As i've said before i hate to sound like a whiny, bitching noob, but i'm getting a little discouraged with the game. i like playing it and all, but i'm doing terrible so far (just look at my stats: http://bf2s.com/player/69780496/) what i really hate is that to get any points i have to be a commander whore or a vehicle whore. and those of you that say that i should quit and find another game shut the fuck up! maybe someone could give me advice though?
Rizen_Ji
+41|6737|200m out and smiling at you.
uhhh don't spray and pray.

try to stay at a range and learn to aim.
how about staying somewhat distanced and scope and shoot in single shot... it looks to me you do a lot of shooting aimlessly or shooting at walls or the air for no apparent reason...
but yea.... uhhhh learn to aim first then we'll talk...
oberst_enzian
+234|6744|melb.au
looking at your stats, i that you only have just under 25 hours. so, don't get discouraged yet - it just takes a little while to get your skills up, to get to used to the various weapons and their 'sweetspots' re: aiming and so on. i seriously doubt that anyone else was that much better than your stats seem to suggest when they had so little time in the game.

but yeah, Rizen_Ji's advice is sound: learn to aim single shots and/or short bursts and never use full auto except at point blank range. the other important advice is to always shoot prone and crouch to shoot, and always use cover.

there are also much more indepth guides on this forum, if you look for them.

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-07-27 21:06:27)

is the veteran commander badge bad or good?
Chuckles
+32|6549
Once you get the maps down it will be a lot better too.  If you're lost on a map like Karkand or Sharqi that the rest of us know like the back of our hands you're gonna be screwed. 

If you're just concerned about racking up points start on city maps and play as medic or support for a while until you figure out how things are laid out and how people move about the map.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
Hey neg, check your PM my friend
topthrill05
+125|6579|Rochester NY USA
Karkand is a bad place to start. To many people know that map way better than you. I just don't play it anymore and now look at my stats.
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6745|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Get Out Of Karkand And Play Normal Rotation Servers
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6711
You really need to play more.  Put more time into the game every week.  I did not start to see a real increase in my stats until I had twice as many hours as you and If I don't keep playing on a regular basis I lose my edge over other players.  Gaming in general takes practice to be good at it.  Many of the forum members here have more than 1,000 hours playing to your 25.  Play in squads and try to learn from other players.  Learn the layout of the maps and how to use the enviorment to your advantage.  Use the Search button here on the forum to find tips for particular parts of the game.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  Just like most everything else in life you get more out when you put more effort in.
Defiance
+438|6673

Play for longer then 24 hours?

I have insane ammounts of FPS experience and it took me longer then that to get used to all of the aspects of BF2.

I'm just now learning the secrets of tank dodging...
aLi3nZ
+138|6508|New Zealand
i think you're right about that map thing.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6754
place your shots, I suggest you to play as assault for a while and get used to weapons. Then switch to medic.
a_rabid_std
+16|6604|Arkansas
ok not to be a bad guy or anything but your kill/death ratio and accuracy are terrible...  try shooting more from the prone position ( i mapped mine close to my direction arrows so i can control it with the same hand *pinky fingers* and work on taking a sec to aim..  aim towards upper body/head if you can pull it off... what is your resolution on your video card? what you see can make a difference... even if you're on medium settings try moving your distance up to 100%.    dont sit still long either... play in squads.. that way there's people getting your back or that can revive you if you go down...    hope it helped!
elmo1337
Banned
+186|6561|The real world

negatorynosirnowayman wrote:

As i've said before i hate to sound like a whiny, bitching noob, but i'm getting a little discouraged with the game. i like playing it and all, but i'm doing terrible so far (just look at my stats: http://bf2s.com/player/69780496/) what i really hate is that to get any points i have to be a commander whore or a vehicle whore. and those of you that say that i should quit and find another game shut the fuck up! maybe someone could give me advice though?
try finding a guy who would like piloting you around, get on a sharqi server mec side, whore the hell out of the other team, thats what I used to get my k.d back to one
MrE`158
+103|6625
I'm gonna repeat what some of the others have said here, but it's all good info and worth listening to.

The big problem with your stats appears to be your accuracy.  Once you get that up, you'll get your k/d ratio up.  Your SPM is actually pretty good for someone with your number of hours.

Anyway, the above points are important.  Play Assault, Medic and maybe Spec-Ops, and learn to fight at range using controlled amounts of fire.  If your weapon is set to full-auto, you have to control it very carefully, with very short bursts of 3 or so rounds.  Letting rip on full auto is only for when you come around a corner and are literally face-to-face with someone.

Don't get disillusioned yet.  You're still new to the game, really.  If you're still doing as badly with 100 hours under your belt, then you may want to review...

And definitely get off Karkand.  It's not a good place to learn the game, as it's such a crap-shoot.  So many Karkand maps are over-run with spawn-camping tanks and people spamming grenades and claymores that it's a miracle anyone gets anything done.

Better maps to learn on are Mashtuur and Sharqi, which are both primarily infantry maps, but are a little bit more open, allowing for longer-ranged firefights (Mashtuur is especially good for this).  Getting used to these maps involves getting in the habit of moving constantly while using your weapon (which is why you should be playing Assault/Medic/Spec-Ops for this, they have the best weapons for running and gunning).

The best way of getting better is to learn to be aware of your surroundings.  Move the mouse constantly, you have to be continually scanning the area for enemies.  Never forget to check your mini-map regularly.  The advantage of knowing an enemy is around a corner is priceless, and generally, if he doesn't know you're coming, you'll pick up a kill.

Lastly, try and meet up with more experienced players who are willing to help you out.  This is obviously easiest if you have a mate in the real world who plays, but you can also find random strangers who'll help you out.  Use VOIP.  If you can get a mentor to follow you around as a medic, giving you hints and tips as you go along, while watching your back, you'll learn a hell of a lot.  You'll also find that playing in a good squad is about a million times better than not.  Half your time is as Lonewolf, you gotta quit that.  Join squads!  In fact, if you see a squad where everyone has the same tags, ask if they mind you joining the squad and tagging along.  (Do ask, though. Sometimes clan-squads don't like others joining up.)

Don't give in yet, whatever you do!  Once you get in the swing of things, your stats'll take a turn for the better.  More importantly, though, once you are the one doing the ass-kicking, you'll have more fun

Good luck!
Billy_aKa_Dr_GonZo
+5|6623|UK
like most guys here i come from CS Source and was in a clang 4 that and going from that 2 this was just as hard.  look at what every 1 has said they all make lots of sence.  Again learn the maps learn the guns and how to use the gun in the best way.  For example close range combat automatic (depending on the gun of course) long range switch to single shot makes the chance of a kill alot more likely.

Also try to find a rank that u like to play and wk on that 2 begin with
Wow, i went on sharqi and kept capping the same flag over and over again. that was a really good idea. it was kind of empty, and there was less combat than on karkand, but it wasn't bad.
aLi3nZ
+138|6508|New Zealand
What kind of mouse are you using? That accuracy just doesn't seem right tbh.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6752

negatorynosirnowayman wrote:

advice...say YES to violence
Capt. Foley
+155|6589|Allentown, PA, USA
It took me around 300h to get good at BF2(I got my KD ratio over 1 at around 100h though). But if you start out bad its hard as hell to get your stats back up. Especialy in my case where I was always flying choppers with a FPS of like 10 and it was amazedment to me that I was actualy killing more then I died. I say start a new account and just keep trying. Use viechals, their there for a reason, use them. I would say start a new account though cause it will be hard to pulll up that KD ratio.
FrowG
+0|6484
Didnt have time to read through all the responses.....so sorry if I repeat what has already been said. First off, you need to set up your controls. Once you have a good set up stick with it and dont change a thing. Next  off is KNOW what you want to do. Dont just run around aimlessly and wait to find someone or have them find you. If you are going to cap a flag dont just sit there and wait for it to cap.....move around, listen for any noise and keep moving. If you get into a fire fight use your surrounding for cover or as a means of making them think about what you are doing. You will find most ppl dont have a clue as to what to do when you "juke" them by turning away and then suddenly come back and fire a few into them. One of my habits is to lay a few medic bags before going into an area where enemies are and coming back to health up either after or during the fight. Also conserve your ammo, if you dont have a good shot , dont unload your clip let them unload theirs and go in for the kill. All of this takes time and practice, but it sure is worth the trouble.  My best piece of advice is to have a plan, learn the spawn points when capping a flag and keep moving . GLHF
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6657|Land of the Very Cold
Might have been said, but don't empty a magazine on an enemy. Use burst or 3-4 bullets at a time, this way the weapons will be more stable an easier to keep it aimed at the enemy. Don't hesitate to reload when you have a chance, even if you have 10 bullets left in a magazine.

You will improve your accuracy alot this way, and being more accurate means more effective, more effective = more kills.

18-20% accuracy (overall) is very good, and over 24-25% it is excellent.
At 10%, 1 out of every 10 bullets hit the target.
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6623|Gold coast, Aus.
Do not get discouraged. I only jsut started getting reasonably good at 500 hours of play time. 500 reakin hours. I'm nearly at 700 now and I can see my time paying off. here is teh BF2 food chain

Incredible players
    pwn
mediocre players
    pwn
noob players
    pwn
just started players <<<< you are here.

Sooner or later you will be at the top of the food chain. Its just how it works
FrowG
+0|6484

Soldier-Of-Wasteland wrote:

Might have been said, but don't empty a magazine on an enemy. Use burst or 3-4 bullets at a time, this way the weapons will be more stable an easier to keep it aimed at the enemy. Don't hesitate to reload when you have a chance, even if you have 10 bullets left in a magazine.

You will improve your accuracy alot this way, and being more accurate means more effective, more effective = more kills.

18-20% accuracy (overall) is very good, and over 24-25% it is excellent.
At 10%, 1 out of every 10 bullets hit the target.
I actually reload after EVERY engagement. Its not like you're paying for the bullets.

Last edited by FrowG (2006-07-28 23:11:10)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard