-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6652
A dvd screener? The main negative in terms of quality were the tiny blurred out watermarks.

The movie itself was simply nowhere near the quality of any LotR film, but it was far from terrible...it just left me feeling indifferent, hence the 6(ish) out of 10. The goblins were terribly underwhelming, and that whole part of the movie (which is a significant portion) could have been done in much more menacing fashion. JMO.

@newbie, since when can you not criticize something that was free?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
Taken 2 - 3/10

Please dear god don't let there be a third.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

7 psychopaths.

Great movie or greatest movie?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Red State 8/10

Flight 6/10
Getting quite bored with Denzel Washington's acting range TBH
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Dilbert_X wrote:

Red State 8/10

Flight 6/10
and yet on the same stroke people praise samuel l. jackson for playing the same dude in every single film
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Even Star Wars.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Silver Linings Playbook:

there-are-no-sidewalks-in-philly/10

It was... decent. Maybe 7/10.

I like quite a bit of it but it just wasn't Best Picture worthy. And yes, while Jennifer Lawrence could pee on my face if she wanted to, I wasn't blow away by her acting. Not bad certainly, just seemed a bit... forced.

Then again I'm not in the Academy so wtf do I know.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Even Star Wars.
Rules of engagement
die hard
unbreakable
coach carter
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City
The Last Stand: 6/10
Great movie for a large group of guys to go to for a birthday party. One terrible terrible actor that luckily was only in it a few minutes. Another couple mediocre (at best) actors. Several funny moments. Several ridiculously out there stupid things. An awful (almost non existent) story. Characters you don't care about in the slightest. Still had fun. Would probably have disliked it if I saw it alone on DVD.

Seven Psychopaths: 7/10
I think I was the only one in the group to really like it, but I enjoyed it. It was long and slow, but had funny lines, great characters, and really neat "mini" stories inside the story. It did feel like it went on forever though.

Here Comes The Boom: 5/10
For me alone would have been about a 4, but it was a PG (something I could watch with the kids) movie and they enjoyed it, so it was an ok time. A few pretty funny scenes. Not hilarious though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Red State 8/10

Flight 6/10
and yet on the same stroke people praise samuel l. jackson for playing the same dude in every single film
Quite bored with both of them TBH
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
Movie 43 - 5/10
Better then expected, but some of the senses could have been taken a little further and expanded on. Also it probably would have been nice if all the scenes even remotely tied together rather then being a collection of completely unrelated skits.

The Hobbit - 6/10
And that's probably being generous. It honestly felt like Jackson was just riding the lotr success and phoning this movie (trilogy) in. The story/script felt very disjointed and hastily put together with little concern for pacing. The visuals looked worse then lotr which is now a decade old. The constant reliance on circumstantial luck rather then skill, guile or inventiveness of the protagonists to escape or overcome obstacles became tiresome. The childish humour felt out of place and some senses (eg. the rock giants) added nothing to the movie and made no sense to be there.

For me, it felt like Jackson has lost the passion and precision to detail he had with lotr and close enough was good enough this time around and it really does show.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma

DrunkFace wrote:

The Hobbit - 6/10
And that's probably being generous. It honestly felt like Jackson was just riding the lotr success and phoning this movie (trilogy) in. The story/script felt very disjointed and hastily put together with little concern for pacing. The visuals looked worse then lotr which is now a decade old. The constant reliance on circumstantial luck rather then skill, guile or inventiveness of the protagonists to escape or overcome obstacles became tiresome. The childish humour felt out of place and some senses (eg. the rock giants) added nothing to the movie and made no sense to be there.

For me, it felt like Jackson has lost the passion and precision to detail he had with lotr and close enough was good enough this time around and it really does show.
As it's been said before, you are aware it was a children's book, right?
Saying that, the Goblin PG violence was the let down for me.

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2013-02-11 06:10:52)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6652

PrivateVendetta wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

The Hobbit - 6/10

As it's been said before, you are aware it was a children's book, right?
Saying that, the Goblin PG violence was the let down for me.
While the novel may be "children's fantasy", I think Mr. Jackson took that too much to heart and intentionally dumbed-down aspects that didn't need it - which felt very reminiscent of Jar-Jar Binks feeling so awkwardly forced and out of place in Episode I. Kids would have still loved the movie if it had kept the slightly darker edge/feel that LotR had...I saw all of those movies in theatres, and there were no shortages of obnoxious children in attendance.

If you are going to take a standard-sized childrens fantasy novel, several hundred pages in length, and turn it into a trilogy of 3 hour CGI-fests...well, I'm not sure how movies like that could NOT have issues with pacing and lots of useless filler and contrived plot elements tossed in for little added effect.

also,

7 Psychopaths: 7/10

Ultraviolence and black humor. It started dragging for a bit at around 3/4 of the way through the film, but overall it was enjoyable. Walken stole the show for the most part (which I expected), Sam Rockwell was good as usual, and Colin Farrell was actually better than usual.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
I was just about to write a review on Gattaca but i just can't find the motivation. Somewhere around 8.5, watch it if you haven't already, or even if you have before.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Independence day 8/10

I know the movie is very America fuck yeah since we saved the entire world who were just sitting on their ass waiting to take orders with our fighter jets, stealth bombers, tanks, and nuclear weapons. But I still enjoyed it. You could feel the mid 90's optimism coming through the screen.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day

7.5/10

A little bit incoherent at times, but still great. Fucking Randy.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6573|London

Macbeth wrote:

Independence day 8/10

I know the movie is very America fuck yeah since we saved the entire world who were just sitting on their ass waiting to take orders with our fighter jets, stealth bombers, tanks, and nuclear weapons. But I still enjoyed it. You could feel the mid 90's optimism coming through the screen.
I love Independence day :3

I think my balls dropped at the precise moment Will Smith punched that alien in the face.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
When Pigs Have Wings - 8/10

Spoiler (highlight to read):
A fisherman from Gaza catches a pig, fails to kill it, tries to sell it to UN peacekeepers, sells its sperm to Israeli settlers, who secretly breed them for explosive sniffing, later get's forced by Hamas to use it in a suicide bombing on the very same settlement.
Humorous look at the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, as well as the stance of Jews and Muslims on pigs.

It's probably best watched in the original dub (a mix of Arabic, Hebrew and English) with subtitles, as most of the inter-language communication issues (thus the fun) got lost in translation in the German dub I watched.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Aries_37 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Independence day 8/10

I love Independence day :3

I think my balls dropped at the precise moment Will Smith punched that alien in the face.
Welcome ta Earf!
HITNRUNXX
+220|6707|Oklahoma City
A Good Day to Die Hard: 6/10

Make sure you take some motion sickness pills before you see this movie, because it is one helluva ride! Actually that is a lie... You should take the motion sickness pills because the camera work in this movie sucks. It was apparently filmed by the same guy that filmed Cloverfield, the guy that filmed Blair Witch, and Michael J Fox. The camera bounces all over the place, randomly unfocuses and refocuses, randomly zooming in on something. Framing the shot so tight on a character that you just look at his mouth, nose, and eyes for a 5 minute talking spree. Still, it is almost painful for me to rate it that low. I had really high hopes. I love Bruce Willis. I love the Die Hard movies. But being honest... I probably should rate it a 5. It just wasn't that good. The special effects timing was off. (See spoilers) The characters were...angsty... and over emotional when it wasn't needed... Or had no emotion at all when it would make sense. The humorous lines were long and forced into short gaps in the action. (See spoilers).

Special Effects timing was off:

In a scene where someone hits Bruce Willis in the face with a gun, he clearly gets knocked down before the guy swings.

In a scene where a large truck knocks cars off the road, glancing blows would make the car fly totally off the road... Sometimes before the truck hit them.

In a scene where a bad guy shoots a guard 10 feet away, there is a full second between the gun firing and the bullet hitting the guard.

Etc, etc, etc...

Fitting long "humorous lines" into small gaps in the action.

In a scene where a helicopter is shooting millions of rounds at Jr, Dad has to attach a chain to the helicopter and to a vehicle, using the vehicle to throw off the helicopter's aim. He pauses as he puts the vehicle in gear to say "Oh the things we do for our children... Yippee Kay Ay, Mother Fucker" and only then proceeds to try to save his son's life.

And several more similar times where stopping to mumble off some hurried lines before saving someone's lives. Most often a Dante Hicks-esque "But I'm supposed to be on vacation."

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
You had high hopes for what is clearly just a cash cow on an established brand? I had high hopes for 4 but it was atrocious and 5 looks even worse.

To date the only good reimagining of the great 80's early 90's trilogies has been lethal weapon 4.

I use trilogy very loosly, as some brands should have stopped at 2 movies, ie. Terminator, the godfather, and the first 4 rockys were also all good
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I thought the newer Terminators were ok.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I thought the newer Terminators were ok.
https://i.imgur.com/8ZAs0nQ.jpg
Benzin
+576|5996
Gangster Squad - 8/10

This is now one of my new favorite movies. I saw it in German last night (girlfriend's best friend doesn't understand English very well), so I can't comment too much on the acting but I really enjoyed it. The story was great, the pace was well done. I suppose the only reason I'm docking it a few is because it was somewhat predictable in the way it would play out, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

EDIT: OK, apparently the acting was a bit bad in the English cut? At least that seems to be the general consensus on Wikipedia's reception section. Sean Penn was apparently really goofy, but obviously none of this comes through in a dubbed version... I enjoyed it, though, so fuck the critics.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2013-02-17 03:50:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard