WiBu
+14|6649
I couldnt agree me on the infrantry points. It just feels wrong, like DICE are purposely trying to annoy people.
AmbassadorofPain
+34|6650|Devil's Perch

jord wrote:

I read it all but there is just one thing i don't understand.

Why is everyone getting their nipples in a twist over the ads?I mean,if you were the sales director or whatever at EA wouldn't you wan't to make money?I know i would.Companys need to make money,EA is no exeption.
Dude, all other companies (and EA, too, in the past) got back the money they spent on development and stuff the traditional way: people paid for the final product and most of them still didn't go bankrupt as long as they delievered solid products that people enjoyed.
Ads would be acceptable if the game in exchange would be offered (a lot, as ads will be dynamic and therefore a source of CONSTANT INCOME for EA) cheaper, but it is not, at least not over here. All stores I checked so far have expected retail prices that are 5 to 10 EUR above the usual retail price for just released computer games.

Adding up the experiences most of us made with BF2 and the situation described above and the impressions we gathered in beta and demo, this could actually turn against EA and DICE with the latter ones being closed down completely sooner or later.
Proud member of a dead community.
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6577|Finland
I am going to get BF2142 cause I am so tired with BF2 and the patches and stuff.
AmbassadorofPain
+34|6650|Devil's Perch

Jussimies wrote:

I am going to get BF2142 cause I am so tired with BF2 and the patches and stuff.
I understand that one's tired and fed up with BF2 as a whole, but if you're sick of the patches and stuff, you should avoid 2142. There's virtually no indication its patch history will be any better than that of BF2.
Proud member of a dead community.
lendll
+16|6425
Honestly, I played the demo for about 40 minutes, and didn't see ONE ad, LMAO. No, HONESTLY.

Bf2142 is an alright game, but I've played bf2, and once I get the "newness" feeling detached from bf2142, I think I'll be going right back to bf2. Why? Several reasons. Number one: Like the op said, bf2 seems to be the more "serious" game, as in you have to hunker down and get your mind into the game to win. Number two: Scale. BF2142, at least the demo map I played, seems like a zoomed up version of mech warrior. Things in the map are just too big, like the ground you walk on, or the sky, etc. So you're actually seeing less of the world in the map. In BF2, things are MUCH smaller imo--soldiers, cars, helicopters, sky, ground. So there's a LOT more "things" on the screen, and it all fits together very coherently. The end result, imo? While bf2's "appearance" might seem smaller, the WHOLE maps your in are much more engrossing, as you see a "small(er than bf2142)" sky that goes on forever, etc etc.

Not sure if I explained this correctly, but these are my impressions of both games.

Also, "air superiority" creating unbalanced gameplay in bf2? I admit I don't play on much servers to sample how bf2's gameplay is in general, but in my experience, aircrafts serve their role, and that's it. Being that their role is death from above, of course they're going to seem overpowering. But imo that's what makes bf2 special. "Here I am, on the ground fighting mortal and equal soldiers," while I HAVE to haul ass when I see an airplane coming for the win. In bf2142, aircrafts are just as special as, well, SOLDIERS! They don't play a special role any more. IMO.

IMO.

*edit* I think I should add the nice things about bf2142, lol. Well for one, my fps was AMAZING. Seemed like 100+ SMOOTH fps for 50% of the game, which is outstanding imo. Another thing is the sound. When the walker was walking up to my area, I was like "WTF!!! IS IT 100 MILES TALL?!?! WHERE IS IT??????"" It just sounded sooooo big, filling the whole air around me with sound. Only thing was, I kept looking on the right, and the walker was coming from the left, LMAO. gg bug. Another thing that was l33t was how far-off explosions sounded. Well, just how I described everything being scaled up from bf2 to bf2142? The explosions and gunfights far-off was made to sound proportionately, which sounds really phat.  I can't remember what else was exciting about bf2142. Just the sound subsystem made great use of my dt770's soundstage; in a way better than bf2? Nah, just differently:p

The demo is worth dl'n=0

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-06 17:23:47)

iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6538
You forgot to mention how it has the same bugs as BF2.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Jussimies
Finnish commander whore
+76|6577|Finland

AmbassadorofPain wrote:

Jussimies wrote:

I understand that one's tired and fed up with BF2 as a whole, but if you're sick of the patches and stuff, you should avoid 2142. There's virtually no indication its patch history will be any better than that of BF2.
Well yeah I know, but there is at least a week with patch 1.0000 and My moms boyfrend is wealthy so he buys it to me.
USARANGER01
+35|6640|America
heheheheheh i REALLY hope EA and DICE read this
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6713|California

Vunerable to C4. The game doesnt even have C4 yet.
-=5TON3D
+42|6527|u.k
i agree with everything in your review.
infantry movement is the main & most used aspect of a game,so it should'nt be like it is & feel sluggish slow,shit spray & prey accuracy.only good point is getting knife tags.

whole game to me feels very arcade style/skilless,nothing like bf2 at all.

funniest things ive had happen is my mec's legs freeze & just slide along the road with no amination to it.
a few rounds later it just colapsed like it couldnt be arsed to live anymore,with the headpart facing the floor so me & my mate could'nt shoot at anything or walk,it had'nt took any damage cause there was only a few of us on the server testing stuff out.

i know its only a demo,but like previously stated by someone its supposed to be a showcase of what to expect as a final release,but it just feels cheap,nasty,noob friendly & constantly loses connection or logs you out completely.

it sucks.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

In reply, (to some of what you wrote - I only responded to things I had a hand in.)

The Mech:

Yeah, I know, I tried to tell them that the thing had a fucking huge blindspot and was a piece of piss to take out. The one good thing about it is it recovers from EMP very quickly, which makes it slightly less of a sitting duck. Maybe someone can tell me as I havn't played the demo - did Dice/EA take my suggestion and add an obvious head-in-relation-to-legs direction indicator. They better have, I was harping on about that for ages.

The Future APC:

I apologise, I take the blame for the powerful grenades. In the 'alpha', (e.g 'full' version Beta,) the nerfed them INCREDIBLY from the initial Beta, I told hem to knock it up a notch. In EA speak this translates as "MAKE UBER POWERFUL!"

The base defense railgun:

In the initial Beta these things ruled. I love them, they're my favourite thing to use in the game, but I realised they were too powerful. They no longer hurt aircraft as much, (they used to almost take them out in one hit,) and they don't destroy the jeep-thins in one go lik they used to, (well they do, but they give you  chance to get out.) I think the're well balanced, but yeah, if you have the skill they can be a nice alternative to a sniper rifle.

The server browser:

Woohoo! I played a part in improving that!

Titan mode:

I'm pissed of thy havn't fixed the moving titan lag issue. I told them if it wasn't ready then they should fucking delay the release. Meh, what are ya gonna do. You'll find though, that camping hallways is a lot less effective when people get unlocks such as grenades, smoke grenades and active camo. Wait for the full version for this one.

The titan itself:

You repair the Titan guns by using te blowtorch on the titan consols which you see when you spawn on the titans, (where you press 'e' to us the guns.)

The map design:

I've played a lot of the maps - not all of them because my high NZ ping meant I couldn't join many multiplayer games so I mostly had to settle fo single player. I have to say though - wait for the full version. There are some fucking awesome ones out there, there's one which name escapes me, but it takes place in a shipping area in Arfica. It's raining and there are all these weird walkways and junk. The close quarters maps don't have killing grounds as Karkand does, but yeah, I'm sure people will find a favourite and become "whatevermap"-whores.

The inexcusable:

Like I said, I told them to delay it if they hadn't un Bf2-bug-erised it. They tend to ignore things which make them delay stuff. I still don't like the idea of advertising, especially if it dosn't benefit us, the gamers.

Summary:

The Demo is bullcrap. The game dosn't work if you don't get unlocks, which can be seen as a flaw. Unfortunatly the Demo will loose more potential customers then gain them because of the hasty "we must keep people thinking about us" psyche which causes EA/Dice to bring out unfinished stuff.
The game as it stands is good, but certainly not excellent. The full version will bring in some awesome maps, which will definatly improve the gameplay, as will having unlocks, (believe me, I've tried every single unlock.)

If you're still intrigued or undecided about 2142, then I say buy it. However I do not begrudge anyone who's had a gutsful of Battlefield and chooses not to bother.

- Ty
(BF2142 Alpha testing team member.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lendll
+16|6425
I just played Songhua* stalemate(First bf2 map since bf2142 demo). To be honest, bf2142 feels like a BETA to the whole battlefield *concept.* I do know, however, that it was onlyyy one map and it was onlyyy just a demo. But keep in mind, bf2's demo was 80% the quality of the whole game, the other 20% is the slight variations of gameplay you get from different maps. I'm sorta doubting if I'll buy bf2142 after all. It's sorta like how I feel towards q4. I bought it, it was good for a game and all, but in the end, I gave it away, knowing that quake 2 had everything I'll ever want(ed) in the series, despite its near decade old population. Ya feel me?:]

*spelling?

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-06 16:57:33)

JovesApples
+4|6446|USA
if your sluggish in game, try taking off your heavy armor...

very cool addition, all classes can opt heavy armor, but you will be more sluggish and have a shorter sprint

until later i guess when you unlock other things
{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6737|The Island of Carls Jr.
So you think that the infantry combat sucks because you cant be a n00b and bunny-hop or any othher movement retardant techinique? Thats sad.
lendll
+16|6425

{TL}SHARPSHOOTER wrote:

So you think that the infantry combat sucks because you cant be a n00b and bunny-hop or any othher movement retardant techinique? Thats sad.
tbh, that's like some newb street fighter telling a black belt "f@gg0t a$$, y the f*ck you doin' back flip round houses on me, don't you know that's newb!!"'

Funny thing too is, even in old ass games where people who think they're "too good" to be killed by "lesser skilled" opponents, they try to invalidate the way the "newb" killed them. It sort of "evens" the balance of skill (=  "I'm better than you, so the ONLY way you killed me was by some retarded, illegal technique!!")

Not to flame, but that's exactly what it is imo=]

*edit* maybe u was being sarcastic:D

Last edited by lendll (2006-10-06 16:55:40)

{TL}SHARPSHOOTER
Vacuum Sealed for Freshness
+26|6737|The Island of Carls Jr.
I wasnt. I just liked Bf2 before idiots started getting seizure/fish outta water/retard dances.
I bought BF2 to play realistic shooting games, Ive played enough games like Halo or AVP2 with bunny hopping retards in the way.
lendll
+16|6425

{TL}SHARPSHOOTER wrote:

I bought BF2 to play realistic shooting games, Ive played enough games like Halo or AVP2 with bunny hopping retards in the way.
I see your point. But bf2 wasn't made to be uber realistic eh? That's where the trouble come in: some people like
the game as is, and some people want another game in what's already made. Who wins and gets what they want?

What a moral dillemma:/
clssfdlogic
+0|6803|Uijeongbu, South Korea

jord wrote:

I read it all but there is just one thing i don't understand.

Why is everyone getting their nipples in a twist over the ads?I mean,if you were the sales director or whatever at EA wouldn't you wan't to make money?I know i would.Companys need to make money,EA is no exeption.
The problem is they are making money.  Fifty dollars for each license sold.  And, their expenses for publishing the game are even lower with people downloading the entire game.  No boxing/manual/shipping costs. 

They are making money.  They're just getting greedy and adding to their profits while detracting from the overall game experience.
Master*
Banned
+416|6487|United States

WiBu wrote:

I couldnt agree me on the infrantry points. It just feels wrong, like DICE are purposely trying to annoy people.
no its the complainers in bf2 about all the bunnyhoppers and proners, they decided to totally nerf infantry in 2142 thanks to all complainers saying "hey thats not fair he slams his body straight to the floor and kills me". personally i hate what they did to the infantry, im an avid infantry player and this is a shame to me.
1.4 was a shame, infantry wise to me also.

complainers like this

{TL}SHARPSHOOTER wrote:

I wasnt. I just liked Bf2 before idiots started getting seizure/fish outta water/retard dances.

Last edited by Masterstyle (2006-10-06 18:13:20)

Arkanon
+3|6688|London, UK
So EA have basically paid DICE to create another Special Forces. So it'll have about a tenth the number of active servers that BF2 has at any one time. And fewer people will need to buy it, because it won't add any unlocks to BF2.

And dynamic video ads? What the fuck were they thinking? That lame-ass product placement bullshit is fodder for console fanboys, not a PC audience that has its curve peak in the 20+ age range.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

GJ, now I'll have to try it out for myself.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mad Ad
+178|6503|England, UK
my review of 2142 can be summed up in 2 words.......its horrible
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6836|Bryan/College Station, TX
There is still not a VOIP option to speak with those in your vehicle.
Only one of the most requested additions asked for by the players of BF2.
No excuse for this.

Let me add one thing. The game will really change quite a bit once the unlocks are available. I have a feeling.

Last edited by kilroy0097 (2006-10-06 19:20:36)

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6538

Ty wrote:

In reply, (to some of what you wrote - I only responded to things I had a hand in.)

The Mech:

.... Maybe someone can tell me as I havn't played the demo - did Dice/EA take my suggestion and add an obvious head-in-relation-to-legs direction indicator. They better have, I was harping on about that for ages.
They did, but it's just a tiny transparent ^ symbol on the HUD. It took me a few times to even notice it was there and what it was.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
PlaneWhore
+59|6758
I'm not sure why people think unlocks are suddenly going to make the game amazing. As I said I played the beta quite a bit and I have a full set of unlocks and really everyone in the beta was using the same loadout of items. It didn't resolve any of the issues that my initial post highlighted and all it did was give you a couple gizmos that IMO didn't ad that much to the gameplay. The game is certainly better when you've got a proper infantry loadout but not by that much.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard