pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
Is there a way to 'hide' all the disabled computers in AD in Server 2008?
The directory is getting cluttered with old computers and I hate having to find a certain one in a list when clearly 80% of them aren't even used anymore. Wastes so much time. But NO we can't delete them because 'we need some sort of record for history/safety sake...' so dumb.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6308

You can't create a separate OU specifically for disabled computers?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

pirana6 wrote:

Is there a way to 'hide' all the disabled computers in AD in Server 2008?
The directory is getting cluttered with old computers and I hate having to find a certain one in a list when clearly 80% of them aren't even used anymore. Wastes so much time. But NO we can't delete them because 'we need some sort of record for history/safety sake...' so dumb.
Rename by adding underscore or OLD in front of the old computers?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6493

bugz wrote:

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

13urnzz wrote:

bugz wrote:

I need to keep them in the same container to save the historical 'location'. Thanks I'll just deal with it. I just had a taste or reality on exactly how poor and f'ed up my department is compared to others and this is the least of my worries.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
Yes. I work for the fucking government.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6667|UK
which hospital
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6308

I'm a help desk contractor for the gov and the only thing I can do with Active Directory is account unlocks and password resets. College diploma is really paying off!

/fwp
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

m3thod wrote:

which hospital
It is occurring to me that admitting where I work now would be a poor choice.

bugz wrote:

I'm a help desk contractor for the gov and the only thing I can do with Active Directory is account unlocks and password resets. College diploma is really paying off!
Before I started my job I couldn't have told you what Active Directory even was. That wasn't a year ago. Not saying I know everything there is to know about it (and clearly as my previous posts show) but if you can, just get into it and mess around on a test OU, Group, etc. Then get a test computer and see what happens with certain policies and permissions. That's what helped me learn. I haven't read a single page of a book about it either.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6667|UK
ok but is it more like sacred heart or mercy hospital?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6308

pirana6 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

which hospital

bugz wrote:

I'm a help desk contractor for the gov and the only thing I can I'm allowed to do with Active Directory is account unlocks and password resets. College diploma is really paying off!
Before I started my job I couldn't have told you what Active Directory even was. That wasn't a year ago. Not saying I know everything there is to know about it (and clearly as my previous posts show) but if you can, just get into it and mess around on a test OU, Group, etc. Then get a test computer and see what happens with certain policies and permissions. That's what helped me learn. I haven't read a single page of a book about it either.
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I meant to say that my IT related college program taught me how to create a domain, create associated DNS records, create/delete OUs and security groups, create/force group policies, add/delete/move users, and more. There's a group of permanent employees that work on the same floor as I do called "Account Management." Their entire job consists of moving users between OUs, creating, deleting and modifying AD/exchange accounts. They get paid ~15/h more than I do and do less work.

I love our government.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

bugz wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

m3thod wrote:

which hospital

bugz wrote:

I'm a help desk contractor for the gov and the only thing I can I'm allowed to do with Active Directory is account unlocks and password resets. College diploma is really paying off!
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I meant to say that my IT related college program taught me how to create a domain, create associated DNS records, create/delete OUs and security groups, create/force group policies, add/delete/move users, and more. There's a group of permanent employees that work on the same floor as I do called "Account Management." Their entire job consists of moving users between OUs, creating, deleting and modifying AD/exchange accounts. They get paid ~15/h more than I do and do less work.

I love our government.
Ah I gotcha now. Well yeah but you gotta think that after so many months working where you do know you'll move up. I guess I got lucky in that there's 2 people in an IT department that runs several hundred people so they pretty much have to give me access to everything. The resume gets built up fast that way, but fuck there are some stressful days when things go wrong (as they tend to do in the govt).
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6493

pirana6 wrote:

but fuck there are some stressful days when things go wrong (as they tend to do in the govt).
i asked about government work because - they're cheap as fuck (understaffed) inflexible as fuck (can't rename, move discontinued pc's) and it sounds like the job you're doing probably didn't match the description for the job you applied for.

stress is when the network goes down and you don't have permissions to run basic diagnostics and your phone gets slammed, amirite?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

m3thod wrote:

ok but is it more like sacred heart or mercy hospital?
Is this a House vs Scrubs reference? I don't watch much tv (had to google those to find out what they were). Its more research than hospital beds and sick patients if thats what you mean.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

13urnzz wrote:

stress is when the network goes down and you don't have permissions to run basic diagnostics and your phone gets slammed, amirite?
hahaha sounds about right yeah. really makes alcohol come in handy on the weekends.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6410|Finland

I am my own little one man IT/electronics department. Stress-o-meter off the scale half the time.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
getting lots of bsods recently. think it's bad drivers, but i don't have any system restores to fall back on and i can't figure out what drivers are
baddies. might just reformat ):
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.

FatherTed wrote:

getting lots of bsods recently. think it's bad drivers, but i don't have any system restores to fall back on and i can't figure out what drivers are
baddies. might just reformat ):
safe mode that shit?
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6737|OctoLand
Hi BF2s,

How best way to play windows games on mac?

email ASAP back

The End

Last edited by justice (2012-08-14 10:23:31)

I know fucking karate
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

download windows 7 for Mac
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4964|Dundee, Scotland.
Really thinking about buying another Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD, and going raid 0 with my current force 3, and getting a 60GB Force 3 to use as a boot drive. Yay/Nay?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

Don't bother with Raid.  Get a straight 256GB'ish SSD.  Save the future storage headaches, and don't bother with anything smaller these days.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5746|شمال

Camm wrote:

Really thinking about buying another Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD, and going raid 0 with my current force 3, and getting a 60GB Force 3 to use as a boot drive. Yay/Nay?
nay

Ilocano wrote:

Don't bother with Raid.  Get a straight 256GB'ish SSD.  Save the future storage headaches, and don't bother with anything smaller these days.
yay
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4964|Dundee, Scotland.
So I should just spend the money on something like a Samsung 830 256GB and use the 120GB as a straight boot drive?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
galaxy ace (2.5kmins, inf texts+data) on a £20 contract a few days ago. about to grab a bigger SD card, then think about putting together a new PC
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard