Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Speaking of steam, their store just shutdown due to heavy traffic because of the sale countdown ending lol
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

The problem with Steam is Valve hires nobody but exceptional people that are allowed to work on whatever crazy ideas they have in their head.

So nobody wants to do something "boring" like improve the groaning and creaking Steam program. It's something that hiring some basic software engineers would fix but they won't do it because it's not how they think they should work.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

e.g: 5 minutes to load up a single page of screenshots. gg, valve.
Browsing in Steam in general is SO slow compared to Firefox, Chrome etc.
this is the sort of apology for steam that fanboys always come up with. "oh, it's because their hiring is too exceptional, so it creates problems, lol". no. steam don't only recruit genius-savants or people with entire game intellectual-properties stored in their memory. a lot of very pedestrian updates get released for the steam client and various games, every single day. it obviously consumes a decent amount of their labour. it's just a poor sense of direction - either poorly-judged or cynical and calculated for more profit (you decide). it's not like they're too busy having genius ideas to spend some money on more servers; it's also not like they're always so busy building mind-blowing new games that they can't fix a few bugs. that's a crappy argument.

that said, i've had good treatment from steam support. so they must be employing some non-geniuses somewhere in the organization. a steam worker even gave me back an unusual tf2 hat after i had it scammed from me in a dodgy trade (their terms of use explicitly state they won't normally intervene on these disputes). so i'm pretty satisfied with it... and sure they employ some moderately 'normal' people.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
store goes down a lot during sales
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

_j5689_ wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

That's the trade-off for having an in-game browser, probably isn't necessary and it might go faster if it was optimized but that's the way it is.  They're always improving it anyway, it didn't always have a decent tab-system or the ability to search the text on a page or even copy/paste when it first came out.  I heard it's based off of Chromium(a light version of Chrome) like the browser CCP used for Eve when they finally decided to make it functional a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.
That's not much of an excuse for Steam running slow either in-game or out-of-game. Tabbed browsing, really? That's about as embarrassing a development to boast about as Internet Explorer catching up in the mid-00's. I seem to recall much ado being made about it by Microsoft fans like "HEY GUYS, YOU CAN MOVE YOUR BOOKMARKS BACK OVER NOW." And speaking of which, a bookmarks feature for the Steam browser in and out of game would be pretty useful because right now, I keep a text file with a list of sites I frequent while playing games. In-game currency item exchange rate charts, theory-crafting and and item lists come to mind for the RPG's.

Don't get me wrong, tabbed browsing is a nice feature to have for an in-game overlay, but it doesn't excuse the myriad problems that Steam has pretty much ignored for the longest time...especially with how it behaves out-of-game.

They can start by fixing their annoying bootstrapper failures on launch.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
cards cards cards cards cards cards cards cards cards cards cards cards
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6682|Devon, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

That's the trade-off for having an in-game browser, probably isn't necessary and it might go faster if it was optimized but that's the way it is.  They're always improving it anyway, it didn't always have a decent tab-system or the ability to search the text on a page or even copy/paste when it first came out.  I heard it's based off of Chromium(a light version of Chrome) like the browser CCP used for Eve when they finally decided to make it functional a few years ago, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.
That's not much of an excuse for Steam running slow either in-game or out-of-game. Tabbed browsing, really? That's about as embarrassing a development to boast about as Internet Explorer catching up in the mid-00's. I seem to recall much ado being made about it by Microsoft fans like "HEY GUYS, YOU CAN MOVE YOUR BOOKMARKS BACK OVER NOW." And speaking of which, a bookmarks feature for the Steam browser in and out of game would be pretty useful because right now, I keep a text file with a list of sites I frequent while playing games. In-game currency item exchange rate charts, theory-crafting and and item lists come to mind for the RPG's.

Don't get me wrong, tabbed browsing is a nice feature to have for an in-game overlay, but it doesn't excuse the myriad problems that Steam has pretty much ignored for the longest time...especially with how it behaves out-of-game.

They can start by fixing their annoying bootstrapper failures on launch.
Windowed mode is the way to go for RPGs.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

I wonder when they will come out with a mobile store. Summer sale. Apps for quarters.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

FFLink wrote:

Windowed mode is the way to go for RPGs.
Bad idea sometimes. Could miss drops or have your vista spoiled by the Windows desktop bordering your vision.
FFLink
There is.
True, hence the need for more games to have "Borderless windowed mode".
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Do I need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 in order to get/appreciate Bioshock Infinite?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

FFLink wrote:

?? Do you think I'm talking about the blue bar? No, I mean everything else in the background, be it desktop or browser. The advantage of the Steam overlay is you can turn it on and off easily, allowing easy access to a browser when you want to see it and hiding it when you don't. Unfortunately you have to either search for or past links because derp, no bookmarks. But hey, tabs! That's new, right?
Chou
+737|6782

Macbeth wrote:

Do I need to play Bioshock 1 and 2 in order to get/appreciate Bioshock Infinite?
No.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Cool beans. Cool beans.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6672|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

everyone's level and steam experience is based around trading cards. before it was a largely text/group-oriented profile that put people's gaming bios and their group/team membership first and foremost. now the entire page is achievements, 'game progress %', and a bunch of XP points that all add to... trading cards.
Member since 26 April 2004, and have no fucking idea of what any of you are talking about.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

this is the sort of apology for steam that fanboys always come up with. "oh, it's because their hiring is too exceptional, so it creates problems, lol". no. steam don't only recruit genius-savants or people with entire game intellectual-properties stored in their memory
I didn't mean it like that. I meant it to read with quotation marks around the exceptional. I'm not apologetic at all, I was trying to say that when it comes to "getting things done", their company structure is fundamentally flawed. Which is why their software is sub-par but they're not interested in improving it.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4186|Oklahoma
I would hardly say the Steam company has "poor direction".  Another shit idiot post by Uzique.
FFLink
There is.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

FFLink wrote:

?? Do you think I'm talking about the blue bar? No, I mean everything else in the background, be it desktop or browser. The advantage of the Steam overlay is you can turn it on and off easily, allowing easy access to a browser when you want to see it and hiding it when you don't. Unfortunately you have to either search for or past links because derp, no bookmarks. But hey, tabs! That's new, right?
I mean, if you have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and a game that runs in Borderless Windowed mode, it can essentially look like it's full screen, running at 1920x1080 but when you click on to your other monitor, there's no delay to being able to do something there because it's a window, and not running in "fullscreen mode".

Do you get what I mean?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Oh two monitors.
FFLink
There is.
You only have one..?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Extra Medium wrote:

I would hardly say the Steam company has "poor direction".  Another shit idiot post by Uzique.
i never said steam have poor direction. i said they're cynically milking cash out of their latest developments, all whilst couching it in irreverent blog-posts, and generally riding on the crest on a whole load of SPUF fanboyism. everyone treats steam like their shit doesn't stink, but let's face the facts, here: they ruined the best fps game of the last 5 years - one they took most of a decade developing to be as balanced and well-made as possible - by turning it into a cash-generating sandbox. now they're revamped a steam community to be all about a trading card game... $$$ again. i'm not saying this is even surprising for a gaming company in 2013, just steam seem to get a 'special' pass from pc gamers, as if gabe is some benevolent god. the guy is just as much of a money slut as any EA CEO.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

DrunkFace wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

everyone's level and steam experience is based around trading cards. before it was a largely text/group-oriented profile that put people's gaming bios and their group/team membership first and foremost. now the entire page is achievements, 'game progress %', and a bunch of XP points that all add to... trading cards.
Member since 26 April 2004, and have no fucking idea of what any of you are talking about.
you never looked at the steam community profile before? for the last 5+ years it has been used as a general place to show a 'bio' and your groups. that was the convention. it replaced xfire gaming profiles for the fps crowd that used them before that (nominally cs1.6, source, and cod1/2 players). almost every single competitive player in the tf2 had a 'steam community bio' that would state their player-history, team-history, tf2lobby etc. you never saw that? ok. sorry you have been blind. now all that stuff has been reduced to ONE LINE of space.

all i'm saying is the steam community's design principle/focus has completely u-turned. before it was all personal info and group membership, with achievements and game-stats in a tiny side-bar. now the achievements and trophies are full-centre, and you have to peek around the edges for the bio and group membership. sorry if what i'm saying is somehow difficult for you to accept. stupid cunt.

regards,
"steam member since november, 2004" ()
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

FFLink wrote:

You only have one..?
No, I have two but they're mismatched, so I only use it when I need more work space. I've tried using the other for an RPG guide window before, but it was irritating my peripheral vision.
FFLink
There is.
Oh, I've never been bothered by that.

I do play some games, though, with the other monitors and lights switched off, headphones on, etc. Good atmosphere.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

FFLink wrote:

Oh, I've never been bothered by that.

I do play some games, though, with the other monitors and lights switched off, headphones on, etc. Good atmosphere.
the brazzers.com game?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

$$$ again. i'm not saying this is even surprising for a gaming company in 2013, just steam seem to get a 'special' pass from pc gamers, as if gabe is some benevolent god. the guy is just as much of a money slut as any EA CEO.
This is what confuses me. People treat Origin like it's kryptonite, and scoff at other attempts to get involved in the online distribution industry (Uplay and Impulse come to mind), but their eyes get all googly and adoring when Steam comes up in the conversation. I could maybe see it if Steam's interface was streamlined and the servers obsessively maintained and added to to minimalize traffic issues, but...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard