• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • ThinkPads ditch the classic keyboard in favor of chiclet keyboards
Benzin
+576|5968
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574355 … d-laptops/

If Lenovo says the new keyboards are better than the old ones, then dayum.

A friend of mine has an IdeaPad with a chiclet keyboard and it's pretty nice. Not classic ThinkPad nice, but it's still decent enough.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
as long as they keep the little dot mouse that's fine
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter
what is difference?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
the keys are flatter and sort of more spread out. don't like it
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter

FatherTed wrote:

oh i know exactly what ur talkin about now, I seen that style at me local WorstBuy
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Finray wrote:

The "nipple mouse".

The engineer that thought of that must be one dedicated soul.
Playing with his girlfriends boob, comes up with an input device for a computer.

No idea if that's how it actually happened, but it sounds good.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
How was this invented then?

https://i.imgur.com/cVydb.png
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter
Grabbin mah dick yo
Benzin
+576|5968

FatherTed wrote:

I'm on the fence about the new keyboards, too. I just hope that they really are as good as the previous ThinkPads (the first laptops of the previous generation that had it - the Edge and X1 - all got very positive reviews, no complaints whatsoever).
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
The older ThinkPad keyboards had easily breakable keys so this is an improvement as long as they keep the "nipple" mouse.  It's also harder to get a sense of where your hands were on the keys on older keyboards, from my experience these newer laptop keyboards aren't quite as bad with that.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-06-02 16:41:05)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

I guess I'll keep my R500 forever then. And there I was planning for some Ivy Bridge goodness
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5874|CA
This is bittersweet - their classic-style keyboard is one of the features that made Lenovo unique, however from a design standpoint the new "island-style" have a cleaner, more modern look.  I don't know what to think - we'll see what the reviewers have to say.
chiclets? who do they think we are? a pack of MIDGETS?!
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Screw'em.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
where the fuck have you been
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
he's discovered girls \0/
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

where the fuck have you been
You wouldn't understand.

m3thod wrote:

he's discovered girls \0/
Ha ha ha.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

rdx-fx wrote:

Finray wrote:

The "nipple mouse".

The engineer that thought of that must be one dedicated soul.
Playing with his girlfriends boob, comes up with an input device for a computer.

No idea if that's how it actually happened, but it sounds good.
engineer
girlfriend
boob

does not compute
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Does anyone even use the nipple mouse?  I only use it to fuck around when I'm bored.
Benzin
+576|5968

SpIk3y wrote:

Does anyone even use the nipple mouse?  I only use it to fuck around when I'm bored.
I use it at work. It takes some getting used to but it's nice when you're writing. Using Excel and such, I prefer a mouse or touchpad, however.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
never use the touchpad. mouse stopped working so always use nipple mouse.
hate the touchpad
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Benzin
+576|5968
Review of the X230 http://www.laptopreviews.com/lenovo-thi … ew-2012-05 (buying this model in September/October)
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD

RTHKI wrote:

never use the touchpad. mouse stopped working so always use nipple mouse.
hate the touchpad
Same, I wish all laptops came with the nipple mouse instead of the touchpad, I can't stand them even if they are probably faster.  I remember playing Rollercoaster Tycoon with a touchpad on my cousin's fiance's laptop like 12 years ago and my fingers got stuck straight and stiff from not bending them enough.

My old boss the tech coordinator from high school gave me one of the spare ThinkPad X61 Tablets a few days ago that was donated to the school from a local corporation that shut down.  I am quickly re-realizing just how hard it is to get the hang of a ThinkPad keyboard, especially one that was made to fit under a 12 inch screen with all the smaller keys like enter and especially the single-key sized backspace.

Other than that this laptop is awesome though: 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, upgraded the 80GB 5400 HDD to a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD that somebody gave to me, integrated microphone, SD card reader and fingerprint recognition, and the touchscreen pen works flawlessly with Windows 7 x64 that I put on it.  Also has an Intel X3100 graphics chip built into the 965 Express that does hardware T&L and DirectX 10 if I could just find the right custom drivers that re-enable the hardware T&L, supposedly Intel ran into some trouble when they tried enabling it and took it out of their drivers again.  It already plays Half-Life 2 at low-medium settings at 1400x1050 though.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-06-15 18:56:25)

Benzin
+576|5968
That's not a bad machine!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
lol, it sure isn't!  I just ordered the 4965AGN that comes on the higher-end models off of eBay too so now it'll be Wireless N & 5GHz capable.  What a lucky donation of a laptop.

Kind of stupid that it has a whitelist in the BIOS for only Lenovo part-numbered wifi cards that it could've come with as an option but the 4965AGN doesn't seem to be a bad card, I've heard that on 5GHz it actually does the full 300Mbps of dual-antenna N(mine has the 2nd antenna cable taped inside and ready for this upgrade) and still does ~150 on regular 2.4GHz.  Plus I got the card for $9 shipped on eBay from one of the many people in China that probably just steals them off the assembly line or something, lol
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • ThinkPads ditch the classic keyboard in favor of chiclet keyboards

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard