Chou
+737|6792

Bell wrote:

Think the advertising is on billboard's or something?  Soooooo, I doubt many people will notice as there paying attention to the fight rather than the big poster's.  Unless they just flash up on screen any time u get a kill or death lmao.
You cannot avoid looking at these giant billboards
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

True, but I was thinking in the heat of battle, you wouldn't be ogling the billboard's now would you?  See billboard's all day every day, do you read each and everyone?  Certainly hope not if you are in a car!
=CA=lamcrmbem
+16|6452|San Diego, CA
Guys...here is the official explanation from DICE on the BF2142 EA Forums:

Posting on behalf of the Dev Team
--------------------------------
Greetings,

We would like to provide more information on in-game advertising in Battlefield 2142. To try and help everyone better understand it, here is how it works.

The in- game advertisement is respectful of players' privacy: it never accesses files not directly related to the game, and it does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, gameplay behaviour or surfing history. As it is an integrated part of Battlefield 2142 and not a separate program, it only runs when the game is running.

Because BF2142 delivers ads by region, the IP address of the player is used to determine the region of the player and helps serve ads by region and language; for instance, a player in Paris will be presented with ads in French. Note that this IP address is not stored on the advertisement server and is not repurposed for other uses.

A unique ID number is anonymously assigned the first time the player joins a Battlefield 2142 online game. It is stored locally on the PC but is not linked to any personal details.

The in-game advertisement gathers what we call “impression data”, such as location of the billboard in the game or duration of advertisement impression. It
helps see how many people have seen an ad – but not who has seen it.

We are also conscious that the advertisement shouldn’t distract the player from the overall gaming experience, so all ads fit in the unique environment of each level in the game. The content of the ads is also controlled to ensure that no offensive content is displayed in Battlefield 2142.

We all hope that this explanation will address recent concerns on the advertisement in Battlefield 2142.

See you on the Battlefield.

Your Dice Live Team
Hallvard
+262|6524|North Norway

lol, ads you don't notice works bettern then the clearly visible ones... just look at movies, you rarely see the ads, but they are there...

and I can't understand why people still think this is the first game with ads...
slo5oh
+28|6662

=CA=lamcrmbem wrote:

Guys...here is the official explanation from DICE on the BF2142 EA Forums:

Greetings,

Because BF2142 delivers ads by region, the IP address of the player is used to determine the region of the player and helps serve ads by region and language; for instance, a player in Paris will be presented with ads in French. Note that this IP address is not stored on the advertisement server and is not repurposed for other uses.
Am I the first to read this and think BULL SHIT?
It would be easier to change your automated in game ads with the IN GAME choice of LANGUAGE!!!  If you install the game using Swahelie then your in game ads should be in that language.  If you pick chinese, your ads could be in chinese for Sung's fine Cat meat, etc...
Teflonspray
+2|6470

Sgt.Gene wrote:

porsche wrote:

Don't over-react. I have been browsing other forums and they are saying that it is just information needed to display ads in-game.

This is similar to browsing online, with those damn games and stuff in the margins. We'll have to wait and see..
Ya, but the fact of the matter is that it scans your cookies. Cookies are used to store everything. They are not just looking at what sites you have been to, but they are looking at your personal information such as: Credit card #'s, Social Security #'s, and everything else that only you should know.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! You guys are unbelievable!! You'll actually believe anything, as long as it's in some written form on the Internet.

Yeah, and BF2142 will know what you ate for breakfast, if the other kids in your school were mean to you today, and if you're in need of a haircut, so it can determine whether you will be successful in-game, or mostly lying dead on the ground, staring at billboards all the time, adjusting its advertisement accordingly...
LaneLander
+1|6403

Soldier-Of-Wasteland wrote:

manitobapaintballa wrote:

LaneLander wrote:

Me too, Well I paid already.  I just want the game with no crap, not even your stupid assed hey look at what er have now at ea.  Oh and if you click on me I will close the game down and open a web page.  You would think that they would figure out that people can do more that run one program at a time.

LaneLander

Oh I am still calling a lawyer about this.
whats that going to do you got the card saying that if you install the game you are consenting to the ip trace
It's because the card is in the box of the game (or on a file when you install), thus there was no way to know before hand. Knowing such a fact before buying would help. Maybe a notice above the games on the shelves.

Yes lots of us know now because many forums talk about it, but technicaly we only find out once the game has been bought, opened and thus non-refundable.
Well I preordered mine.  they did not inform me prior to ordering either.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6548
It's not spying that concerns me, it's EA's enormous greed and simultaneous decline in the quality of their product.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

Why isn't the product cheaper? Why aren't ranked servers cheaper? If we have to put up with ads for fucking Coke and Nissan 350 Z's, then at least make the game or the servers cheaper. No EA, your putting ads in a video game will probably not sway me to buy the product. I know which Coke I like, I can't afford or drive a car anyways, and I am perfectly fine with the razor and shaving cream I use.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6597|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
as of 17 minutes ago this post was made in the EA main forums by the Dev team

Greetings,

We would like to provide more information on in-game advertising in Battlefield 2142. To try and help everyone better understand it, here is how it works.

The in- game advertisement is respectful of players' privacy: it never accesses files not directly related to the game, and it does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, gameplay behaviour or surfing history. As it is an integrated part of Battlefield 2142 and not a separate program, it only runs when the game is running.

A unique ID number is anonymously assigned the first time the player joins a Battlefield 2142 online game. It is stored locally on the PC but is not linked to any personal details.

The in-game advertisement gathers what we call “impression data”, such as location of the billboard in the game or duration of advertisement impression. It
helps see how many people have seen an ad – but not who has seen it.

We are also conscious that the advertisement shouldn’t distract the player from the overall gaming experience, so all ads fit in the unique environment of each level in the game. The content of the ads is also controlled to ensure that no offensive content is displayed in Battlefield 2142.

We all hope that this explanation will address recent concerns on the advertisement in Battlefield 2142.

See you on the Battlefield.

Your Dice Live Team

Link:
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jsp … dID=133500
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6482|Somewhere else

Hurricane wrote:

Why isn't the product cheaper? Why aren't ranked servers cheaper? If we have to put up with ads for fucking Coke and Nissan 350 Z's, then at least make the game or the servers cheaper. No EA, your putting ads in a video game will probably not sway me to buy the product. I know which Coke I like, I can't afford or drive a car anyways, and I am perfectly fine with the razor and shaving cream I use.
Exactly.
TehWeAz
+3|6405|California/Arizona
Gamespot has an interview with the advertising firm's CEO up - it's an interesting read.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160062.ht … ws;title;1
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6544|Sammamish, WA
I've played the Battlefield series since the Vietnam version and I play a lot. I've also built up gaming networks and clans before as well, so I'm very in touch with the gaming community and their thoughts. Yes, there's always going to be a subset of hardcore gamers that are generally very vocal, but in the minority. What you will find is these people often tend to be champions of the games within their own communities, and therefore they generate the followings.
Wow what a nice ad hominim. If you disagree with him you're a "subset of hardcore gamers that are in the minority." Bull. I also like the completely unsubstantiated remark that he's right because he's "in touch with the gaming community," also completely illogical. So he's in touch with the gaming community 'cause he's played Battlefield games for awhile and founded some gaming networks and clans? That's an invalid argument.

If gamers are to expect a constant flow of high-quality, next-generation games to the marketplace, they have to understand that publishers need to find and develop new revenue streams. In-game advertising is one of those new revenue streams, therefore it's only good for the industry on the whole.
Computer games have been published for over 25 years now and none of them has had in-game advertising yet. I would argue that huge-budget games are self-reinforcing and that gaming companies falsely believe that quantity of dollars spent = quality of game. Games of arguably higher quality than BF2 and, probably BF2142, have been made for many many years on only a fraction of the budget I'm sure EA tosses around. You don't need tons of money to produce a high-quality game.

Let's go down the list...X-COM, MOO2, System Shock 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Doom, Quake, SimCity, Command and Conquer, GalCiv2...there's a short list of phenomenally high-quality games that were done low-budget...and I don't buy this "higher complexity necessitates bigger budget" crap. You don't need fantastic voice actors, a big-name game engine, and a multimillion-dollar ad campaign to have a quality game. You need a quality dev team and a quality publisher. Just look at Stardock and GalCiv2.
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6626
^^^^^^^^
I agree.

Also to have it in the game box without prior knowledge really gets me. I feel like just returning the game on this fact!
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6544|Sammamish, WA

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

^^^^^^^^
I agree.

Also to have it in the game box without prior knowledge really gets me. I feel like just returning the game on this fact!
Well the in-game advertising has been something they've talked about for months now. I started a thread on it awhile back but didn't get much reaction.
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6488|Melbourne

If it has Advertising in it then i am not buying it, why should you the consumer pay 100$ to see 50 adds in your play time?  You pay for a game, not an advertising campaign...
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
beerface702
+65|6695|las vegas

dubbs wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

It's not against the law as you agree to it when you install the game. It says right there.

If there was a hack to uninstall the advertisement scanner though, I'd pay for it. This definetly makes 2142 less appealing to me =/
It is agaist the law, because you paided $50 for the game without a warning telling you, that you will have to agree to installing spyware on your computer.  If you take the game back to the store, you would not get your full $50 back would you?  Do you think that EA will give you your $50 back if you call them telling them you do not agree with the EULA and want your money back?
i return games all the time

shrink wrapper baby!!

and a xacto knife, the knobs at best buy and Wally world never catch on.. been doin it for years

but ya this is bullcrap. although not true spyware, i just dont like the idea of ads in my game, and im sure it hurts game performance a bit.

what ever happned to just throwing ad cards in with the game box like the good ole days?

more reason to play QW

Last edited by beerface702 (2006-10-19 03:30:37)

seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6597|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
did anyone even bother reading my post?
ECH
+50|6645|Some where near you
word has it that not many people are playing BF2142 is this true?
Plenty of servers not enough players...

Last edited by ECH (2006-10-19 08:55:30)

golgoj4
+51|6776|North Hollywood

lavadisk wrote:

Ok, look. After a dice employe joined a disscussion at totalbf2142 he said that IT WOULDNT SEE ANYTHING OTHER THEN WHEN/HOW LONG you look at the ad. im not getting into an argument because if your ignorant well, so be it.
so taking corporate statements @ face value makes you what?
ECH
+50|6645|Some where near you
wow look at the number of copies on ebay
http://tinyurl.com/y2sqmh]

Last edited by ECH (2006-10-19 09:01:57)

golgoj4
+51|6776|North Hollywood
I'm thinking EA has enough lawyers on payroll that if it was illegal, they would have been told so. If it is illegal, we'll find out soon enough.
Im sure nixon had lawyers too. And Ken Lay. And every other power drunk asshole who thought he could get away with it. Just because you have legal advice doesnt mean you will follow it.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker
I played for 3 1/2 hours and didn't see a single ad on my retail version.  Big deal, buy the game. It runs smooth and it's 10 times the fun and 10 times the features of BF2.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6742
https://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8249/igavy2li0.jpg

LOL I'm reassured.
Zapata1982
+4|6674|Los Angeles, KALIFoooNIaaa
I like the "Do Not install or play the software in any platform that is used to connect to the internet"
the WTF is the point to buying the game??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard