GeoEnvi wrote:
M.O.A.B wrote:
They really need to fix the lock-on inconsistencies. Getting real tired of being locked by Stingers/IGLAs a second after countermeasure deployment, rendering it completely pointless (below radar is equally pointless now), and the rapid fire of missiles, so even if you dodge or fool one, they just hit you with an immediate follow up. On the flipside, any enemy aircraft pops flares/ECM and I'll get no lock on for a good five seconds, and even if they clear the clouds the missile still goes for them. Same with the IR smoke for vehicles. By the time the smoke dissipates they've reloaded and they're practically impossible to kill with Javelins. Got locked myself the other day and fired smoke. Still got hit and locked whilst sitting in the screen.
/Rage
The only lock-on inconsistencies I'd like to fix is the laser guided/javeline target aquisition "bounce" between adjacent vehicles; especially when one of the vehicles happens to be unoccupied. Makes using the LGM and (to a lesser degree) heat-seekers a real bitch to use at range.
Below radar is not pointless for A-to-A, only for SAMs; and it's been that way since the Armored Kill patch. Below Radar is VERY important for a heli or jet to avoid A2A lock on.
Countermeasures will not be effective if you fly past the deployed flares and/or ECM. Once you clear the 'cloud' they'll lock on. By that point, you should be on the deck and retreating behind cover hoping to break the lock or intercept the incoming Javeline/Stinger. With any countermeasures, immediate deployment is the key; especially with ECM. The goal is to minimize the regeneration time so that it's available (even if it's a split second) before the next incoming missle.
Believe me mate, I do everything you're saying and it still comes up with irritating results. I once watched a helo flare into the ground, no flares in sight, and still avoid the Stinger. Objects that would instantly break my lock, like trees, never affect enemy lock-ons, and yesterday I even put a mountain between me and an incoming missile a good three seconds before that missile would have cleared it, but instead of hitting the mountain, it somehow whipped around and hit me. There's an issue with close helo engagements using AA as well. I locked and fired on a Littlebird at a distance of about 30m, he flares while the missile is about half the distance from him and survives. I popped flares the second an enemy helo fired, at about 100m, and still got hit. Lock-on seems almost instantaneous at times, and on other occasions I can point a MANPADS at any enemy aircraft and get no lock despite a clear line of sight. I've been hit by missiles when the locking tone was still beeping, instead of the incoming noise.
They need to incorporate below radar for the handhelds again, or ramp up the reload and acquiring time because it makes it almost impossible to live for very long if the enemy team is humping loads of them around, which seems to be increasingly frequent.
I'd like to see something to indicate the direction of the incoming missile, or the distance between you and it, akin to HAWX. At least then you might have a better chance of survival when every Tom, Dick and Harry has a SAM and covers half the map with it.