Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6465|Foothills of S. Carolina

Anyone have any ideas on how to recover files from a hard drive with corrupt sectors. I have a just about full 1TB drive that died on me, and I would really like to get some info off of it. Thanks
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
Sure it's easy, just get the files from the backup you made.

Otherwise there's some tools to recover bad sectors, but I'll let you know now, they rarely work. Get yourself a bridge (like this or better yet this) and connect it to a working computer. Windows has a repair, or you can google others. But like I said, don't get your hopes up.
Canin

Its a hardware issue, the drive is shot and noisy. Not much hope left for it, but at least it is still under warranty, so Seagate will replace it.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
There's the old put-it-in-the-freezer trick that sometimes works. It's one of those internet fables that can extremely rarely actually work just long enough to get data off.
Canin

Yep, giving that a try now. Just want to get some documents off of it and maybe a few family pictures. Bought a sata enclosure today on clearance for 20 bucks.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
Not that you need to be told... but backup my brotha. I learned the hard way after losing 8+ years of music, which is just about the only thing I really care about on my computer. I bought a 1 TB external and backup now.

As long as it's just the mechanics in the drive, and not platters themselves, you can always send it in and get everything off. Looking at thousands of $ though. For some people thats more than worth it.

Try freezing it overnight (in a bag so you don't get water in). If you can, keep it in the freezer while the cords run to the comp.

Good luck.
Canin

Thanks for the advice. While I would love to recover my music, tv shows, and movies, they don't mean thousands of dollars to me. Now, the pictures of my son, that would be worth a lot, but I was able to salvage a good many of those last night. Game back ups and all my favorites would have been nice to have too, but oh well.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3950|SL,UT

https://i.imgur.com/sh5AKze.jpg

(sorry Canin - pirana gave you the best advice, except - there are forensic recovery centers. it is worth looking into, imho)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard