Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
Have what? That's basic knowledge for anyone who owns a car. I've owned cars with a tow ball before, I just haven't towed a medium sized trailer for almost 1000km with stuff in it.

What I want to know is, presuming the trailer is unbraked and the total load is between 400-500kg, can I safely make the trip without damaging my car, or at least, any idea of likelihood for stress on the car?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
Would a new thread entitled "Ask a random question, get an incorrect answer" be a good thread or every thread?
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
Probably most threads.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria

Jaekus wrote:

What I want to know is, presuming the trailer is unbraked and the total load is between 400-500kg, can I safely make the trip without damaging my car, or at least, any idea of likelihood for stress on the car?
I think these limits are mainly for safety issues.
Your brake path will increase drastically with an unbraked trailer of that weight.

I doubt that average braking would damage or stress the trailer coupling much, especially if it's only that bit over the limit.
But you could always ask a mechanic that knows your make of car.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
Good points. I was planning on taking it relatively easy on the drive down, hang in the far lane and cruise about 10km under the limit when on the highway (which I think is a legal requirement anyway). Thanks mate :-)
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Have what? That's basic knowledge for anyone who owns a car. I've owned cars with a tow ball before, I just haven't towed a medium sized trailer for almost 1000km with stuff in it.

Provided the load on the towball is ~50-100kg  - which is to say the trailer is properly balanced - its not much worse than carrying a dead hooker in the boot. Although if you pick up a 100kg hooker then to be frank you deserve worse things than premature wear on your car, starting with backstrain when you have to lift the body.

Otherwise a little more wear on the gearbox, brakes and engine but not a great deal.
A trailer with over-run brakes will help a little.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
I probably won't get a trailer with brakes. Will likely get a caged on from U-Haul - http://www.trailerrentals.com.au/u-haul-trailers-hire
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Check for a spare wheel.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
I'll check but a worst case scenario is I use the one in my car boot
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're assuming it will fit, which it won't.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
I'm actually assuming it will be all fine and a spare will not be necessary.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
If the trailer has 2 axles/4 wheels, it's less of a problem.
Still, try to get one with a spare wheel.
It'll be much more expansive if you have a breakdown along the way and need to get towed or get another trailer.

Having said that, whenever I think of Australia, I think about going through the Nullarbor plains in the outback, getting mangled by angry dingoes or trampled by red kangaroos.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney

globefish23 wrote:

If the trailer has 2 axles/4 wheels, it's less of a problem.
Still, try to get one with a spare wheel.
It'll be much more expansive if you have a breakdown along the way and need to get towed or get another trailer.
Looks like all the ones that are suitable (ie. not too big) are 2 wheelers. It -should- be ok.

Having said that, whenever I think of Australia, I think about going through the Nullarbor plains in the outback, getting mangled by angry dingoes or trampled by red kangaroos.
That type of country is about 1,500 - 2,000km west of here, the Nullabor is more like 3,000+. I will be travelling due south.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

The opening of this is sampled from what song?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black
think they made that themselves bro
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

100% certain they did not. Either that are just slightly modified wherever they got it from. I instantly recognized it from a Trance song I heard a few years ago.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK
darude - sandstorm
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5781|Catherine Black
that's not sandstorm, no way
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6456|cuntshitlake

what's the square root of -8
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
ratz
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Sandstorm reminds macb of a long lost love. M3th takes advantage of any and every opportunity to bring it up.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Speaking of me...I still need to know where the opening of that killers song is from.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6735|London

yea it does sound vaguely familiar
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

DUnlimited wrote:

2.828i
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6456|cuntshitlake

Jay wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

2.828i
nah
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard