on August 24, 2009, and has the following description:

PS3, SLIM High-Definition Blu-ray player for the best movie experience. Free PLAYSTATION Network membership. 120GB HDD for downloading games, music, videos, and photos. Includes DUAL SHOCK 3 controller. HDMI output for 1080p resolution.

That’s all we got for now…we’ll let you now when Sony officially confirms this rather exciting news.
All I can hope is that it's not extremely stripped down.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6624|UK
Sounds cool.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6777|Great Brown North
how slim?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6618|London, England
They hardly really really need it. I still don't understand how people can go on about how the PS3 is a failure and is on a downward spiral and it's all game over. Just...weird really.

And I'd imagine it would be exactly the same as a normal PS3, except slimmer. Dunno what features would be stripped from it. It'll still probably have all the usual ports and the wireless etc..

There's a Sony Conference or some shit that's starting at 5.30BST (I think) today and I think that's when the Slim will be officially announced/unveiled.

I don't care, I've already got my PS3, and it's still working. *touch wood*

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-18 08:01:28)

edlT
2+2=Vagina
+46|5396|USA
Need picsss
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Mekstizzle wrote:

They hardly really really need it. I still don't understand how people can go on about how the PS3 is a failure and is on a downward spiral and it's all game over. Just...weird really.

And I'd imagine it would be exactly the same as a normal PS3, except slimmer. Dunno what features would be stripped from it. It'll still probably have all the usual ports and the wireless etc..

There's a Sony Conference or some shit that's starting at 5.30BST (I think) today and I think that's when the Slim will be officially announced/unveiled.

I don't care, I've already got my PS3, and it's still working. *touch wood*
They're being incredibly outsold every month. They're in 3rd place by far. They needed a jump.

July NPD game sales: Wii sold 253k, Xbox at 203k, PS3 at 122k
(from Geoff Keighly's twitter)

Not to mention major game companies are either no longer supporting it whatsoever (like Valve) or threatening to do so (Activision). A more competitive PS3 can only mean good things for the video game industry. If this doesn't work to boost sales however I wouldn't expect to see a next generation PlayStation.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Yeah, that's abit extreme. It's not exactly a Dreamcast or..... any of those other massively failed consoles. It's already probably done better than the original Xbox did with regards the PS2, and the original Xbox wasn't exactly considered a dramatic failure either. Some people like to cause drama for the sake of drama.

The Wii will always outsell the other two. Really it shouldn't be included but people like to include it for the sake of sales measuring.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah, that's abit extreme. It's not exactly a Dreamcast or..... any of those other massively failed consoles. It's already probably done better than the original Xbox did with regards the PS2, and the original Xbox wasn't exactly considered a dramatic failure either. Some people like to cause drama for the sake of drama.

The Wii will always outsell the other two. Really it shouldn't be included but people like to include it for the sake of sales measuring.
It doesn't matter. Sony's losing a lot of profit on it and they have a whole other sector of electronics/entertainment they can focus on. If the PS3 continues to lag behind the 360 and Activision holds through on their threat, what I said may become a possibility.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Sony's GamesCon conference is on now, Kotaku is liveblogging it:

http://kotaku.com/5339926/sony-2009-gam … pectacular
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6636|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Nice!

Now stop asking ''should I buy a ps3 or 360?'' you have the answer
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6267
What's the RRP of the current PS3's in dollars? For comparison?

Edit: Right it's $399.99, just checked on Amazon.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2009-08-18 10:31:37)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
$299 USD, 120 GB, 33% smaller, 36% lighter. Out in September.

https://web11.twitpic.com/img/24135745-ef7a186f3ac97b083a281c7785385154.4a8ae78d-scaled.jpg

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-08-18 10:41:18)

Red Forman
Banned
+402|5397

Poseidon wrote:

http://web11.twitpic.com/img/24135745-e … scaled.jpg
I have to ask, wtf is the point of the smaller, lighter thing?  I mean, are you carrying it across the sahara everyday or something?
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Red Forman wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

http://web11.twitpic.com/img/24135745-e … scaled.jpg
I have to ask, wtf is the point of the smaller, lighter thing?  I mean, are you carrying it across the sahara everyday or something?
Yeah, never understood that. Although I guess if it's smaller that means it takes up less space...wherever you decide to put it. Usually it's just about translating it into the thing being cheaper to produce, so it's cheaper at the stores.

Oh yeah and can someone rehost the pic, wtf is twitpic, something normal that works, like photobucket or tinypic, or bf2s.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-18 11:01:57)

Red Forman
Banned
+402|5397
bollocks.  an ipod nano is more than the regular one.

Last edited by Red Forman (2009-08-18 11:02:39)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
Yeah but that's Apple, you can't apply normal business sense to Apple.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah but that's Apple, you can't apply normal business sense to Apple.
Well, you can.

And an iPod Nano doesn't cost more than a normal one, at all .

It seems the fault lies in consumer sense and knowledge, not business strategy...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5397
that true actually.  i dunno.  dont own one.  just figured the newer one would be more.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Yeah I was just going by what he said, and then took that as an opportunity to knock Apple, cos I do that
Red Forman
Banned
+402|5397

Mekstizzle wrote:

took that as an opportunity to knock Apple, cos I do that
nothing wrong with that.  yuppiepods are fail anyway.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

I'm really excited for this. Been reading Kotaku for a while and seeing the massive amounts of signs that point to the rumor of a slim being possibly true. I want a PS3 very badly, but with each console generation, I've had to wait later and later before I could finally afford to buy the console (or before I was willing to put enough money into it) [e.g., I didn't get a PS2 until a few years after it had initially come out, looks like for the PS3 it'll be 3 or 4?].

However, one concern with this smaller version is if it's going to be stripped-down like the OP mentioned. Built-in wireless is extremely handy these days, and more importantly, I must be able to switch out the HDD easily.

EDIT: One more thing: I doubt the slim version will be released in the coming weeks of August. I think it could possibly be delayed until later. They're probably gonna go with a price drop of the original PS3 just to clear stock first.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-08-18 11:56:13)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5747|شمال
If it is true, I will buy one
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
https://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/08/custom_1250619126248_PS3_Controller_.jpg
SamBo:D
Banned
+236|5494|England
bigger one looks better
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

SamBo:D wrote:

bigger one looks better
Agree. I liked the shininess of it, even if it means I'd get fingerprints on it. None of this dull matte crap

I would orgasm if at their press conference they also announced the new slim version had backwards compatibility as well but that would never happen

Last edited by mtb0minime (2009-08-18 12:13:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard