• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Rumors about Apple's acquisition of Electronic Arts (EA)
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653
Reports are swirling that Apple is considering a move into the gaming market via an acquisition of Electronic Arts (EA). And while those are currently just rumors, what is confirmed is that Apple has recently poached Microsoft's former head of Xbox strategy, Richard Teversham.

Additionally, the company appears to be making a move toward designing its own chips for Apple machines, which could alter the gaming landscape. However, the gaming strategy that the company could roll out wouldn't have to be limited to just notebooks, desktops and mobile devices -- Apple could have amazing success with its own platform.

source
Would it be a good move or bad move? Would u like to see Apple buy out EA?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85
Apple seems to be making the false assumption that EA makes good games.
Ioan92
+337|5730
RottenApples & Evil Arts.

That's it, were fucked.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

well lets put it this way do you think EA games would come out with less glitches if Apple were acquire EA?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6851|Reykjavík, Iceland.
This could be a good thing. This could make more games with OpenGL support, ie: Playable in Linux.

Although only 5% of the games EA releases is worth even pirating.
GR34
+215|6553|ALBERTA> CANADA
so lets do the math. Shitty Game publisher + crappy computer Manufacturer= Fail x 10^99999
Flaming_Maniac

blademaster wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

well lets put it this way do you think EA games would come out with less glitches if Apple were acquire EA?
no?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6422|Finland

O fuck its end of the world D:

or maybe they are thinking that bad*bad = good. just like -*-=+ in maths
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
So PC gamers hate Apple... and PC gamers hate EA...

So when they pair themselves off to neatly and conveniently destroy each other's profits and hopes of survival, PC gamers then whine and bitch and moan some more? Sometimes I'm ashamed to play PC games, you guys can be bigger whiners than even the 13 year old console crowd.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

I'm surprised they can afford it. EA are gigantic.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5989|Toronto

ghettoperson wrote:

I'm surprised they can afford it. EA are gigantic.
This. Also, why the hell would they want to buy a manufacturer which mainly makes non-Apple games? No sense IMO.
I like pie.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
EA are midget-dwarfs compared to Apple.

You can't really compare the worldwide success of the iPod-generation / iPhone generation / iTunes generation with a few shoddy sports and racing games. BF2 was, lets face it, the last time EA ever had any real involvement in an FPS game that made it big- everything else they have published or touched has been a transient pile of fade in / fade out crap. Apple have had huge domination over the mp3/mp4 player market for several years solid, and single-handedly swooped in on the overcrowded and hugely profitable mobile-phone market and shat on the competition there too. Not to mention that tons of people with too much money to spend or too much concern for style and aesthetic blow thousands of bucks on their Macbooks / MB Pros / Air (which was a huge introduction-innovation in itself) and desktop-design PC's. They're practically the industry-standard for that shit. Apple are huge compared to EA, don't be confused by the size of the product portfolio.

TSI wrote:

This. Also, why the hell would they want to buy a manufacturer which mainly makes non-Apple games? No sense IMO.
Say... I dunno... maybe to combine the developmental efforts to cross-develop and introduce Linux/OSX support for said games? Your logic fails here, it makes complete sense from a business point of view. Apple can either try to launch, develop and fund a gaming industry for OSX/Linux all by themselves, or they can buy out or buy in to an already-existing and already-huge PC gaming company, and then do some organisational and objective reshuffling to focus on platforms other than Windows. Makes real good sense to me. If the venture fails miserably and causes huge gigantic losses, then oh well, no loss to PC gamers. A benefit in fact- the world will be rid of two great evils. I really don't see why Windows geeks are bitching about this move; in my opinion it's a noble and applaudable effort they're making. Good intentions at least.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-05-06 18:07:28)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Also, where are these rumours coming from? Sounds like 100% bullshit to me, none of the major tech sites have anything about it, including MacWorld.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6750|FUCK UBISOFT

Are they going to let us change the hardware in our macs?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Flaming_Maniac

Uzique wrote:

So when they pair themselves off to neatly and conveniently destroy each other's profits and hopes of survival, PC gamers then whine and bitch and moan some more? Sometimes I'm ashamed to play PC games, you guys can be bigger whiners than even the 13 year old console crowd.
lolz
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5989|Toronto

Uzique wrote:

You can't really compare the worldwide success of the iPod-generation / iPhone generation / iTunes generation with a few shoddy sports and racing games. BF2 was, lets face it, the last time EA ever had any real involvement in an FPS game that made it big- everything else they have published or touched has been a transient pile of fade in / fade out crap. Apple have had huge domination over the mp3/mp4 player market for several years solid, and single-handedly swooped in on the overcrowded and hugely profitable mobile-phone market and shat on the competition there too. Not to mention that tons of people with too much money to spend or too much concern for style and aesthetic blow thousands of bucks on their Macbooks / MB Pros / Air (which was a huge introduction-innovation in itself) and desktop-design PC's. They're practically the industry-standard for that shit. Apple are huge compared to EA, don't be confused by the size of the product portfolio.

TSI wrote:

Say... I dunno... maybe to combine the developmental efforts to cross-develop and introduce Linux/OSX support for said games? Your logic fails here, it makes complete sense from a business point of view. Apple can either try to launch, develop and fund a gaming industry for OSX/Linux all by themselves, or they can buy out or buy in to an already-existing and already-huge PC gaming company, and then do some organisational and objective reshuffling to focus on platforms other than Windows. Makes real good sense to me. If the venture fails miserably and causes huge gigantic losses, then oh well, no loss to PC gamers. A benefit in fact- the world will be rid of two great evils. I really don't see why Windows geeks are bitching about this move; in my opinion it's a noble and applaudable effort they're making. Good intentions at least.
You don't do that sort of thing when you can't even sell your current wares...nobody's going to start buying macs because they suddenly can play Crysis; the appeal of PC gaming is that a) it's infinitely customisable b) there's no hardware monopoly and c) you don't pay a premium for shit you don't want (OS X much?)
I like pie.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I play EA games among other publishers because they have such a large portion of the market. Hell, BF2 itself is EA. I doubt that Apple would force them to release Mac-only games (seriously, a couple extra grand for a computer with a year-old video card?). That would just boost sales for other publishers.

Uzique wrote:

Then don't whine on a PC gaming forum.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-06 19:12:26)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476
What about all of EA's games that are currently in production for the PC?

Also Mac game sales are lol-able, though oddly enough the most recent good game made for a Mac was Red Alert 3. Though I would rather not try to play an RTS game without right click.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

TSI wrote:

Uzique wrote:

TSI wrote:

You don't do that sort of thing when you can't even sell your current wares...nobody's going to start buying macs because they suddenly can play Crysis; the appeal of PC gaming is that a) it's infinitely customisable b) there's no hardware monopoly and c) you don't pay a premium for shit you don't want (OS X much?)
Can't even sell your current wares? Whether you like their products or not, EA and Apple are both insanely successful. Conversely to your points, Macs have an "appeal" in their own way in that a) they don't need customisation or technical wizardry to run efficiently and at a competent level, they do it from the box, b) see A, people don't need other hardware or hardware replacements when the technology just works as intended from stock and c) see A + B, people are prepared to pay premium price including premium profit margins when it involves an easier, hassle-free product that won't encounter any of the difficulties of Windows. And what do you mean by "OSX much?" OSX is cheaper than Vista, in almost every package.

Docta, just because Apple are taking over EA, it doesn't mean they're going to cease all EA operations and axe all PC games they have in the pipeline. At the very worst I suppose you could expect some delay as they try to port the game to Intel-core Mac OSX/Linux operating systems as well. Sure enough, Mac game sales are lol-able, but that's the PC's purpose and the PC's market. I don't think Apple or Mac have ever really made a proper attempt to crack into the games industry, it's just never been the niche that they have aimed for. People that pointlessly flame on them for that reason really only piss on their own business-ineptitude.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6157|'straya

Uzique wrote:

a) they don't need customisation or technical wizardry to run efficiently and at a competent level, they do it from the box, b) see A, people don't need other hardware or hardware replacements when the technology just works as intended from stock and c) see A + B, people are prepared to pay premium price including premium profit margins when it involves an easier, hassle-free product that won't encounter any of the difficulties of Windows.
Well I don't know about working competently from the box. I'm sure most do but take my cousins Macbook Pro as an example, it came and was broken, sent away got a new one and it works  as long as you don't want to use it for more than 30 min because it starts to melt itself. Repair costs for Macs are extortionate, another example, my friends screen on her mac was broken,it was a few years old now, it only cost her $100 more to buy a brand new one then get it repaired... that sounds fair lol.

PC's and mac both have problems, theres no escaping it. In reality Macs (and other things from apple) are practically fashion statements. The "cool" "arty" "Non-conformists" use macs... not because they're really any better, but because they feel it somehow makes them superior to the majority that use PC's

(PS i don't want to start another fucking Mac vs PC debate)
thraSK
Best ___ in Aus
+57|5990
EA to make mac only games
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6851|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

PC's and mac both have problems, theres no escaping it. In reality Macs (and other things from apple) are practically fashion statements. The "cool" "arty" "Non-conformists" use macs... not because they're really any better, but because they feel it somehow makes them superior to the majority that use PC's
That's funny, because 80% of the laptops I see at school are macs.

tbqh, UNIX is the true nonconformist, according to the numbers
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

Macs will never be a viable gaming platform with the shitty GPUs that they sell with their systems.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6157|'straya

Sydney wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

That's funny, because 80% of the laptops I see at school are macs.

tbqh, UNIX is the true nonconformist, according to the numbers
Well maybe that says something about our school or countrys or cultures or something lol. because out of every student in my grade only one owns a mac.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2009-05-07 05:16:35)

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5619|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

What about all of EA's games that are currently in production for the PC?

Also Mac game sales are lol-able, though oddly enough the most recent good game made for a Mac was Red Alert 3. Though I would rather not try to play an RTS game without right click.
OS X has right click, it's just shit without using a regular mouse.

EDIT: I would NEVER game on a Mac, I can't stand those things, my school has them, and they are annoying as hell.

Last edited by nickb64 (2009-05-07 06:23:49)

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Rumors about Apple's acquisition of Electronic Arts (EA)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard