TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6593|Las Vegas, NV USA

Nyte wrote:

One thing also is that everyone thinks close-ranged sniping is so easy.  I'd like for someone to make a video demonstrating how "easy" it is.

When you are sniping close-ranged, you have to take into consideration:
- Superior Line-up time (The most crucial)
- Headshot capability (Important nonetheless)
- Movement/Dodge (Definitely crucial if you miss your shot)
- Leading targets/prediction
- Superior knowledge of the surroundings
- No need for bullet drop prediction
- No need for bullet speed prediction

This is VASTLY different from the 400m+ sniping which involves:
- Leading target/prediction (Which in another thread of mine, I state that there is more luck to this due to hitbox issues).
- Bullet drop prediction (Crucial)
- Line-up time (Not as important as it is in close-ranged sniping)
- Bullet speed prediction (At 400m, it takes a shot to get to its target in about 0.5 seconds as opposed to instant at close range)
- Average knowledge of the surroundings
- Artillery consideration
- Nearly no Movement/Dodge consideration

My gripe with long range sniping is that sometimes you can never be sure your target is fully dead... A medic will run along and revive him/her and both run away while you miss your 2 targets.  With close-range sniping, you can be waiting for a medic to come and now the enemy has 2 less tickets.  Lots of other points I'd like to make but can't think of them right now.

Two different ideologies, two different snipers.
At the risk of feeding his ego, Nyte does use some good tactics while using close range sniping.  However, I should point out that a "good" sniper can't be limited to solely depending upon close-range sniping over long-range sniping, or vice versa.

Unfortunately, I've got A LOT of Karkand time, and I've seen the need for learning how to play a sniper at closer ranges.  Especially when most servers routinely rotate Karkand (OMFG!), Sharqi, Mashtuur City, and many Special Forces maps, close to mid-range sniping is almost a "must learn" skill (especially if you happen to be one of those snipers that "likes" to take flags).  On the other hand, I've recently gone back to long-range sniping, and have jumped onto servers that put more Wake or Kubra on their map rotations.  With these maps, learning long-range sniping is the "must learn" skill.

Thus, claiming that one sniper is better than another, by stats alone, especially when their play style changes due to something as simple as map selection, is not a really good way to determine play skill.  In fact, the stats don't put other things into consideration, that are just as important to a good sniper.  Some examples that I can think of is:  1) A sniper who spots out enemy targets. 2) A sniper who sees a teammate in a furious firefight at a distance with an enemy, takes the sure shot, and gets a "kill assist." 3) A sniper that decides to harass the awesome, dominating enemy pilots at their airfield.  4) The sniper that notices that their commander's UAV station keeps being destroyed, so he decides to place claymores on it to defend it.

Things like these are also what make up a good sniper.

One thing I would like to comment on this thread is this:

What gets me more than anything about this guide (and many other posts), is the degree of technical thought put into this game.  Changing DPI settings?  Buying a specific mouse type?  Graphics setting changes?  Ok, not to say that I haven't changed my graphics settings for better advantage since I recently purchased a better computer, but I did pretty well beforehand.  However, if I decided to change my mouse for a gaming mouse, it'd screw up everything I've learned through muscle-memory!  So, what I'm trying to say is:

IMHO, if you're gonna make a sniping guide, make one that works for everyone.  Not everyone has the money, or is willing to spend the money, on an $80 mouse, or a $500 graphics card, for the sake of gaming.  This type of recommendation in a guide, should be reserved for "gaming guides", or given it's own "hardware recommendation" section, and not as a main focus within a "sniping guide."
Chillin&killin
+27|6674|Manchester,England
i disagree nyte knowledge of surroundings in more important at range for the following reasons:

If your looking down your scope at people at 450+ you dont pay attesion to whats going on 4.5+. e.g shooting across wake(south base to north village you have to keep an eye out for people coming to your side of the island in blackhawks or boats heading for the beach.

in close range sniping you have uav's telling you where enemies are and plenty of teamates to help you

oh and the m95 bullet drop is terrible the l9 is easy to line up about 3/4cm for wake id say for bullet drop

the l85a1 can perfrom the same principles as close range sniping that scope lets you place shots

Last edited by Chillin&killin (2006-06-07 14:03:36)

bubbass
humble
+61|6568
Great guide Nyte.
Kkookie
Don't Flame
+20|6743|St. Paul, MN
gj on the guide but things like
"how to be a player close to my calibre"
or
"I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world"
are just going to make people mad at you.
Chillin&killin

madmurre wrote:

if you are close up and using a sniperrifle.. it sure sounds like sniping for me.
and this is a game it´s not the kit it´s the player....
so in your books being anti-tank but NOT shooting at tanks is still being anti-tank. sniper are long range otherwise you just another soldier in the meat-grinder

Last edited by Chillin&killin (2006-06-07 14:18:45)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6740

NYTE, were all sick of you.....

You've done this Guide like 4 times now. We Dont Care.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6696|Germany
Nyte,I love you!!
Do you wanna marry me?
Do you want to be the daddy of my children and teach them how to snipe so godlike like you do?
I'm a guy though,but my love for your sniping- and egolomania-talents would even convince me to perform a sex change....with all the technology today they sure can come up with a cyber uterus.
And it's not that I'm gay,my love for your deeds and words is not sexual,its divine like you cute little sniper jesus yourself....

Please say yes....
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

Well I thought it was very useful. Thank you Nyte.
The fact remains though that I sniped you with a G36C when you were over 100 meters away from me.
That's the problem with acting as arrogant as Nyte does - people will remember when they kill you and rub it in your face.
You still havn't shot me by the way.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6740

Ive Knifed Him!!!
Chillin&killin
he tk'ed me after joining my squad.

Last edited by Chillin&killin (2006-06-07 14:35:59)

TurDlich
Recovering Karkand Addict
+8|6652|Bottom of the bowl

TrueArchon wrote:

What gets me more than anything about this guide (and many other posts), is the degree of technical thought put into this game.  Changing DPI settings?  Buying a specific mouse type?  Graphics setting changes?  Ok, not to say that I haven't changed my graphics settings for better advantage since I recently purchased a better computer, but I did pretty well beforehand.
Well, try to think about the guide in a critical way.  Read between the lines here.  This guide has Nyte's mark of arrogance all over it, but that should not eliminate anyone from his audience of readers.  Hardware DOES make a difference.  If you like sniping so much, you might want to consider a better mouse.  (Forget about it being a must.  Like Nyte, I'm lucky enough to have a G5. which I now consider the G5 must for myself when I play, because it is superior to any mouse I have ever used.  Only natural to pimp the sweet stuff if you've used it.  Using my old rig and MX500 is a lot different than the new stuff.) Changing settings DOES make a difference.  Reducing the effects of lag (whatever kind it is) can only help when trying to make precision shots with say, I don't know, um a sniper rifle.  If you can't appreciate this then you need to play online FPS more.  Good hardware that works properly together, as well as, proper settings in drivers, games, etc. is an advantage over people just like TrueArchon.  Their gaming skill is bottle necked by ignorance of their rig.  Just cuz Nyte didn't say it pleasingly, doesn't mean it has no merit.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6706|67.222.138.85
Wow, why the heck are you posting stuff like this when every one here knows I am the god of all sniping, not to mention bf2 as a whole, you will all cringe and throw down your scopes forver at the site of my amazing headshots.

Just referring to Nyte's mindset.

Good, guide, very informative, and to everyone else telling him to shut up, how about a sniper duel where people challenge him, except everything has to take place around the Karkand Hotel/Square. Either it'd get him to shut up or you guys would understand that he may be arrogant, but he really is that good.

To quote some famous guy, "It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-06-07 14:49:15)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6626|Warlord

marty wrote:

Snipers is usless in 1vs1 close combat, and usless in overall.

gene_pool wrote:

marty. that where you are wrong. You haven't seen a sniper that plays like this obviously. Well, not a half decent one. We kill one shot. they don't.  I reckon this should be a feature.
Yeah, what gene_pool said. Don't mistake your own ability to do this, or those of the run-of-the-mill snipers we all see too regularly (fairly mediocre) with someone who knows that they're doing and has hardware/reflexes to match.

dont_be_ss wrote:

long range sniping involves "Average knowledge of the surroundings", i disagree with you there if you don't know the map well you won't know where to hide, finding the right hiding spot is crucial to get a respectfull k/d ratio.
QFE

Look at good distance snipers like yourself or Sinny or Books with superior K/D ratios and that's someone who is in the top half a percentile when it comes to positional awareness from what I can see, judging by all the dubious snipers out there that even I'm better than LOL

gene_pool wrote:

Seriously guys. stop flaming. these forums are just flaming now. No mre of the usual "oh congrats man. wesome stuff" and when someoen does make a thread/guide like this they get flamed.
Yeah, I agree bigtime... but, posting stuff that makes you look like an arrogant ass (especially repeatedly) gets a certain appropriate level of response

stryyker wrote:

"CLOSE RANGE SNIPING" is an oxymoron fool.
Pedant much? You're a sniper, using your main gun? You're sniping technically.

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

Why are snipers so conceited?
Not all of us are

Good post TrueArchon.

Kkookie wrote:

"I probably have the fastest line-up time in the world"
are just going to make people mad at you.
In addition to that it's sure to be wrong; as a rule there is always someone better, even if it's just on the day.
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6673|Canada Eh?
a K/D ratio of 1.8 and he wants us to believe he's holier than thou?

Sure, its better than mine, but I suck.
Chillin&killin
"Pedant much? You're a sniper, using your main gun? You're sniping technically."

so if ikill a guy with a sraw im anti-tanking him sniping is a term for long range killing
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6626|Warlord

Tyferra wrote:

The fact remains though that I sniped you with a G36C when you were over 100 meters away from me.
Which makes my point about automatic weapons in the hands of a skilled user.

Tyferra wrote:

That's the problem with acting as arrogant as Nyte does - people will remember when they kill you and rub it in your face.
Yep, it is its own reward

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

...how about a sniper duel where people challenge him, except everything has to take place around the Karkand Hotel/Square. Either it'd get him to shut up...
Actually on the evidence it wouldn't LOL

Chillin&killin wrote:

"Pedant much? You're a sniper, using your main gun? You're sniping technically."

so if ikill a guy with a sraw im anti-tanking him sniping is a term for long range killing
You can make a case either way. If you kill guys with grenades it doesn't matter what kit you're using you're nading them, right? It's more about the weapon than anything, for me at least.
Picouz/VoiD
The Insomniac
+39|6664
I don't fall into your categories, I don't have everything on high nor that resolution, tbh I> you close range.

kkthx&bye. Go play with your toys 'n stuff.
b4d_b0y
+5|6579

Picouz/VoiD wrote:

I don't fall into your categories, I don't have everything on high nor that resolution, tbh I> you close range.

rofl pwned! kthxbye
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6626|Warlord

b4d_b0y wrote:

Picouz/VoiD wrote:

rofl pwned! kthxbye
Maybe, if it were true. But unfortunately it appears to be more macho posturing.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

stryyker wrote:

madmurre wrote:

if you are close up and using a sniperrifle.. it sure sounds like sniping for me.
and this is a game it´s not the kit it´s the player....
the definition of sniper is a skilled, LONG RANGE killer
qft
JaMDuDe
+69|6776
Your guide should just say "Constantly bunny hop and crouch/laydown until you have an easy shot". Cause when i played with you thats all u did. Anyone can make the shots u do, they just dont bunny hop and hide as much.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6751|Toronto, ON

Vampira_NB wrote:

a K/D ratio of 1.8 and he wants us to believe he's holier than thou?

Sure, its better than mine, but I suck.
It's 2.97 actually, I like to go by www.statpadder.com rather than this site because it calculates everything starting from the beginning (Which is 1 year ago!!).  I started off pretty crappy (I had a ~0.5 KDR in my first month of playing as a Sniper in June).
Alpha as fuck.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

JaMDuDe wrote:

Your guide should just say "Constantly bunny hop and crouch/laydown until you have an easy shot". Cause when i played with you thats all u did. Anyone can make the shots u do, they just dont bunny hop and hide as much.
QFT
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6751|Toronto, ON

JaMDuDe wrote:

Whatever it takes to win. I don't recall bunny hopping that often, I mainly do prone spamming.
Alpha as fuck.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6719|California

statspadder.com is a website for people who suck more than they admit themselves to believe. its true, dont try and deny it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard