doc. josh
+48|6545
ok well iv decided to replace my dwindling ati Radeon 9550 256md with a new Radeon x1600 pro 512 mb card!
but the new card needs a 300W power supply and i only have a 250 so will this work or should i just not bother and keep the old card
GR34
+215|6545|ALBERTA> CANADA
sorry man no clue maby some 1 who knows stuff about computer will tell us!! i was thinking of doing the same but thith my fx5700
Richard2000
Banned
+39|6545|England
u need to get 550psu
25£
and your computer will stay a lot cooler
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6752|Leipzig/Germany
go buy a nvidia instead of an ati
ati is louder, hoter and needs way more power - the few points more in the benchmark do not justify an ati - imo
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6642|Deep In The South Of Texas
Go with a minimum 400watt from a brand like Antec, OCZ, Enermax, FSP. Also be sure to check the amperage on the 12v rails. 26A should be enough for a single card.
TheRealRyanRay
+22|6573|Gainesville, FL

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Go with a minimum 400watt from a brand like Antec, OCZ, Enermax, FSP. Also be sure to check the amperage on the 12v rails. 26A should be enough for a single card.
I CONCUR
-r3-anubis
+73|6537|florida
If you don't have a 450 watt power supply and want to get one of the latest graphics cards, then it will fry your system.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6695|Mountains of West Virginia
Need to clear a few things up.

|60|Cobalt wrote:

ati is louder, hoter and needs way more power - the few points more in the benchmark do not justify an ati - imo
Proof Please? ATI is louder? Wtf kind of statement is that? You do realize that there are many different distributors of ATI cards, and each brand will use (for the most part) there own cooling solutions.

-r3-anubis wrote:

If you don't have a 450 watt power supply and want to get one of the latest graphics cards, then it will fry your system.
Fry you system? Eh, more like give you random reboots and hangs. I would feel alot safer with a 400 watt Antec then a 650 Cheapo. But I suppose the risk a of frying your system is still possible.

Invest some money is your PSU. Big wattage for low money means trouble.
jamesjosephkilroy
+3|6671|Kentucky U.S.A.
I have to agree with the quality over quantity. I bought a cheap 585 watt PSU so I can upgrade the video card. Now I have random crashes when I overclock my current card the way I did with my 300 watt PSU.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6805|Portland, OR, USA

jamesjosephkilroy wrote:

I have to agree with the quality over quantity. I bought a cheap 585 watt PSU so I can upgrade the video card. Now I have random crashes when I overclock my current card the way I did with my 300 watt PSU.
QFE

Last edited by Viper007Bond (2006-07-16 23:29:52)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
|60|Cobalt
Terror in the Skies
+30|6752|Leipzig/Germany

Snipedya14 wrote:

Need to clear a few things up.

|60|Cobalt wrote:

Proof Please? ATI is louder? Wtf kind of statement is that? You do realize that there are many different distributors of ATI cards, and each brand will use (for the most part) there own cooling solutions.
wtf kind of language is that? - read the benchmarks in computer magazines
ati cards do become hotter than nvidia - if something is hotter you need more cooling - faster rotation of the cooler = more noise
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6848|"Frisco"

Viper007Bond wrote:

jamesjosephkilroy wrote:

QFE
QFE again.
Richard2000
Banned
+39|6545|England
i have got a 550 watt psu and it runs my computer like a dream
u can see my specs below
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6597|Seattle

chuyskywalker wrote:

QFE again.
QFF
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6792|Jupiter

|60|Cobalt wrote:

Idiots, he didnt ask you what video card to get.
T4rd
+44|6676|West Point, NY

chuyskywalker wrote:

Viper007Bond wrote:

jamesjosephkilroy wrote:

QFE
QFE again.
QFE thrice.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6595|Ohio, USA
I am going to agree with those that say quality of quantity as I have brought that up to hundreds of people that ask for advice on picking out a power supply.  Then they come up to me and ask about the Ultra power supplies and other cheap psus and I just smack my forehead. 

You get what you pay for, it is simple as that.  A $30 "500W" (read: super-high peak) will die before a $70 400W will even get close because the more expensive the part is (most of the time) it is of a higher build quality and priced like that for a reason.  If you can't afford one of the more expensive power supplies... then save.

I also noticed that right now you have a 250W power supply.  If this is by any chance from a OEM distribution place (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) then it is most likely a proprietary power supply that is made to work with the motherboard that is also proprietary.  Meaning that some of the wires that are coming from the power supply and into the motherboard are not of the standard ATX form factor and will most likely fry your computer if you replace it.

For the person that said: "if you get less than a 400W power supply then it will fry your computer" that isn't true -- unless the PSU blows up.  It will only make your system unstable and then you will probably shoot yourself for making such a dumb mistake as to buy a cheap PSU.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6695|Mountains of West Virginia
Janus I'm not sure how old the Board is, but Dell Hp/Compaq and Gateway have not used Proprietary PSU and Mobos for some time. They do use a custom Wiring setup for the on off switch, but I work IT with these PCs and know that any old ATX PSU will work.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6848|"Frisco"

Snipedya14 wrote:

Janus I'm not sure how old the Board is, but Dell Hp/Compaq and Gateway have not used Proprietary PSU and Mobos for some time. They do use a custom Wiring setup for the on off switch, but I work IT with these PCs and know that any old ATX PSU will work.
Thanks for the debunk, it is accurate. Although with a system old enough to come with a stock 250, it's possible (although still unlikely)
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6550|Reading, Basingrad
Enermax Noisetaker 620w PSU..........the only way to fly!!
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6546
Yes, upgrade your power supply to at least 400w.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
antin0de
+44|6667|SL,UT
Don't give Staples a dime.

Use NewEgg!

www.newegg.com
doc. josh
+48|6545

antin0de wrote:

Don't give Staples a dime.

Use NewEgg!

www.newegg.com
is the money in canaidian
chefvolrath
feeding the BF2S community since 2005.....
+5|6690
check out  monarchpc.com,,,,,,great prices and great deals

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard