<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6672|New York
I was thinking about this last night, Probably the Xanax talking LOL. But really, Who is this really hurting? OK, so Downloading takes money from Big inflated companies and who? Hollywood and Celebs? But think about it, Doesn't the money go Back into the economy? I mean the extra money is used to Buy say, Baby formula, Food for the kids, Pay Rent, Gas to get to your job. Just maybe the money could be used to pay for an over priced movie ticket once in awhile, or a CD. Yeah, one of the ones with all the parental warnings on it, you know ones that walmart wont carry because After they put the others out of Business, they are now the moral police. Think about it, I'm not condoning anything here, Was just thinking about it by chance.

Thoughts? Debate?
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6532|Cheshire, UK
Lets face it the only way they will ever be able to stop you download or sharing music would be to turn off the internet. It doesn't matter what protection they try and force in to files, afterall if there is a will to do it, there will be a way to do it.

Last edited by SkoobyDu (2006-10-19 06:16:41)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6672|New York

SkoobyDu wrote:

Lets face it the only way they will ever be able to stop you download or sharing music would be to turn off the internet. It doesn't matter what protection they try and force in to files, afterall if there is a will to do it, there will be a way to do it.
This is true, But the thing is, Is it really hurting the economy? Doesnt the money go Back into the economy in other ways? Thats what i was thinking. Seems the only ones Bitching about it are the Ultra billion dollar companies and the celebs that wipe there asses with $100 bills. I havent seen any negative impact what so ever. Except that the amount it takes to make a movie keeps going up, because some actor commands 10 million dollars for 6 months work on a film, or prices for a CD are way too much for a 5 cent piece of plastic. If the prices reflected a real value, then there wouldnt be such a problem. The more they tell people they cant share a song with there friend, the more determained people will be to make it so they can. Bluerey Will Kill the movie and music industry, They were better off letting things go as they are now instead of the course they are taking. If people truely find out what this new Tech is all about, You bet your ass they wont want to buy crap from these companies anymore.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6532|Cheshire, UK
/agree
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6547|Arlen, Texas
Suppose uou wanted to d/l some free music, which program  (in theory, of course) would you use? WinMX is going strong if you get the patch for it, for the sake of discussion. If you were so inclined....

Edit: If you get a copy of an import cd , then what right does the RIAA have over you?

Last edited by Smaug (2006-10-19 07:01:11)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6672|New York
Problem im not inclined to say, Because i dont use them. (wink) But its a matter of choice. I dont share, thus avoiding lawsuits in any form.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

When bands/people make a record, they have to borrow huge amounts of money from the record company to pay for it. This hopefully comes back in the sales of records. By downloading their CD's, you're essentially preventing them from being able to make another CD. Of course, this isn't the case with bands/people that are already massive, and have shit loads of money.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6672|New York

ghettoperson wrote:

When bands/people make a record, they have to borrow huge amounts of money from the record company to pay for it. This hopefully comes back in the sales of records. By downloading their CD's, you're essentially preventing them from being able to make another CD. Of course, this isn't the case with bands/people that are already massive, and have shit loads of money.
This is also True.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6530|Canaduhhh.. West Toast

ghettoperson wrote:

lots of smaller bands are getting breaks because of sharing free music on lame sights like myspace... file sharing can help a smaller band spread their music...

maybe we should ban libraries too... they are information sharing at no cost and that hasnt stopped book publishing... bottom line is sharing music hurts nobody except the rich that is why we are hearing all this booohooo'in.. who do you think funds the RIAA?? could it be the music industry? hmmm
Ikarti
Banned - for ever.
+231|6679|Wilmington, DE, US
If I hear enough good songs from a CD that I illegally download I'll most likely buy the CD. It's a consumer tool that helps me weed out those shitty CDs with one decent song on it that the record companies love to produce.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

SuperSlowYo wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

lots of smaller bands are getting breaks because of sharing free music on lame sights like myspace... file sharing can help a smaller band spread their music...

maybe we should ban libraries too... they are information sharing at no cost and that hasnt stopped book publishing... bottom line is sharing music hurts nobody except the rich that is why we are hearing all this booohooo'in.. who do you think funds the RIAA?? could it be the music industry? hmmm
I agree with you, it does help spread their music, but at the same time, if they can't make another album cause they're in too much debt, spreading it didn't help much. I'm with you on the libraries thing though; it's copying copyrighted material, therefore in theory theres no reason why we cant do the same with music. You do have to remember though, authors don't incure anything like the same amount of costs that recording does.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

I thik the RIAA leeched onto to artist and thier role of distrubiton is waning .. so now they need to reinvent themsleves ... like unions they are obselete.
jonsimon
+224|6465

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

I was thinking about this last night, Probably the Xanax talking LOL. But really, Who is this really hurting? OK, so Downloading takes money from Big inflated companies and who? Hollywood and Celebs? But think about it, Doesn't the money go Back into the economy? I mean the extra money is used to Buy say, Baby formula, Food for the kids, Pay Rent, Gas to get to your job. Just maybe the money could be used to pay for an over priced movie ticket once in awhile, or a CD. Yeah, one of the ones with all the parental warnings on it, you know ones that walmart wont carry because After they put the others out of Business, they are now the moral police. Think about it, I'm not condoning anything here, Was just thinking about it by chance.

Thoughts? Debate?
This is a great way to debunk the republican economic policy about tax cuts. If we assume money that is saved is then invested in the economy and strengthens the economy, well, we give the perfect justification for theft of all sorts.

"Sorry officer, I was just saving money on this big screen TV so I could strengthen the economy."

As for downloading, no one should feel sorry for depriving the recording companies of a few pennies. After all, the artists don't see any of it anyway.
bubbass
humble
+61|6539

ghettoperson wrote:

True, but, the record company is making all the money from that. If you want to support your favorite band, go see them live. That's where they make the majority of their money.

Last edited by bubbass (2006-10-19 12:16:51)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

bubbass wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

True, but, the record company is making all the money from that. If you want to support your favorite band, go see them live. That's where they make the majority of their money.
You make a persuasive argument!

You do have to remember though, if everyone is downloading, then they make no sales, meaning that the  record lable won't think it worth while to get them touring. I do agree that the record companies end up with most of the money though.
bubbass
humble
+61|6539

ghettoperson wrote:

bubbass wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

You do have to remember though, if everyone is downloading, then they make no sales, meaning that the  record lable won't think it worth while to get them touring. I do agree that the record companies end up with most of the money though.
I get your point 100%, but if a band is huge already, you know they'll tour and draw in a huge crowd.
SuperSlowYo
slow as you go
+124|6530|Canaduhhh.. West Toast

bubbass wrote:

yeah everyone loves ticketmaster... they hardly gouge the consumer with their obscene service charges
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6713|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

ghettoperson wrote:

bubbass wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I disagree - should the momentum of Internet downloads be apparent to the record company then the band will tour - hence the reason why concert ticket sales are so expensive and then the revenue from merchandise sold at the events more than covers the expense of the production of the material.   they have been saying since the advent of recordable media that it will kill the industry which is just plain bollox as history proves.  Songwriters write songs for people to hear them, and people sing to be heard not just make money.

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-10-19 12:29:17)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6516
How would Lars Ulrich pay for that 3rd mansion and how would he pay the guy that washes his 112 Ferrari's? How would he pay the guy that write his lyrics and the hairdresser that keeps his hair style up-to-date so all the kids think he is cool and don't know he is old enough to be their grandfather?
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
kilgoretrout
+53|6440|Little Rock, AR

SuperSlowYo wrote:

bubbass wrote:

yeah everyone loves ticketmaster... they hardly gouge the consumer with their obscene service charges
But most clubs in the country don't go through ticketmaster.  It is true that bands make most of their money from touring and merch sales, but if a band doesn't sell enough albums, they get dropped from their label.  If they get dropped, they won't have the tour support money that came from their label and won't be able to tour anymore.  Plus,  if a band gets dropped from a label, they won't get paid as much money on tour. 

The fact of the matter is, you're stealing money from bands when you download music and don't buy the album.  You can jusify it however you want, but you're stealing.  That's not to say I don't share music.  I share it with my friends and I'll download songs sometimes to see if an album is worth buying.  If it's worth buying, I will.  If not, you can buy the singles on iTunes and delete the crap that's not worth buying.
bubbass
humble
+61|6539

IG-Calibre wrote:

Songwriters write songs for people to hear them, and people sing to be heard not just make money.
https://img273.imageshack.us/img273/6318/okayut1.jpg
midnitebassist
Countersniper
+11|6499|here
Here's the way I've always looked at it.  I download music.  I won't and can't deny that.  However, I download music to find out if I like the artist.

Example:  Streetlight Manifesto.  One of my buddies played "Everything Goes Numb" for me, and I like the song.  I downloaded it from the official streetlight manifesto website.  however, I wanted to know if I liked the band or just the song.  So Limewire starts up, and I download "A Moment of Silence" and "A Better Place, A Better Time".  I enjoyed both of those songs as well.  I determined that I like Streetlight Manifesto, went out and bought their 2 CDs, and they are now my favorite band.

Same goes with Snow Patrol.  i heard "Chasing Cars" on the radio, downloaded "Chocolate", which I also like, and I now own their CD.  Same thing with The Fray, except I haven't gotten paid yet so I can't get their CD until next week.

What's the point I'm trying to make?  I don't know.  So I'll make this one.  I don't think downloading music should be illegal, but downloading music in bulk probably should, e.g., 50-60 songs a day.
kilgoretrout
+53|6440|Little Rock, AR

IG-Calibre wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

bubbass wrote:

I disagree - should the momentum of Internet downloads be apparent to the record company then the band will tour - hence the reason why concert ticket sales are so expensive and then the revenue from merchandise sold at the events more than covers the expense of the production of the material.   they have been saying since the advent of recordable media that it will kill the industry which is just plain bollox as history proves.  Songwriters write songs for people to hear them, and people sing to be heard not just make money.
Cite an example where a record company has put tour support money behind a band because of illegal internet downloads.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

bubbass wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

bubbass wrote:

I get your point 100%, but if a band is huge already, you know they'll tour and draw in a huge crowd.
Oh, I don't really care about big bands, steal from them as you please, they have more than enough money. Downloading only bothers me when its a new band, with no money.
SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6450|Kentucky
celebs  get enough money  i hate them   lets download

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard