+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
The Insider 8/10
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
Thor: 5/10

meh.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Drive: 9/10 after the first watch.

I have a feeling that it's going to be in my Top 10 of all time.
I need around tree fiddy.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624

DonFck wrote:

Seems to be love it or hate it with people (although moreso with the lovin it).

It definitely wasn't close to perfect, but it had way more redeeming qualities than negatives IMO.

(I gave it 8/10 after the first watch, and would give it the same having watched it again over the weekend)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
anyone seen the Artist here yet?

donfck gives Drive a top rating - i must see this.

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-02-28 07:45:09)

KuSTaV
noice
+947|6481|Gold Coast
Machine Gun Preacher
8/10

Pretty decent.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Seems to be love it or hate it with people (although moreso with the lovin it).

It definitely wasn't close to perfect, but it had way more redeeming qualities than negatives IMO.

(I gave it 8/10 after the first watch, and would give it the same having watched it again over the weekend)
There was one thing that bothered me in the movie. A trivial thing, but a bit irritating nonetheless:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
The shots after when the driver has rammed the side of Nino's car and pushed it off the road, the front end of the drivers car seems fully intact. I know that it's necessary for the full effect of the scene that the headlights are on, but at least some radiator steam and a dented hood could have been in place.

The other continuity mistakes and plot holes didn't bother me at all, to be honest:

E.g. Wound placement, flipped video, the Clippers game, disappearing cars, wrist watches and gloves magically dis-/reappearing, rear view mirror sizes and other things I didn't notice while watching (why they didn't bother me) but read on IMDB instead
drive 9/10 the lighting is incredible.
heart felt and a bit gory.
oh, those long drawn out shots of the all american puppy dawg eyes. i swam in those eyes.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lrGPdxgLa2s/TnOe8YSm9yI/AAAAAAAAERI/B3fnkRYdubE/s1600/Drive.jpg
of course the soundtrack catches you on intro.
a beautiful story
/steve mcqueen lives
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

oh, those long drawn out shots of the all american puppy dawg eyes. i swam in those eyes.

a beautiful story
/steve mcqueen lives
You saw it pretty much exactly as I saw it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

a beautiful story
/steve mcqueen lives
saw it the other day as well

blanche/10

one of my favorite flicks of 2011 by far
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
War Horse 7/10

I just didn't enjoy the story arch, but the cinematography was rather good.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624

DonFck wrote:

The shots after when the driver has rammed the side of Nino's car and pushed it off the road, the front end of the drivers car seems fully intact. I know that it's necessary for the full effect of the scene that the headlights are on, but at least some radiator steam and a dented hood could have been in place.
I noticed that, but since his personal car is sort of a stuntman's dream mishmash thrown together, I assumed it was "deathproof"...and none of the other little things were that noticable/bothersome...

Harry Brown: 6/10. Michael Caine was the reason I watched it, and pretty much the sole thing carrying it IMO. Not terrible, but definitely flawed.

I might have given it a 7, but I'm not sure just how incompetent the police in the UK are. This movie made them out to be bumbling idiots, with no power, which was likely the point, but I kept waiting for some sort of show of force and it doesn't really happen. Compare this to a film like the Departed: the cops may not be on the right track, but when criminals blatantly fuck with them, they get dealt with...they just seemed restrained to the point that it was hard for me to take seriously, but that may be more realistic in terms of how things operate across the pond.

I'm thinking of both the female detective, who seemed intent on giving criminals who she knew were rotten to the core more of a chance than the war hero Harry Brown...really? And also of the estate raid, where people are punching cops, hitting them with rocks, throwing molotov cocktails etc...and the cops are just sort of like "Oh well, we nabbed a couple of em, back to Scotland Yard eh mates"...

As was evidenced with the Occupy movement and pretty much any other police engagement in America, hitting cops with rocks and molotovs won't end well for you...even acting like you're going to throw something at cops might get you dropped with a rubber bullet and beaten senseless. This isn't a rah-rah-America comment, it just seemed very odd to me
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Safe House. 8/10 for an action film.
Proof that Ryan Reynolds is better than Green Lantern
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6240

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

I might have given it a 7, but I'm not sure just how incompetent the police in the UK are. This movie made them out to be bumbling idiots, with no power, which was likely the point, but I kept waiting for some sort of show of force and it doesn't really happen.
The police in the UK can't do anything at all against a crowd (unless they have a much much much bigger crowd), as shown during the London riots. There was loads of footage of the police being nearby the people breaking into all the shops, and just standing there watching. Literally.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2012-03-03 11:00:16)

Benzin
+576|5968

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Safe House. 8/10 for an action film.
Proof that Ryan Reynolds is better than Green Lantern
Agree. I would even go so far as to give it a 9/10. It reminded me a lot of Man on Fire, another great film with Denzel Washington.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
The Guard - 8/10

Funny, witty, understated brilliance. Great Irish production. Glesson and Cheadle make an awesome onscreen combination.
I know fucking karate
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
Jack & Jill: 4/10

The beginning was pretty funny up until the sister showed up. Unfortunately, that was about 1 minute of movie. Having Adam Sandler in drag really wasn't funny, and really didn't add anything to the movie. (Unlike, say, Robin Williams in Mrs Doubtfire that actually made it funnier and was the point of the storyline.)

The only things that brought this movie up from a 3 is Johnny Depp (who was only in it about a minute) and Al Pacino (who ended up being in it too much, and it got old.) Al Pacino's parts wouldn't even have been funny if not for the fact that is was AL FREAKING PACINO being so goofy.

I did laugh hard at a couple lines... But not enough to make sitting through a whole movie worth it.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6710
Senna

10/10 brilliant
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
donnie darko

i watched it and thought i had a base understanding but then I read shit online and boy was I wrong.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Lost in Translation 1/10 I really hate this fucking movie.

I can get the loneliness thing about the movie and that's cool and all but it makes me angry that Bill Murray was cast as the male lead.

Actually I also hate the whole smug American in another culture part of the movie.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-13 23:27:03)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Okay, so Scarlet is feeling depressed about life and ends up cheating/falling for another guy. Cool. It's a pretty common thing. The part that really irks me about it was the fact she falls in love with Bill Murry. Hot girl rich girl falls in love with a 50+ year old chubby ass. Yeah okay.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Bill_Murray_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/220px-Bill_Murray_by_David_Shankbone.jpg
I'm sure it happens and I get that she liked him for who he was but it's so cliched and played out. Oh yeah she falls for the deep aging guy who is deep because he's old. Makes me want to vomit. It's so pretentious and contrived. I have no idea how this movie won academy awards.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-13 23:34:03)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Oh look Japanese people doing Japanese things! Lets film Bill Murray and Scarlet staring at them confused and/or depressingly. Academy awards here we come.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Lost in Translation's story really didn't interest me too much. Most of it was seeing Bill Murray act.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lost in Translation's story really didn't interest me too much. Most of it was seeing Bill Murray act.
Lost in Translation's story really didn't interest me too much. Most of it was watching Scarlett Johansson.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

DonFck wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Lost in Translation's story really didn't interest me too much. Most of it was watching Scarlett Johansson.
^^

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard