Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6685
First some background.

There is this guy at my work who is a physics geek and was the valedictorian of our high school. I'm pretty cool
with him. However, he is an idiot in that he totally underestimates my intelligence and physics ability.

He bet me a month's salary that I couldn't build a perpetual motion machine by September 1st.

It should be easy, but what are some sites to get me started? I did a google search and basically only got sites on the history of people building these machines throughout history, but no in-depth guides or anything.
mgjunner
Banned
+11|6573
meh not as good as some of your previous ones
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6799|San Antonio, Texas
Perpetual motion machines are not possible because of a little thing called friction.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6831|Jupiter
Google ftw?
I did a google search also, there is more to be found.

Last edited by (EUS)Gen.BadSnipaDay (2006-07-23 20:29:19)

Brasso
+1,549|6669

What's a perpetual motion machine?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6831|Jupiter

haffeysucks wrote:

What's a perpetual motion machine?
Google ftw?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6724|United States of America
My 7th grade science teacher had a running offer that anybody to build a working perpetual motion machine would get an A for the year. The only problem with building one is that you have to obey the laws of thermodynamics!
The_Mob_Returns
+72|6761|Indianapolis, IN
Let me quote from this website:
http://www.kilty.com/pmotion.htm

I thought to explain that there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine,....
Good luck trying to build one.

Edit:
Another good line from that website:
What is perpetual motion?
The general public sees perpetual motion inexactly. Probably they view each machine as a special case. The physicist or engineer, on the other hand, is very precise and classifies perpetual motion machines according to which law of thermodynamics they violate.

Last edited by The_Mob_Returns (2006-07-23 20:35:01)

mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6755|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
FYI perpetual motion machines defy the laws of physics.
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6831|Jupiter
Also, search "free energy" in google for some good tips.
Find a good school supply site, usually you can find a free energy kit for about 30$ that uses magnets.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6685
So my best bet is to use magnets?
The_Mob_Returns
You can't build a true prepetual motion machine.  Anything you build will be a fake.  These machines violate the LAWS of thermodynamics.  Read the article I linked to earlier.  Quite interesting.
arson
+99|6675|New York
Get ready to pay up.
The_Mob_Returns
Wow, I wish I was your coworker.  That was a brilliant idea.
l0ser
+5|6537

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

However, he is an idiot in that he totally underestimates my intelligence and physics ability.
huh...
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6746|67.222.138.85
Yeah, I'm sorry, it's impossible. If there was a finite amount of starting energy, and no energy added, what ever you make would stop eventually. Sorry.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6685
With magnets I can get 100% efficiency.
Des.Kmal
+917|6657|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

mcgid1 wrote:

FYI perpetual motion machines defy the laws of physics.
/thread

close.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6746|67.222.138.85

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

With magnets I can get 100% efficiency.
No, you can't. Say you're going to build a swing, with magnets attracting at each end to keep it going. The magnets are getting 100% efficiency, but the swing must be resting on some sort of fulcrum. When it rubs on the fulcrum, friction is genereated, and the device will slow down. You could get really big magets and make it swing for a really, really long time, but it will eventually stop.

'Course I'm only 15, could easily be wrong.
manitobapaintballa
+32|6658
for one he's fucking with you

and two if your serious just pay up now
BolvisOculus
Spagett!
+167|6658|Manitowoc, WI
ive seen better pollux, i think your slacking these days
The_Mob_Returns
Close the thread, we are beating a dead horse.  We all should know by now, THAT YOU CANT do it.
Canadianinvasion
.:The D€S€RŦ ]V[ǾŲ∩Ŧ€€:.
+6|6683|Behind you with my knife
It is impossible to build a perpetual motion machine because there is always matter coming in contact with it. Like flaming maniac says, the filcrum is going to produce friction and thermodynamic energy, therby creating an opposing force against the moving object. This force slows the object down, and with time creates enough energy to bring the said object to a complete stop.

simply put: thermodynamics makes it impossible.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6566|Portland, OR USA
agreed, you're gonna be out quite a lot of cash.  Perpetual motion is not achievable.

Even in space which is a vaccum so air resistence is a moot point, there is no such thing as perpetual motion.

That being said, maybe he underestimates you because he reads the threads you start here ...
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6685
Okay, what is the best way to fake it then and win the bet?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard