Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida
Why does one assume the speed of light is the absolute fastest speed possible, simply because its the fastest we can see?

If the entire race of humans evolved with sonar instead of vision, would we assume the speed of sound is the fastest available? Since we would have no idea of what light is.
15 more years! 15 more years!
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum

Mitch wrote:

Why does one assume the speed of light is the absolute fastest speed possible, simply because its the fastest we can see?

If the entire race of humans evolved with sonar instead of vision, would we assume the speed of sound is the fastest available? Since we would have no idea of what light is.
ask adam
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5770|Belgium
Cause Einstein said so :x
gnot<3
Leave blank to use forum default.
+45|5560
just cuz
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6492|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
would we be able to calculate speed or distance without Vision?
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6769|d
They calculated and measured light speed to be the same for all observers, even when they are moving relative to the light source.
Einstein showed that the existence of such a constant speed leads to the conclusion that this speed is the highest possible speed.
And why is it exacly light´s speed? Because light (a photon) has no mass; no matter how small the amount of energy you give it, it will run away as fast as possible.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum

hawaythelads wrote:

depends on what you class as 'vision'
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

mafia996630 wrote:

They calculated and measured light speed to be the same for all observers, even when they are moving relative to the light source.
Einstein showed that the existence of such a constant speed leads to the conclusion that this speed is the highest possible speed.
And why is it exacly light´s speed? Because light (a photon) has no mass; no matter how small the amount of energy you give it, it will run away as fast as possible.
Right but is it fair to assume that we can ever create a "total theory" of the universe if we cannot see past the 3rd dimension? Theory's talking about 11 demensions, isn't that like target practice with a blindfold?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5794|Catherine Black
The only thing faster than the speed of light was me manning the harpoons when you posted pics of your ex.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6638

Finray wrote:

The only thing faster than the speed of light was me manning the harpoons when you posted pics of your ex.
Same goes for your current.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

FatherTed wrote:

hawaythelads wrote:

The eye picking up photons and producing a picture as it does today
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum

Finray wrote:

Theoretically, you need infinite mass and energy to go the speed of light.

So you just called yourself a massive fatass

/scienceburn
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5794|Catherine Black

Gooners wrote:

Finray wrote:

Same goes for your current.
Manning harpoons = chick is fat.

Jenni =/= fat.

@Ted, anything going the speed of light would have infinate mass. Theory of Relativity, look it up some time.

Last edited by Finray (2009-02-26 14:25:09)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5755|شمال
We don't know as much as we want to think we know
But we know we have to observe and assume to be able to gain knowledge.
Thats how it works imo.

Unless someone, someday, discover a speed higher than the speed of light.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

FatherTed wrote:

Finray wrote:

/scienceburn
or zero mass, as appearently a photon has?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum

Mitch wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

hawaythelads wrote:

bats seem to cope quite well
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6241|Uk
it has nothing to do with the fact that we use light to see

at all
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5755|شمال

Mitch wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Finray wrote:

/scienceburn
or zero mass, as appearently a photon has?
I remember it as "we dont know, but we assume it has no mass" issue ?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6747|FUCK UBISOFT

Mitch wrote:

we don't.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6769|d

Mitch wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

Right but is it fair to assume that we can ever create a "total theory" of the universe if we cannot see past the 3rd dimension? Theory's talking about 11 demensions, isn't that like target practice with a blindfold?
Never say never if that "ever" was suppose to be a never.

That 11th dimension video was too hardcore for me. Also imagine how fuked time dilation would be if you could go faster then light ?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

FatherTed wrote:

Mitch wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

bats seem to cope quite well
Indeed they do, but if the entire human race evolved with a batlike sonar, and no eyes, would they form the idea that sound is the fastest thing around.

What im getting at, is just because light is the fastest thing we can measure, does that mean something else doesn't exist?

As a bat what the speed of light is, he'll say 'whats light, all i know is sound'

Ask a human what the speed of *nameforexampleenergy* is, he'll ask whats that i only know light
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6747|FUCK UBISOFT

Mitch wrote:

As a bat what the speed of light is, he'll say 'whats light, all i know is sound'
That's one smart fucking bat.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida

mafia996630 wrote:

Mitch wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

That 11th dimension video was too hardcore for me. Also imagine how fuked time dilation would be if you could go faster then light ?
I meant 'ever' not never,
let me say it differently,

how can we expect to create a total theory...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6712|67.222.138.85

mkxiii wrote:

it has nothing to do with the fact that we use light to see

at all
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6769|d

Mitch wrote:

mafia996630 wrote:

Mitch wrote:

I meant 'ever' not never,
let me say it differently,

how can we expect to create a total theory...
I would have thought, a "Total theory" is never possible because science evolves and so do theories. For example, if we reach the 11th dimension then someone will probz come up with a theory for the 12th, etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard