pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Omitting the nat'l park vs nat geo one cuz, duh.

Those you listed, in my opinion, are "events" as opposed to a movie which you're just paying someone to borrow their enormous TV and crazy-huge sound system.
Going to baseball games, in my opinion, is way more than just watching 9 people pitch a ball to 9 other people.
Going to concerts, in my opinion, is more than just the music. If you sat in a corner and closed your eyes during every concert, then yes, just buy the record.

That's just my opinion though.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

pirana6 wrote:

samesies.

I can immerse myself in a film without the need to have booming sound and a 2-story tall screen. Better? Sure, but only slightly. Plus, with the need drop $12 + $8 for food, it just seems ridiculous. I haven't been to more than 2 movies in the past 5 years at theaters.
With larger TV's and nice sound systems, I never even want to anymore.
Plus I can pause and take a piss and get food and whatnot.
Yeah the ability to pause is also another big pro for watching good movies at home. Big tv's are inexpensive enough these days that for me the cinema is pretty much obsolete.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I've about reached my limit on retards dicking around on their searchlight-like smartphones during films.

If you want to spend your evening giggling and dazzling people as you exchange facebook posts with the people next to you - who are also on their fucking phones - why not stay at home or go to a cafe instead of fucking up my film-watching?

I've seen plenty of gaggles of people spend the entire film locked to their phones - do not understand.

That and old people talking as if they're at home.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-11-06 00:06:19)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
Geez... The theater we go to has people watching for phones and will ask you to step outside if you even look at yours... If you do it again, they will kick you out without a refund. They are really big on other people not messing up your experience.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4165|Oklahoma

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Geez... The theater we go to has people watching for phones and will ask you to step outside if you even look at yours... If you do it again, they will kick you out without a refund. They are really big on other people not messing up your experience.
Harkins?
CC-Marley
+407|6799
Just watched Mama with the lady. She loves crappy "scary" movies. I thought it was pretty bad/10
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
most scary movies are crappy
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City

Extra Medium wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Harkins?
Warren
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Well I liked it but I'm not quite sure what it was. It didn't feel like seeing a movie. It was more like seeing a stage show mixed with a theme park ride. Some of that may have been the 48FPS which again is quite obvious but again it's up to debate whether it adds or subtracts to the enjoyment of the film. Also maybe because a lot of it seemed like Jackson and his crew wanted to just kind of show off and see what they could do.

There are good bits and bits that don't quite work. Most of the ones that don't quite work are still enjoyable because they're part of the ride - though it varies of course. Only one bit really made me scrunch up my nose because it was playing it straight when what was going on on-screen seemed a bit silly. Won't say what it is 'cause no-one would have seen it yet but it reminded me of Scooby Doo for some reason. But there were some really enjoyable bits too which made up for the record skips in my opinion. It's kind of difficult to judge overall though.

It's definitely not following the Rings' aim of trying to 'legitimise' the fantasy genre, it's essentially Pete and Pals playing with their toys and showcasing a pretty good story while they do it. There are some cool set-pieces no question and the fighting is neat, particularly when Legolas and Tauriel show up but speaking of them I think Desolation is the movie where it can well and truly be said that Pete Jackson has decided to leave Tolkien behind. I don't think he cares much what book purists think any more, it was hinted in the last one and well and truly confirmed this time. I read the Hobbit, though when I was too young to remember much of it now, but there wasn't much that seemed familiar. I'm not going to weigh in on whether that's a good or bad thing, as far as I'm concerned Middle Earth is as much Jackson's as it is Tolkien's by this stage. Jackson has a vision and I don't think it should necessarily be judged on how close it is to the books any more.

There was a lot going on and it felt long but still didn't feel overly bloated. Gandalf's side story paid off too I reckon. The revelation - while about as hard to predict as the sun coming up in the morning - was pretty awesome. Though it will be interesting to see how that is resolved to make it flow onto the Rings trilogy.

All in all there was only two things the film crucially needed to get right. The first was to create a bridging movie to carry the film forward and set it up for the grand finale. The second was the dragon. I think it accomplished the first well and I think it accomplished the second brilliantly. Smaug is a close second to Gollum, (who was absent for the first time in a Jackson/Tolkien film,) in terms of fantastic digital characters.

Desolation will likely get the same sort of reaction as Towers - it's the middle child after all - and it will be more fairly judged when the trilogy is complete. I liked it though and I think most people will get out of it what they expect. But for those enjoying picking apart the Jackson/Tolkien world there's plenty for you to work with.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
CC-Marley
+407|6799
Wreck-it Ralph. 8.5/10
I was down in Orlando for 10 days visiting a buddy. He recently had a baby girl, built a house and turned 40. His son Lincoln and I watched the movie one night. I enjoyed it a lot.
We had a party last Saturday at his new house and rocked it like the old days. Which made his wife pack the kids up and take them to the in-laws 'cause we were acting like 20 year olds....lol. She knew who she was marrying.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4165|Oklahoma
IP MAN

4 glorious Chinese peoples revolution propaganda films out of 5.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug  13 /dwarves

i liked it, the action nonstop, they took liberties with Tolkiens original, and gave that pansy-assed cartoon of the Hobbit a needed kick in the ass
CC-Marley
+407|6799
Saw it Christmas night. I enjoyed it. Smaug was perfect. Can't wait for the next.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

yeah smaug was fucking awesome. the second was 10x better than the first. the first was just so boring and went nowhere plotwise.

seeing evangeline lilly for the first time since lost was a nice surprise too. glad to see she's had at least one decent role since lost.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 5/10 - Jennifer Lawrence is hot, but if you saw the first movie you can watch the second at home on the small screen. A week after seeing it and I'm struggling to visualize anything except the arena.

The Wolf of Wall Street - 8/10 - Basically non-stop female full frontal nudity with a lot of male chest beating testosterone. Surprisingly really funny, Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio have awesome chemistry to the point you think they've been friends for decades which honestly made the movie worth seeing. Ultimately it did a great job portraying everything negative about Wall Street and the type of people that are attracted to that kind of work. In the end, it was a half hour too long and really shouldn't have had a happy ending.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: 8/10

Really really good. Beautiful movie. Depressing as hell, though I don't know that it is supposed to be. One of those movies you watch and then go make some changes in your life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The Hobbit Pt2 7/10

6/10 were for Smaug
1/10 because it was an epic achievement

I was pissed at how the story had been meddled with for no reason whatever (except for the addition of Evangeline Lilly - of which I approve), and that it was 90% one long run and chase with no real intelligence.
Once you've seen one orc have his head chopped off or get an arrow through it it gets boring quickly, there was nowhere near that level of violence in the book, its my general criticism that Peter Jackson turns violence into slapstick and can't do menacing at all well - except the evolution of Sauron was OK.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
the hobbit pt1 7.8/10

sure they fucked the story but it was entertaining
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
Kick-Ass 2: 4/10
And I really liked the first one...

Despicable Me 2: 5/10
And I really liked the first one...

Bad week for me and sequels... And we have 2 more planned for this weekend. Ugh.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Lone Survivor 10/10, great movie.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4165|Oklahoma
Sharknado

lol/10

Best part was when they flew a helicopter up to the tornados and threw pipe bombs into them to make them go away.

Last edited by Extra Medium (2014-01-18 15:26:06)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
The Princess Bride 5/10

Perfectly average. As much as I've heard references to this movie, it certainly wasn't very good at all. The "story" is the absolute minimum it could be, and the laughs are rather few and far between for being called a comedy. Seemed utterly forgettable.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Ender's Game absolute horseshit/10

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Was there some incestuous relationship between Ender and his sister in the book? Because they seemed too close to be brother and sister. In fact how close to the book is this movie anyway?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

There's huge sections of the book that are just completely left out. Book is a thousand times better.

And his relationship with his sister is perfectly normal in the book and movie. No idea how you read it as incestuous. I think you're just projecting.

How's your relationship with your sister?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard