Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6814|Orlando, FL - Age 43

dondon wrote:

EA needs to stop trying to "even out" the game. I know many people are happy with it as it is.
I couldn't agree more. IMNSHO, they should concentrate more on actual glitches in the game, i.e.; Red/Blue name bug, crash to desktop, the server browser, etc.
ronin1942
+-1|6851

Darth_Fleder wrote:

dondon wrote:

EA needs to stop trying to "even out" the game. I know many people are happy with it as it is.
I couldn't agree more. IMNSHO, they should concentrate more on actual glitches in the game, i.e.; Red/Blue name bug, crash to desktop, the server browser, etc.
couldnt agree more!
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6778|AUS, Canberra

ronin1942 wrote:

Darth_Fleder wrote:

dondon wrote:

couldnt agree more!
me either,

they need to spend more time fixing the bugs that give everyone the shits instead of the things that give a few people the poo's
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6750|United Kingdom
Don't mean to blow my own whistle, so to speak, but I've taken out vehicles with the 'nade launcher. Ok, they were badly damaged, but still. Without the 'nade launcher, I'd have been blow all , around, under, and across the wall - but I had it, and it certainly gave that APC driver a shock.

I ditest those that use the 'n00b t00b' ALL the TIME. Those that have to hide 'round the corner while they reload it, when they could have easily switched back to normal firing mode and shot me. I often use it, however. Not like the noobs though. When I spy a humvie speeding towards my suddenly small and frail frame, the GP-30 is what stands between me and road kill (I don't know if this is just me...people always seem to be trying to drive over me. And yes, they are  mostly on my own team...).

Seriously now...something needs to be done about these 'softcore' images going about. Yes, Jessica Alba is hot and all that, but I almost got in the shit because that was filling up the screen :p

Last edited by -=Meshekal=- (2005-12-22 16:46:58)

BeforeGod
+0|6823|British Columbia

Darth_Fleder wrote:

dondon wrote:

I can't understand all this talk of the game being glitchy. I rarely, if ever, encounter these problems. I do however encounter the imbalances in gameplay just about every game. I think those are the things that need a higher priority.
starman7
+15|6733
Basically, the GL is anti-infantry, but it can be used in a pinch to give very light anti-armor and medium anti-vehicle defense.  It can be used in a pinch to take out groups of infantry, and if you can survive that long, two shots will destroy a transport.  It also deals damage to choppers and armor (although not much to armor), and will kill passengers in transport choppers.  That is its role.

As for noob toobers, I define them as ppl who go around using the GL as their primary weapon, especially at close range, and who do not use their primary weapon/sidearm unless they are out of grenades, and who rarely pull something out if surprised reloading.  My fix would be the minimum arming time and more realistic splash damage (grenades are not shaped-charge like rockets and explode in every direction).
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6828
grenade launchers have always been my favorite type of weapon in fps. except in hardcore DM games, they're usually the hardest weapons to kill with. q3 nades, ut2k3/4 biorifle, etc.

i disagree with almost all attempts to make the game more realistic. the only thing that matters is fun and balance, realism is only a good thing if it enhances those two other things.

i don't see a problem at all with a class which has the capacity to insta-kill infantry from point blank range out to 100 meters. one shot, curved trajectory, possibility of self-damage, and slow reload... it does not need to be nerfed in any way.

really the people that complain the most are the infantry whores who refuse to play anything other than karkand. on most maps assault isn't even a force to be reckoned with.
RKF77
+1|6759

Krappyappy wrote:

possibility of self-damage
That possibility is negligible at best, thanks to the piss-poor coding.  There's no good reason to not fix that.  It's just silly.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6828

RKF77 wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

That possibility is negligible at best, thanks to the piss-poor coding.  There's no good reason to not fix that.  It's just silly.
you wouldn't think so, from all the bitching and moaning that goes on in these forums about 'noob tubers who blow themselves and their opponent up at the same time.'
the_ubernoob_
+8|6752
Bring back the GL that the german engineers had in Secret Weapons!!!!!!
RKF77
+1|6759

Krappyappy wrote:

RKF77 wrote:

Krappyappy wrote:

you wouldn't think so, from all the bitching and moaning that goes on in these forums about 'noob tubers who blow themselves and their opponent up at the same time.'
That's not the main argument I see here, or anywhere else.

The main argument I see here is, overwhelmingly, that you can literally fire it at your feet in CQB and get the kill, then run off to do it again.  If you fire it anywhere inside a 10 meter radius, you should die too, or at least be seriously injured.  That's not a realism argument, that's simply common sense.  It's a freaking grenade, not a water balloon.
RVS-Valve
+0|6748
I guess just to put my two cents in..

The 203 is designed for light anti-vehicle and anti-unit tactics. Like someone said above, Assualt is a popular class. If you get 2-3 people in a squad as assualt, then you've got a multi-purpose unit. You have rifles for taking out infantry, and 203s for taking out vehicles. If you're squad is coordinated enough, you can easily take out even tanks. Everyone takes their turn firing at the tank. While the last person is reloading, two more people are firing, resulting in a constant bombardment of grenades. One member of the squad can be used as a defender, protecting his fellow squadmates from incoming infantry attacks with his rifle. The 203 is NOT meant to be used against one infantry. If you were in the army, would you waste one of your few grenades to kill a single attacker? No! It's other primary use is taking out or damaging multiple people. I.e., a squad capping a flag. Two or three people in close quarters. This would be the opportune time to use the 203. Lob one in the middle, damaging, and maybe killing, several of them. Then you switch to your assualt rifle and finish them off.

The problem with the n00b t00bers is that they don't believe in teamwork. If they did, they wouldn't feel the need to use a cheap tactic to earn points. Seriously, how many t00bers do you see running around in a group? 99 out of 100 times it's a single guy running arond blowing people up. "Look at me, look at my massive score! I hop around and blow you up with my t00b, biatch! Don't be hatin'!" They also lack skill in actually using the rifle itself. Pathetic, really.

The whole game is based on teamwork. Squad up, use your mic, and don't be a t00bing smacktard. If you can work well as a team, you'll be scoring more points then if you were alone with your pussy t00b.

I was playing on Kentucky Fried Server the other night, and there was a guy who was "#11 in the world," so he said. You know what he did all round? Use the 203 on people. Everytime I saw him score, it was 203. Even so, he was terrible at the game! I killed him so many times, it was hilarious.

T00bers are lamers are assholes. If you disagree and aren't a t00ber, I want to hear your side. If you are a t00ber, then don't bother quoting me.

And yes, the 203 in AA was done very well. It prevented a lot of situations like you find in BF2. It made sure you actually used it in a more acceptable manner. If you can hit me 3 buildings away while I'm running with a 203 in BF2, you've got skill. I won't argue with that. That doesn't excuse the fact that you have a rifle that works just as well at that distance. Learn to shoot. That's why they give you a gun.

Ok, I'm done.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6814|The planet Tophet
ok guys look i have seen videos of the M203 in real life its used to destroy far away targets sometimes  i also have read and witnessed it on bf2 it can take out a buggy in one shot!!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6828

RKF77 wrote:

The main argument I see here is, overwhelmingly, that you can literally fire it at your feet in CQB and get the kill, then run off to do it again.
uh, i hope by 'literally' you meant 'not literally' because firing a GL at your feet is a sure way to kill yourself.
mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6846|Munich, Germany

Krappyappy wrote:

RKF77 wrote:

The main argument I see here is, overwhelmingly, that you can literally fire it at your feet in CQB and get the kill, then run off to do it again.
uh, i hope by 'literally' you meant 'not literally' because firing a GL at your feet is a sure way to kill yourself.
not when you jump at the same moment since the height prevents you from dying and thats why the Dev´s will take out the ability to shoot while jumping. i guess we will see some more suicides during the first days of the new patch

anyway the 203 in AA was realistic but also much more powerful. andi  dont see the problem in giving it a min arming distance cause then its only a matter of using your brain and to be honest in BF2 you even have indicators on distance wich makes it even easier to determine if it would blow up or not. and even if you get a dud against a jeep it shouldnt be to hard to switch or take cover.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6728|California

the people at dice dont play on real world servers, nuff said
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6751|Malaga, España

stryyker wrote:

the people at dice dont play on real world servers, nuff said
they play in in their office on lan for Dice Only...and if someone is using to tube against infantery they beat the shit outta him behind his computer
Dice Fix the Game and do not exploit ur ideas...coz we are not interested in ur Fantasy
mpec82
+-1|6729
GL is really unbalanced, the real gl arms the round after tot meters, instead here u can shot it also on your feet, the real problem is this.
RKF77
+1|6759

Krappyappy wrote:

RKF77 wrote:

No, I meant literally.  As mort4u stated, if you jump as you fire it, you can fire it straight down and kill whoever's in front of you, but not yourself.  Even without jumping, you can fire it a couple meters in front of you and get the kill and live, too.

As I said, it's just silly, and there's no good reason why it should be fixed.  The grenade launcher is the *perfect* example of something that's broken that needs to be fixed...players that use it as it's meant to be used won't notice a thing.  Players that are exploiting its piss-poor modeling will simply not be able to exploit it anymore.

I agree with you to some extent that realism should take a back seat to gameplay, but the grenade launchers are one of those things where making it more realistic also improves gameplay.
roymitchel1
+0|6713
a 203 irl is for covering deadspace.  as in places that direct fire cant accurately target.  so lets say you are in your little patrol base in the woods and theres a decent sized depression where the enemy could take cover from your fire, you drop 203 rounds in there because its an indirect fire weapon.

it is also good against technicals.

we hardly ever used the hedp rounds, mainly the smoke, signal and lum.
RedFiercare
The Kid
+2|6751
There is a really simple way to fix this that nobody has mentioned on it's own.  Quite simple.

Instead of having the splash damage explode outward (Shooter -> Target)
Make it explode inward  (Shooter <- Target) so that the shooter will die if too close to the blast.  This will make noob-tubing much less effective, and a little harder to use...
So that you would have to shoot past an enemy to kill him, and still risk killing yourself (Shooter Target <-)
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6728

RedFiercare wrote:

There is a really simple way to fix this that nobody has mentioned on it's own.  Quite simple.

Instead of having the splash damage explode outward (Shooter -> Target)
Make it explode inward  (Shooter <- Target) so that the shooter will die if too close to the blast.  This will make noob-tubing much less effective, and a little harder to use...
So that you would have to shoot past an enemy to kill him, and still risk killing yourself (Shooter Target <-)
Splash damage already explodes to all sites, not just forward...
RedFiercare
The Kid
+2|6751
If that was the case, you would die if you shot the tube at the ground.
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6728
You do

The damage is just very small so you need to fire it at your feet.
RKF77
+1|6759

RedFiercare wrote:

If that was the case, you would die if you shot the tube at the ground.
Except you don't...the only way to kill yourself with the grenade launcher is to fire it directly on the tops of your boots and not jump at the same time.  We've all seen how it works...a no-talent hack running around with the -203 armed and ready turns a corner, you get off a round or two, he fires it at the ground...you die, he runs off reloading.

The fix that makes the most sense is a minimum distance-to-arm fuse.  There's absolutely no good argument against that sort of implementation.  a 20-meter arming fuse would eliminate all complaints about noob-toobing.  It's as simple as that.  That makes the weapon effective at medium-to-long ranges against infantry, effective against light vehicles, but removes the exploit.

This is when I wish DICE was like Red Storm was with Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear.  The development team would listen to us and converse with us on their forums, telling us what was possible and what wasn't, and why.   I would LOVE to hear a DICE developer's stance on this sort of fix for the grenade launchers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard