jsnipy
+3,276|6544|...

misconfiguration wrote:

demondspawn wrote:

I got myself a alinware pc about 2 years ago will not get another one of them will now build my own, but i have one good case to build my new pc into
Alienware still makes some bad ass rigs, they're a bit overpriced. You could seriously build your own more-powerful machine for a considerable amount less. Albeit buying an Alienware just isn't about performance, it's a status symbol among gamers, am I wrong? Another thing, you honestly can't beat the performance the laptops have to offer. Laptop parts are so proprietary it's almost impossible to build a rig as powerful as the Alienware lappy's come, that's why my laptop is a Alienware, when I'm on the road I need to have some sort of gaming rig to travel. They're bulky as hell but damn I can play BF2 at 50FPS, not to shabby for a laptop.
They are a symbol to entry level pc gamers imo (or console players who know nothing about pc's)
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6418|Indianapolis, IN

jsnipy wrote:

misconfiguration wrote:

demondspawn wrote:

I got myself a alinware pc about 2 years ago will not get another one of them will now build my own, but i have one good case to build my new pc into
Alienware still makes some bad ass rigs, they're a bit overpriced. You could seriously build your own more-powerful machine for a considerable amount less. Albeit buying an Alienware just isn't about performance, it's a status symbol among gamers, am I wrong? Another thing, you honestly can't beat the performance the laptops have to offer. Laptop parts are so proprietary it's almost impossible to build a rig as powerful as the Alienware lappy's come, that's why my laptop is a Alienware, when I'm on the road I need to have some sort of gaming rig to travel. They're bulky as hell but damn I can play BF2 at 50FPS, not to shabby for a laptop.
They are a symbol to entry level pc gamers imo (or console players who know nothing about pc's)
That's true as well I have build my own machines for ages, but you have to admit I'm correct about the laptops!!
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6572|Reading, Basingrad
Alienware = bunch of low down dirty bastards.

Read this thread

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=51020
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6655|Florida

Revelstoke wrote:

hate to break it to you man, but alienware was always shit

if you really dont want to make your own, check out these guys, theyre canadian, and they have the sweetest paintjobs ever, plus they're given a big thumbs up from fps doug and the pure pwnage crew if you watch them..

www.voodoopc.com

really really sweet, i really suggest you take a look at them..
They are getting bought out by HP, so your statements might be null and void soon.
Masta_Daco
+39|6758|Amsterdam,The Netherlands
here in the netherlands we have a very expensive but also high quality computer shop check it out

www.ikbenstil.nl
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6571|UK

With alienware your paying for the name and the build quality, there can be no doubt (most of the time) they produce the best quality systems on the market, cases alone cost £300.  However, you can spec up a similar system your self for a LOT less cash, your not going to have the warranty or the customer service, but you will save a bundle.  Alienware really should only be an option for ultimate gaming systems, I know they make affordable ones to, but if your spending less than £1800 you will not get your moneys worth out of an Alienware.  Top end ALX systems there flagship is where its at, most of us cant afford those things, so if your looking for an excellent system for a descent price look else where.  IF pirce isnt an issue, Alienware is a great option, as they are great (at the top end of the scale), plus they do all sorts of tweaks to hardware etc.

In short, no they havent, as long as your not kidding yourself, most of us cant afford a proper high end alienware machine.

Martyn
Microwave
_
+515|6677|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
fan_boy 

Back to the point:

Everyone knows if you build your own it will be cheaper...ya?.

But you don't just buy performance, the customer service is great.
Also i think the case looks amazing; adds a great touch to a room, and yes, (as the guy said above) it is a symbol among gamers (i don't know what the fuck that other guy was saying it being a symbol of entry level pc gamers....ha.]

It's just the little things that make the difference to a good buy, not just the raw specs.
For example...the alienware windows theme is reallly nice, the build quality is great and small things like the alienware customized (microsoft) mouse and mousepad are brilliant.

All my friends (who are all gamers) with me included find my pc alot easier to physically play the games on...bearing in mind...that's what it is designed for, unlike Dell etc.

Thats just an opinion from someone with experience.

Thanks for reading
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6788|UK

CrazeD wrote:

Vilham wrote:

This is my story of Alienware.

I browse their laptops and choose one with:

1gb RAM
2.0 Ghz Core Duo 2
Geforce 7400
15" Screen

I order it on September 6th for £1210.
It arrives on August 20th.
I run 3d Mark06 on it against my friends same priced Dell Inspirion 9400. It scores around 1400 the Dell scores 3551.
I phone Alienware and ask for my 14 day refund BY LAW. They fuck me about for 1 week and cost me £100 in travelling and phone calls, not to mention he £50 return cost my dad stumped up, luckily.
I return the Alienware.
I get a Dell Inspriron 9400 with:

2Gb RAM
2.0Ghz Core Duo2
Geforce 7900 GS
17" Screen

Conclusion? Alienware have gone to shit! They sold me a laptop that cant game and claim it "packs the punch of Core 2 Duo processors to blaze through your games". How the hell can they expect to stay alive if they can't produce gaming laptops that are better than other companies for the same price? Word of warning:

DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE'S!
So, basically you're saying you didn't do research, bought a machine with lesser specs, then got surprised with how a machine of better specs smoked it in a benchmark, then returned your machine, and call the company bad? Sorry dude, it doesn't work that way. YOU bought a POS because YOU obviously didn't care to spend much time in researching it.

Now, I do not believe that Alienware is the way to go, I don't like Alienware, and I am all for building your own system. HOWEVER, your story in no way says that Alienware is a bad company, it only means you can't read.

Alienware doesn't really make "bad" computers. They use top of the line components and everything. You can even find liquid-cooled Alienwares. However, they jack the price through the roof for no reason at all. If you buy an Alienware, you are paying nearly 60 - 70% for the name "Alienware".

They sell one machine for 6 or 7000$, which you can build a BETTER system for less than 2500$. If they knocked their prices by atleast 40%, they MAY start to look considerable.

That and the fact of what they said about the reviews on websites. For those that don't know, they basically said, "Give us (alienware) a positive review, or we'll no longer give you parts for review". That, in my mind, is very unprofessional and selfish of them. That makes me not want anything to do with the company, just because of that.

For all that want a new computer, do not buy an Alienware, or a Dell, or an eMachines, or any pre-built. BUILD YOUR OWN if you want a high-tech, top-of-the-line, QUALITY machine. You will know EXACTLY what is in it, you can start with a FRESH OS, no marketing crap that is pre-installed (yes I'm aware you can erase all that, but still); and you have the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when it's all done.

Building a computer is not hard at all! It's literally a matter of plugging in some PCB boards, some wires, and putting some screws in.
You get me wrong...

They sold a computer under the phase "gaming" that cant game.
Their customer services is meant to be the one thing that is good about them, it was shit and cost me £150.

That is what got me anoyed. As to your last paragraph, you dont build your own laptop you douche, its far too much hassle.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

The last Alienware I bought was shipped to me with a bad sound card, wrong bios, and had random BSOD from the first week I had it. It also had the wrong colors. The support disk that it came with was loaded with ATI drivers when I had a Nvidia card. I have owned 2 Alienwares and all I have to say is shoot yourself in the head and save yourself some time. When I call their Tech support I usually end up telling them what I should do. One time the guy asked me, "So Sir how is it you got to be so smart with computers?". I wanted to tell him from talking to dip shits like you on the phone. I have since redone everything myself.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1650.html

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-11-14 08:58:10)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6788|UK

LT.Victim wrote:

Deadman wrote:

Vilham wrote:

I order it on September 6th for £1210.
It arrives on August 20th.
Dude, thats fast delivery!!! LOL
Alienware must be awesome if they have a time machine. j/k
Ya wtf...

You waited almost a year for your Laptop? Typo?
lol my bad, i was very tired when i wrote this. I meant October 20th, still a wait of 1.5 months when it was meant to take 6 days.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6571|UK

Vilham wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

Deadman wrote:

Dude, thats fast delivery!!! LOL
Alienware must be awesome if they have a time machine. j/k
Ya wtf...

lol my bad, i was very tired when i wrote this. I meant October 20th, still a wait of 1.5 months when it was meant to take 6 days.
Dont they have a disclaimer for certain hardware saying 'may delay your order' or something like that?  Not been on alienware's site in a while *off to kid my self on I can afford a £6000 computer *.

Martyn
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6515|N. Ireland

SaladForks wrote:

Build your own.

Dell = Ripoff. They gave me a 170 power supply when a normal Pentium comp needs 350.

Alienware = Ripoff. Too expensive. Close it at that. Dell comp = 1/2 Alienware.

Custom ftw.
Umm.. Dell OWN Alienware..............
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6788|UK

james@alienware wrote:

fan_boy 

Back to the point:

Everyone knows if you build your own it will be cheaper...ya?.

But you don't just buy performance, the customer service is great.
Also i think the case looks amazing; adds a great touch to a room, and yes, (as the guy said above) it is a symbol among gamers (i don't know what the fuck that other guy was saying it being a symbol of entry level pc gamers....ha.]

It's just the little things that make the difference to a good buy, not just the raw specs.
For example...the alienware windows theme is reallly nice, the build quality is great and small things like the alienware customized (microsoft) mouse and mousepad are brilliant.

All my friends (who are all gamers) with me included find my pc alot easier to physically play the games on...bearing in mind...that's what it is designed for, unlike Dell etc.

Thats just an opinion from someone with experience.

Thanks for reading
In my case the reason i bought the alienware was because of their "gaming" reputation and their customer service, both failed to deliever.

AlienGUIse was the only good thing about the whole laptop.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6788|UK

Bell wrote:

Vilham wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

Ya wtf...

Dont they have a disclaimer for certain hardware saying 'may delay your order' or something like that?  Not been on alienware's site in a while *off to kid my self on I can afford a £6000 computer *.

Martyn
Yeah they do, the parts i got didnt have the delayed order chance.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6722|MoVal So-Cal
Personally, I prefer to get my Pc's from Cyberpower gaming. Why? The parts are equal to street price, the service is fast, the tech support is in America and not in bastard ass India. I have had positive experiences with them every time I buy from them. When we had problems with the processor heat sink (little borther was dumb, opened the case, took off the sink, toutched the thermal pad and then didn't secure it properly.) They sent us one for free, overnight. For $1500 i can get a pc that has the same power as a $4000 Alienware, a $100,000,000 Voodoo, a $1,000,000,000,000,000 Flacon Northwest or a poopie e-Machine from the year 2086.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

Pernicious544 wrote:

Personally, I prefer to get my Pc's from Cyberpower gaming. Why? The parts are equal to street price, the service is fast, the tech support is in America and not in bastard ass India. I have had positive experiences with them every time I buy from them. When we had problems with the processor heat sink (little borther was dumb, opened the case, took off the sink, toutched the thermal pad and then didn't secure it properly.) They sent us one for free, overnight. For $1500 i can get a pc that has the same power as a $4000 Alienware, a $100,000,000 Voodoo, a $1,000,000,000,000,000 Flacon Northwest or a poopie e-Machine from the year 2086.
Cyberpower has had some legal trouble lately. They actually operate under 2 names now. I think the other one is Ibuypower or something like that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KineticDeath
+2|6694
The best thing you can do is:

1. Research for the products you want in your PC (ie Video Card, CPU, etc.)
2. Go to newegg.com and build out your machine.
3. Go to Alienware or Dell and build out a comparable machine.
4. On Alienware or Dell be sure to add one of the warrantee packages (I personal recommend the top package)
5. Add the same amount for the warrantee package to newegg config or add warrantees from newegg
6. COMPARE

I saw someone say that Alienware charges 40-70% mark-up just for the name. They are seriously exaggerating. There is maybe 10% but that is at max. You will find that Alienware or Dell is competively priced. The question you really have to ask yourself is  - DO I WANT TO HAVE TO BUILD MY OWN AND THEN WORRY ABOUT ANY PART FAILURES?

Last edited by KineticDeath (2006-11-14 09:52:45)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

No the best thing you can do is look at their history..
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1650.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6410|New York
go with custom for gaming pc's, you'll save a shitload of money.

go with dell if you want a budget pc, alienware if you want to spend too much.

www.unitedmicro.com does pretty good. i'm going to build my next comp myself, but i got my current rig from them. great customer service and very reasonable pricing.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
KineticDeath
+2|6694
Statistics are always jaded and never accurate. I can produce a statistical analysis that says American's are the most beloved people in the world- that doesnt mean it's accurate or free from manipulation. Who did I ask? Did the people I ask always have good experiences with Americans? Did I censor the people who had a bad experience or completely rule them out? Did the people I ask meet the same Americans? Were the people that had bad experience influenced by prejudices built up from others?

The facts still come down to price and what you are wiling to do and live with. Other's experiences can help only to a certain point. You can't expect perfection from imperfect people. Dell, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo and all the rest of the computer manufacturers out there will produce good and bad computers no matter how much or how little you spend for it. It's a matter of personal experience. Get the warrantee - Don't worry about the rest.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

KineticDeath wrote:

Statistics are always jaded and never accurate. I can produce a statistical analysis that says American's are the most beloved people in the world- that doesnt mean it's accurate or free from manipulation. Who did I ask? Did the people I ask always have good experiences with Americans? Did I censor the people who had a bad experience or completely rule them out? Did the people I ask meet the same Americans? Were the people that had bad experience influenced by prejudices built up from others?

The facts still come down to price and what you are wiling to do and live with. Other's experiences can help only to a certain point. You can't expect perfection from imperfect people. Dell, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo and all the rest of the computer manufacturers out there will produce good and bad computers no matter how much or how little you spend for it. It's a matter of personal experience. Get the warrantee - Don't worry about the rest.
Ok well I have 2 Alienwares. So I guess you could say I could verify the statistics after the fact. It just was the expensive way to find out. You must take into a consideration and research the reviews from an unbiased site. It's called being an educated customer. If you look through them all you can see favorable opinions along with negative. At reseller ratings you can not rate or post a review without having them verify your order. Those 1143 reviews are from actual customers and I can also say Alienware pays attention to that site. After posting a review they sent me a $50 amazon.com certificate to try and sway my opinion..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6762
Mate waited 4 months for one he ordered form Alienware, got pissed off.

So when the  the nvidia 8800 came out, he built his own for a £1000 less than alienware, but alot better as well.

Here's  pic's of some of the stuff he ordered form overclockers.

https://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5126/cardscpunpowersupplyar5.jpg

https://img394.imageshack.us/img394/9994/newbits2jo4.jpg

The lucky git.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6571|UK

KineticDeath wrote:

The question you really have to ask yourself is  - DO I WANT TO HAVE TO BUILD MY OWN AND THEN WORRY ABOUT ANY PART FAILURES?
Well put!

KineticDeath wrote:

Again, couldnt put that better my self   Like this gentlemen said, you get good and bad with all human built product's (regardless if there on a production line of robots for the pedantic amoung you), that site Kmarion linked, would have us believe alienware in a word SUCK, and to bolster his argument you do hear horror stories about them.  I have a dell that is fecked beyond belief, friend of mine has a HP which is practically dead, and from my breif experiences with other custom machines, theres both good and bad all round.

You need to weigh the pros and cons of your purchase, to use Kmarion's own phrase, that would be what an 'educated customer' would do.  After that if you can justify buying a falcon or whatever over an Alienware then off you go.

Martyn
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6424
go to any website where they customize pc's, choose the highest end selections and downgrade

or go to ibuypower.com...why not?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard