A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six
August 25th, 2013.
A Florida boy died from a fresh water born brain eating disease.
It is said to be 99% fatal.
According to wikispaces there is a danger of this mutating and there is no known cure.
Discuss.

About the disease and mutation.
The August 25 death of the 12 year old boy.
Animal Planet video
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

i personally don't see a problem, unless it affects the cortex.

today's kid's don't use the brain anyways.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Shut down everything.

I think you're over reacting by making this thread, ATG.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Plugging
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six
It's current news and a potential dangerous situation.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

"Potential."
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That animal planet series of videos is such scaremongering. Reminds me of presidential elections.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
another reason to stay away from florida
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma

AussieReaper wrote:

Shut down everything.

I get it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I found an extensive article on this brain-eating disease.

e: sheesh, third tag fail. i should take a nap.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

They say tin foil will protect you
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six
The first link there talks about the problems with mutation.
It would help me if you guys debated this thing, ya know quote each other, divide into camps, learn more than you would ever have otherwise via wikipedia, etc.

Like the good old DST days.

It's research ffs.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6463|Connecticut

A2TG2 wrote:

It would help me if you guys debated this thing, ya know quote each other, divide into camps, learn more than you would ever have otherwise via wikipedia, etc.

It's research ffs.
Now everyone kind of waits around to see what other people start and then they flame it until its boring. Old dst > new dst
Malloy must go
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

A2TG2 wrote:

It's research ffs.
It's stupid. Bacteria thrives in warm stagnant water. News at 11.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Extra Medium wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Shut down everything.

I get it.
I'm glad you're immune to brain disease.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think some people have a rose-tinted view of old DST.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5007|Massachusetts, USA
Fucking hate zombie hypothesizing. It's impossible for a "zombie" scenario. There are too many environmental factors that would make it so.

This thread is useless in DST.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think that too many zombie licenses rely on diseases, chemicals, parasites, etc. Aliens are slightly less used, but what I would like to see make a return for cause is plain and simple magic. Not in a magic realism fantasy land with Harry Potters, faeries and Gandalf, but just wherever you happen to be filming. You don't even have to explain the cause. It could just be hypothesized around a campfire with nobody figuring it out for sure.

It would also allow you to use skeletons if you wanted. Not the mummified meatsacks like in Warm Bodies. More like the Harryhausen ones.
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I think that too many zombie licenses rely on diseases, chemicals, parasites, etc. Aliens are slightly less used, but what I would like to see make a return for cause is plain and simple magic. Not in a magic realism fantasy land with Harry Potters, faeries and Gandalf, but just wherever you happen to be filming. You don't even have to explain the cause. It could just be hypothesized around a campfire with nobody figuring it out for sure.

It would also allow you to use skeletons if you wanted. Not the mummified meatsacks like in Warm Bodies. More like the Harryhausen ones.
My zombies occur  in the narrow window of an evolutionary cycle.
The bacteria, yes it currently exists in warm fresh water, and it mutates, like it could irl.
Dogs eat the brains of these mutants, who appear to be as like zombies in our pop culture, and they too evolve.

I did some research on fast evolving bacteria and plagues and the average mutation cycle of a fast mutating virus is 28 days ( hence the title to that movie? ) which is why something like ebola is not a major global threat; it would just as quickly mutate into something harmless.
The zombies in TZW eventually turn into some sort of human maggot hybrid and beyond that are only a bit player in the epic.
I like the skeleton idea. Imagine a skeleton with like a maggots mouth from the shoulder up. Like, all the flesh is from the shoulders up and from the neck down its a drained carcass.

I do have in mind magic. The Preacher attracts his cult following and their belief in his gives him certain abilities that one might describe as magic.

As for this debate; can anybody see why this virus is not the most plausible explanation of a zombie type outbreak? It could mutate. It feeds on brains and there is no known cure.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

I see it.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

I think that disease has struck at my house, and ate my childrens brains.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

A2TG2 wrote:

As for this debate; can anybody see why this virus is not the most plausible explanation of a zombie type outbreak? It could mutate. It feeds on brains and there is no known cure.
I actually think bio is one of the least plausible (and most overused) explanations for zombies, unless they degenerate quickly like the 28 days ones. I find it difficult to imagine a bacteria, virus or microscopic parasite animating a rotted corpse, and even more difficult crediting something like toxic waste. But I see no reason why one couldn't be combined with magic (or something like unguided nanotechnology) to achieve that sustaining effect to make animation workable and give it flavor compared to the countless other pure-bio zombie flicks. It would pull you out of the zombie industry's current comfort zone.
A2TG2
Hazbeen
+67|4495|at your six
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013 … r-old-boy/

Another thing. unrelated to the link but to the previous discussion, is that in crafting a post Apocalyptic  landscape is that no one thing could do it quickly. Japan survived two nukes, for i.e.

To go from the world we are in to  a scenario like the movie The Road would take years.
I want my thing Newworld,  to happen in a time span of months, hence the mutated parasite, the nukes, the invasion and the cult nutbag Tolkien preacher all happening at the same time.

Last edited by A2TG2 (2013-09-14 22:23:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard