Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
I actually have no idea where you are at with your workouts till now, so I was just making sure you hadn't read one thing that says you should smash the shit out of your muscles 5x a week to see results.

But really, isn't four exercises enough? Just make the weights heavier or add more reps and/or sets?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

Jaekus wrote:

But really, isn't four exercises enough? Just make the weights heavier or add more reps and/or sets?
All I needed. Thank you.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
My suitemates told me today that I am not a complete lifter because I don't do dedicated bicep, tricep or ab exercises and generally limit chest to bench press and flies in alternating workouts. Neither of them deadlift regularly nor squat with anything approaching proper form. Should I laugh at them or simply ignore their idiocy?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
if there's one thing i've learned about lifting in all my reading it's that every does it differently and everyone progresses differently. If that's all they do and they (somehow) get complete workouts and generally look proportional all over, good on them.
If you don't need to do those and also get everything you need. Fine.

I personally don't worry too much about everyone else.

This here is my policy from the time I walk into a gym until the time I walk out
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
I usually lift with them, so its not that simple. It'll be something like the following:

Me: I'm done with my workout.
Them: You should do abs.
Me: They get done fine when I squat and deadlift.
Them: You aren't a complete lifter blah blah blah.

I mostly ignore it, because I've seen my arms and abs get far stronger by doing my compound full body workouts, but I was just wondering what the thoughts were about such a mentality from people who don't even deadlift or squat well.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2012-04-03 23:39:55)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

nukchebi0 wrote:

I usually lift with them, so its not that simple. It'll be something like the following:

I mostly ignore it, because I've seen my arms and abs get far stronger by doing my compound full body workouts, but I was just wondering what the thoughts were about such a mentality from people who don't even deadlift or squat well.
I a way they're right, but they're wrong in so many more.
It wouldn't hurt to do abs after a work-out, stronger core means better deadlifts and squats. But they've got some nerve saying you're not a complete lifter, yet they don't deadlift nor squat. You're allowed to laugh at them in that regard.

But laughing at them doesn't help. All you can do is correct them where they're wrong as much as you can. I know some pretty ignorant people when it comes to lifting and them spouting bullshit can be very frustrating, even more so when these people make more gains than me on some routine they took from a hollywood-star. It's painful and there's nothing you can really do about it.

If they don't want to listen to you and take you seriously on this while you're pretty much spot on they deserve to remain ignorant. Tell them to have fun with their chicken legs and wish them good luck toning for their beach bod.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
good article

How to Burn Fat Without Losing Muscle

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-burn-f … ng-muscle/

I should add the person who shared this with me is a final year student studying strength and conditioning at university and will be taking up an internship at Harlequins Rugby Club as a strength and conditioning coach.

Last edited by m3thod (2012-04-04 15:38:56)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Good article. I love reading stuff that breaks apart the common fitness trends.
Des.Kmal
+917|6589|Atlanta, Georgia, USA
trying to get back into ketosis, but my activity level might prevent it. anyone got experience with low to no carb and a fairly physical job?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...

nukchebi0 wrote:

http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf
inane little opines
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6312|Atlanta, Georgia

m3thod wrote:

good article

How to Burn Fat Without Losing Muscle

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-burn-f … ng-muscle/

I should add the person who shared this with me is a final year student studying strength and conditioning at university and will be taking up an internship at Harlequins Rugby Club as a strength and conditioning coach.
I run 30-60's and 60-120's all the time for my APFT so i like it

How many times a week should I sprint?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam
After my 6 month injury i deadlifted 2 plates again and making progress rather fast. Hopefully i will hit 3 (so a PR) any time soon.

I aslo want to get more ito olympic lifts, they simply fascinate me and to me seem like the a great athletic feat. A combo between raw strength, speed and finesse.
Problem is, my ceilign is too low and the tiles that I have on the floor would crack if I dropped the bar on them. Maybe during the summer when the weather is nicer outside, i'll take my bar and plates out into the backyard, place down some sort of mat to protect the tiles there and then just snatch and c&j in the sun.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...
If you're getting into olympic lifts you need coaching, if you don't have any and try complex movements such as the snatch & powercleans you will end up hurting yourself. These are all about technique.
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

Shocking wrote:

If you're getting into olympic lifts you need coaching, if you don't have any and try complex movements such as the snatch & powercleans you will end up hurting yourself. These are all about technique.
word.
I was thinking of getting the UvA olympic lift course. Only costs 70 euros, and I'm not planning on going to UvA in september so no point in waiting for that price to go down to the student one for me
problem of gym-space still remains though, if it really manages to interest me on a higher level than just some lifting fun, i might invest some money into it and get a mat (wouldnt want to wreck my floor), most likely outdoors (fucking ceiling)

If its all too much of a hassle logistically and financially, i might just drop the whole idea.

On a unrelated side note: Where do you guys buy gym equipment? The store i bought my current stuff at is fine and all, but they don't have some of the things i'm still looking for and maybe the one's some of you use are cheaper (which is always a nice extra)
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Got a mate who's a personal trainer, going to have a session with him on Monday to start on Mike Mentzer's workout. He's been doing it for a while and swears by it.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
injuries are gay
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam

nukchebi0 wrote:

injuries are gay
they're a proper annoyance alright.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5936|London, England

why are PT's the worst group of trained people on the planet

if you want a good workout why do you have to go into the gym with the mindset of disregarding anything that a PT says to you
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6283

Started at the gym 3 months ago, down 10 lbs...I dunno why the hell I didn't get off my lazy ass sooner. Feels great.

m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
you're lean enough.  Put on the muscle/weight.

Full body workout, 3/4 times a week should do it.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6283

Yeah I've evened off around 184-186. Eliminated the cardio (for now anyway, will start cycling when summer rolls around) and am doing strictly weights for ~45min every second day
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Anyone here tried Mike Mentzer's workout?
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Just finished reading Heavy Duty by Mike Mentzer. Interesting book, keen to try it out. Lot of polarised opinions online, people say it works wonders or tear it aart. First workout just over 9 hours time. Pity I can't sleep and it's close to 3am
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
What is his workout?
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
I'm not sure what I will do. He advocates one set to absolute positive failure. Slow, controlled reps. Warm up the muscles with a couple short sets at a reduced weight. It's using mostly machines too. I'm going to a gym a mate works at as he says it works well.

The other thing is you workout once a week for 15-20 minutes. Sounds almost too good to be true, yet he trained Dorian Yates for six consecutive Mr Olympia titles in the 90's. There's stuff on YouTube and the net.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard