Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6602|New Hampshire, USA
Just got this game last night on sale from steam for $2.50 and I've been having a blast with it. Come on here today to discuss it with the enlightened minds of BF2s only to find that the FTL thread is nowhere to be seen. So I'm making this in hopes that there isn't already an FTL thread, please find it in your hearts to forgive me if there is.

Without further ado:

FTL: Faster Than Light is a top down, real time strategy game created by indie developers Subset Games. In the game, the player controls the crew of a single spacecraft, holding critical information to be delivered to an allied fleet several sectors away, while being pursued by a large rebel fleet. The player must guide the spacecraft over a number of sectors, each with planetary systems and events procedurally generated in a roguelike fashion, while facing against rebel and other hostile forces, recruiting new crew, and outfitting and upgrading their ship. Combat takes place in pausable real time, and if the ship is destroyed or the crew lost, the game ends in permadeath, requiring the player to restart.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/FTL_Faster_Than_Light_Screenshot.jpg

At game start, the player chooses a spacecraft with several specific systems rooms (piloting, engines, weapons, life support, etc.), and a crew. The game randomly generates multiple space sectors à la roguelike games, with twenty-some interesting way-points per sector. The player must "warp" the ship between way-points, normally unaware what awaits at each point, making headway to an "exit" point leading to the next sector until the Federation is reached. Players can revisit way-points, but each warp jump consumes fuel and causes the rebel fleet to occupy more of the space in each sector. Encounters are more dangerous deeper within the rebel sphere of influence.

In combat, the player can manage the ship's systems by distributing power, order crew to specific stations or rooms to repair damage, and fire weapons at the enemy ship. Successful weapon strikes by either side can damage systems, disabling their functions until repaired by crew; cause hull breaches that vent air into space until patched by crew; ignite fires that spread and damage both systems and the hull until they are extinguished by crew or starved of oxygen; and inflict direct hull damage, which reduces the ship's hull points (the player can restore hull points via stores, friendly bases, random events, and hull repair drones). A ship is destroyed once its hull points are reduced to zero, or defeated once its crew is eliminated. A player victory earns resources for bartering, upgrading, or combat; an enemy victory results in game failure, deleting the save file and forcing the player to start over. Alternatively, the player may evade combat by jumping to another way-point after the ship's engines have charged.
Source

This is one of those games that I'm sure just about everyone here has played and loved, but just starting out I'm having a great time. Definitely much deeper than I thought it would be and it's especially worthwhile with the 75% off sale steam is having for it right now.

Last edited by Eagle (2013-07-13 14:15:27)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

It's a good game, but I've not been able to beat the 2nd boss after countless attempts.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Brasso
+1,549|6601

AussieReaper wrote:

It's a good game, but I've not been able to beat the 2nd boss after countless attempts.
took me like 49 games before i finally beat it on EASY
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6241
I've played this heaps. The only ship I haven't unlocked yet is the Slug ship. My favourite ship is the one you unlock for completing it with the artillery beam.

Also the soundtrack is awesome.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

i played FTL before all of you h4h4h4
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5007|Massachusetts, USA
I've had it since September. 40 hours sunk in and I still cant beat the final boss. It's still wicked fun to play.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

UnkleRukus wrote:

I've had it since September. 40 hours sunk in and I still cant beat the final boss. It's still wicked fun to play.
same. september 16th. i think it's probably when it came out. i played the crap out of it when i first bought it, even going so far as to bring my laptop in to class to play it. super addictive.

just looked at my stats and it took 32 games and 30 hours of gameplay to beat it on easy. normal must be a real terror.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5007|Massachusetts, USA
I started out playing on normal and had to switch to easy. I couldn't get through the first few systems. I found the engy cruiser to be the most effective, but even then.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

UnkleRukus wrote:

I started out playing on normal and had to switch to easy. I couldn't get through the first few systems. I found the engy cruiser to be the most effective, but even then.
ya. there is a ton of RNG and sometimes you just get fucked
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6241
I got it around Feb-March and played it a lot while I was immobilized at home following an operation. I've nearly entirely played it on easy.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
Reading through this thread, this game really seems to be remarkably difficult for current games with their 10 hours railway campaigns.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma
Wow, this game could be fun but for me it isn't.  The lack of an ability to save progress without exiting the game and the permanent death bullshit is this games way of screaming in my face "DON'T PLAY ME!".

I regret buying it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Really? How much did you spend on it. I regret some of the pizzas I've bought, but only because of Domino's food poisoning.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Really? How much did you spend on it. I regret some of the pizzas I've bought, but only because of Domino's food poisoning.
Add, having to talk to you, to the list of reasons I regret buying this game.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Brasso
+1,549|6601

Extra Medium wrote:

Wow, this game could be fun but for me it isn't.  The lack of an ability to save progress without exiting the game and the permanent death bullshit is this games way of screaming in my face "DON'T PLAY ME!".

I regret buying it.
that's definition "roguelike" game
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6602|New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, the game would be kind of pointless if you could save. It's really just a sort of "see how far you can get" kind of thing
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
poisoned pizzas ive had

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma
Also, pretty sure the final boss fight is rigged.

I always go for the shields first.  I'll get his shields in the red, thus meaning all my shots should pen.  I then go for the cockpit and engines so he can't avoid or dodge shots.  Get those both in the red. 

Still, 75% of my shots miss.  I call bullshit on that.  No shields, no engine, no cockpit and no driver and still this motherfucker is dodging my shots?

Eat a fucking dick game.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6241
If the cockpit/engine is red and the shields are red then all your shots will hit. If the cockpit/engine is only orange it can still dodge.

The final boss fight is very hard with the first ship I've found. Once you complete it once and get the ship with the artillery beam, things get much easier.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard