Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK
Ingame Calibration Guide

It amazes me when im a bomber gunner how many people wander across the runway on takeoff, because I know that person has not calibrated his joystick deadzones. Same with the chopper, if you get in it and it steers to the right (or left) without you doing anything then you really need to set them up. All it takes is rebooting bf2 a few times.

I have a logitech extreme 3d pro and had to fight the damn thing on takeoff, and doing things like a simple loop would throw me out at different angles than when I went in. This is how I fixed the problem, it made me a much better pilot.

This is not just for logitech users, Saitek also have deadzone settings, if what I read is right thats set in the control panel/game controllers somewhere?  Either way, this will work for any stick as long as you can find the dead zone settings.

First off, logitech people need to install the profiler
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downl … areid=5439

Fire it up, check you have the correct device selected, then go to Select A Game, then create new profile.  Put in Default as a name, and then browse to your notepad (C:\WINDOWS\Notepad.exe).  Press ok.

Open bf2 and search for an empty server with planes (I chose MEC on oman, theres no hangar to obscure anything) go to the airfield, set your throttle to exactly middle (so you dont fly off or back), jump in one of the planes, make sure your not moving then switch to F10 view mode.

We are looking at the flaps on your wings (which is left/right, or axis x), your tail flaps (back/forward or axis y) and rudder flaps (twist or axis z)

Watch the screen and pull back and forward really roughly but dont just see tailflap move up and down, look for movement in the wing flaps and rudder too. If you see the slightest movement, that will mean you are not fully in control in the air so note which one is moving when it should not be.  Then do the same side to side, be hard with it and see if the rudder or tailflaps move. Lastly twist the rudder back and forth and see if that affects the tail or wingflaps.

Once you have seen which ones need setting (probably all of them if your stick is as shagged as mine), quit out of bf2 and on the profiler you will see x-axis, y-axis etc in the lower left, click on and chose axis properties - here you can set how much deadzone to give each axis. Move the slider along as much as you think (10%, maybe 15% on each axis, its up to you) and then go back and boot bf2 again, back to a plane, F10 and do it all over again, until no other flaps move when the one your pushing is moving.

Dont be afraid of big values, thanks to crappy logitech design I've got 30% on my rudder (which sounds a lot, but its really not) and 18%/19% on my X/Y and its rock solid in the air now.

Thats it, just remember to run the profiler before you join a server and take it easy on me if you ever get on my six!!

hth

Last edited by Mad Ad (2006-10-23 04:33:20)

pure_beef_69
Banned
+186|6657
I will give you +1 even tho i havent read it
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6556
Nice work! Too bad there are no drivers for my Microsoft Sidewinder 3d Pro - so I have to live with the fact that I can't take off in a straight line

Last edited by Ducksteina (2006-09-23 14:58:48)

ToiletTrooper
+25|6785|WC

pure_beef_69 wrote:

I will give you +1 even tho i havent read it
lol
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6784
I have tried this repeatedly with my logitech wingman pro 3d, setting the deadzones as high as 50 percent, and it still doesn't work.  I have been led to understand it is either an XP issue or dx9 issue that causes the deadzone setting to not be supported if the game doesn't support them.  I have tried exactly as you desvribed with still no joy.  Any ideas?  I would love for it work but can't seem to get it
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6660
good job..i use keyboard tho
Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK
Ducksteina - are you sure theres nothing in the original s/w that came with the stick?

{USI}_Zombie -  do you run the profiler before opening the game? It wont work without running at the same time. And when you check the axis properties the deadzone values are still there? Its a good move using a high value, youd see straight away if/when it works - rather than 50% try 95%, Otherwise you could try http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downl … areid=5484 before you install the profiler- supposed to clear out your old settings, I used it but have no idea how useful it is as i didnt have a problem.
CrazeD
+368|6683|Maine
Awesome! I have the same stick as you, and it is a tad worn down. I have a warranty on it and I think I might use it soon. A few of the buttons are starting to...."not work" as well as they once did. I've crashed several times cause I couldn't get my view back to cockpit lol.
{USI}_Zombie
+11|6784

Mad Ad wrote:

Ducksteina - are you sure theres nothing in the original s/w that came with the stick?

{USI}_Zombie -  do you run the profiler before opening the game? It wont work without running at the same time. And when you check the axis properties the deadzone values are still there? Its a good move using a high value, youd see straight away if/when it works - rather than 50% try 95%, Otherwise you could try http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downl … areid=5484 before you install the profiler- supposed to clear out your old settings, I used it but have no idea how useful it is as i didnt have a problem.
Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you  know
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6556

Mad Ad wrote:

My joystick was designed for Windows 95. There are no drivers for XP - it just works with Plug & Play. But I'm just too poor to buy a new joystick and I love it anyway. A bit damaged, but still more than I'll ever want.
duckforceone
+3|6734|Denmark
having the same for my joystick... using a trust gm-2600 (qz-501 predator) and it doesn't have anything but plug and play... and i have a very annoying z axis twist as standard, and also, i cannot get the throttle to 0 very easily...

so i have to not fly currently..
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6464|USA
I use a saitek x52, I swear when I first bought it and got the newest drivers and rebooted, it fealt as though it had a massive deadzone, I don't feal it anymore though
Whenever I take off in the bomber, I usually go across the runway (on usmc on kubra dam at least) just because of baserapers

Although some people do like to mess around though   I love weaving back and forth whenever i fly a heli really low to the ground just to show off

Last edited by elite.mafia (2006-09-25 09:05:58)

Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK

Ducksteina wrote:

My joystick was designed for Windows 95. There are no drivers for XP - it just works with Plug & Play. But I'm just too poor to buy a new joystick and I love it anyway. A bit damaged, but still more than I'll ever want.
Yes, now ive dug out my old sidewinder disk I can see the problem, I meant the software that set the deadzone not the driver, however I can see now M$ put their profiler on one of the driver tabs rather than seperately - thats useless of them.

I suppose you have tried this?
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/ … XTweak.exe

readme
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/ … Readme.txt

not sure if it will work, does bf2 use directx for joystick routines? if not then it probably wont but it shouldnt hurt to try.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6816|The planet Tophet
i got an X-52 by saitek and it works great
Ducksteina
Choleric groundpounder
+42|6556

Mad Ad wrote:

Ducksteina wrote:

Yes, now ive dug out my old sidewinder disk I can see the problem, I meant the software that set the deadzone not the driver, however I can see now M$ put their profiler on one of the driver tabs rather than seperately - thats useless of them.

I suppose you have tried this?
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/ … XTweak.exe

readme
http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/ … Readme.txt

not sure if it will work, does bf2 use directx for joystick routines? if not then it probably wont but it shouldnt hurt to try.
Hmm, thanks for the links, but the tool doesn't seem to work for me. Well, I don't play BF2 that often anyway, so I'll just live with it.
jkohlc
2142th Whore
+214|6537|Singapore
this shood be featured
Shadow893
lel
+75|6702|England

jkohlc wrote:

this shood be featured
or......................not
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6409|6 feet under
Thanks I haven't yet tried it out but it sounds like it'll work. sry i can't give you karm cause i would
reefl3x
+72|6412|United States
THANK YOU!
I have the same joystick as you and I could never figure out what my deadzone should be. The darn j10 leans to the right on take off! drives me nuts...+1!!!!!!!!
reefl3x
+72|6412|United States
Rudder is "Twist" right?
Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK
yes
Shadow893
lel
+75|6702|England

Shadow893 wrote:

jkohlc wrote:

this shood be featured
or......................not
WOW - I'm a real jackass - Just re-read this topic and it should be a featured topic.
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6569|The real world
Or you could just calibrate it from windows, something that is 120 times more easy
Mad Ad
+178|6521|England, UK
no thats not the same, it doesnt work like that
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6816|The planet Tophet
ok it works great for bf2 but for flight sim it always messes up idk what to do

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard