FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Happens all the time with other tests required before doing a procedure.
Which doesn't make it right.
Because pre-procedural diagnostics are wrong?

Go ahead and have a doctor perform surgery without any radiological studies first...and say hello to the 19th century while you're at it.

And nobody is forcing anything. The woman chose to have an abortion...that test is part of the procedure in VA now.
Of course they are 'forcing'.

If having your balls groped were a required test before boarding an aeroplane, would that be 'forcing' if its 'part of the procedure'?
You could choose not to travel by plane I guess, ergo its not 'forcing'.

Your logic gets all twisted up.
What's twisted about it?

In VA, an ultrasound will be part of the abortion procedure. The woman has a choice whether or not to get an abortion in VA. If she chooses to, it's with the knowledge that she will get an ultrasound.

If you're getting knee surgery, you know you'll get x-rays, CTs, or MRIs beforehand. If you don't like those pre-procedure tests, then you can choose to not get knee surgery.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Happens all the time with other tests required before doing a procedure.
Which doesn't make it right.
Because pre-procedural diagnostics are wrong?
They are if the patient doesn't want them, the doctor doesn't need them, they aren't really diagnostic procedures at all and the govt forces them nonetheless.

What's twisted about it? If you're getting knee surgery, you know you'll get x-rays, CTs, or MRIs beforehand. If you don't like those pre-procedure tests, then you can choose to not get knee surgery.
Or you can choose to go ahead with the surgery without those tests, just as women should be allowed to go ahead with an abortion without the govt forcing on them the knowledge of the age of the fetus and that there's a heartbeat.

Whats twisted is you and the Republican party in favour of forcing a particular procedure on women having an abortion but have no interest in the myriad of other hospital procedures.

I guess I now know what a 'right wing libertarian' is though.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-02-21 04:26:41)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
Am I right in saying that you're playing Devil's Advocate by saying that it's not forcing anyone to have the procedure because it is an elective procedure, despite also saying you agree it is wrong?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, we can always be more creative in our use of the death penalty for mass murderers that actually desire to die.  We could've burned him to death.

The only issue there is the whole "cruel and unusual punishment" thing.  If we modified the cruel part for special cases, then we could truly make an example out of people like McVeigh.
Which would achieve little except to give Sh1fty and lowing hard-ons.
Keeping mass murderers in prison for life doesn't accomplish much either.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6776|Great Brown North

FEOS wrote:

In VA, an ultrasound will be part of the abortion procedure. The woman has a choice whether or not to get an abortion in VA. If she chooses to, it's with the knowledge that she will get an ultrasound.

If you're getting knee surgery, you know you'll get x-rays, CTs, or MRIs beforehand. If you don't like those pre-procedure tests, then you can choose to not get knee surgery.
how is necessary diagnostic imaging the same as having an unneeded procedure demanded?

well you have a cough, i better order xrays of your feet.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5910|...

Legislating rape to deter abortions. Makes sense.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

tuckergustav wrote:

Legislating rape to deter abortions. Makes sense.
troll. It's no more intrusive than the sex they had to get pregnant /sarcasm
eleven bravo
+1,399|5255|foggy bottom
it is when there is a human being inside
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whats twisted is you and the Republican party in favour of forcing a particular procedure on women having an abortion but have no interest in the myriad of other hospital procedures.
You clearly can't read.

Go back and re-read the thread.

I guess I now know what a 'right wing libertarian' is though.
Nah, just like most things...you haven't the foggiest clue.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6407|'Murka

krazed wrote:

FEOS wrote:

how is necessary diagnostic imaging the same as having an unneeded procedure demanded?

well you have a cough, i better order xrays of your feet.
You're about to stick the vacu-suck 2000 in a woman's vagina (with a speculum, of course) and clean out the inside of her uterus. Wouldn't it be a good thing to know that it even needs to be done?

I love the people who have all these opinions about this "horrific" procedure, when they have no clue what it entails.

Do I agree with the legislation or forcing women seeking abortions to have this done? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Let me say that again for those of you who have reading comprehension problems: I do not agree with the legislation and I am pro-choice.

The fact that I can see a medical benefit to having the procedure done--because my wife had the very procedure done before having a DNC, in order to determine the viability of the pregnancy--does not mean I am for the legislation. It simply means that I can see a positive to this, absent the political bullshit, having been through the scenario with my wife...twice.

Is that clear enough for all of you that think I agree with the legislation? Do I need to break it down further? Would stick figures help?

FFS.
― Albert Einstein

Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6729|Cambridge, England
The problem as you so succinctly put it is choice.

ther is no spoone.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Anyone who wants an abortion should face being probed by the govt, anyone who thinks their medical insurance should contribute to their contraception is a slut.

Rush Limbagh wrote:

"What does it say about the college co-ed Susan [sic] Fluke who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex," he said.

"It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She's having so much sex she can't afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex."
These people are beyond nuts, they're positively dangerous.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

In fairness to Rush, Sandra Fluke's argument in favor of government mandated birth control was a massive first world problem.

At a hearing of the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee yesterday, a single witness — Georgetown law student and “reproductive rights activist” Sandra Fluke — told sympathetic policy-makers that the administration’s so-called contraception mandate should stand … because her peers are going broke buying birth control.

“Forty percent of the female students at Georgetown Law reported to us that they struggled financially as a result of this policy (Georgetown student insurance not covering contraception),” Fluke reported.

It costs a female student $3,000 to have protected sex over the course of her three-year stint in law school, according to her calculations.

“Without insurance coverage, contraception, as you know, can cost a woman over $3,000 during law school,” Fluke told the hearing.
Craig Bannister at CNSNews.com did the math — and discovered that these co-eds, assuming they’re using the cheapest possible contraception, must be having sex about three times a day every day to incur that kind of expense. What Fluke is arguing, then, is that her fellow law students have a right to consequence-free sex whenever, wherever. Why, exactly, especially if it costs other people something? When I can’t pay for something, I do without it. Fortunately, in the case of contraception, women can make lifestyle choices that render it unnecessary.
Entitled, privileged, etc. etc. Calling her a slut is a little too far but otherwise she needs a serious reality check.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

also
From the WaPo…`

Fluke came to Georgetown University interested in contraceptive coverage: She researched the Jesuit college’s health plans for students before enrolling, and found that birth control was not included. “I decided I was absolutely not willing to compromise the quality of my education in exchange for my health care,” says Fluke, who has spent the past three years lobbying the administration to change its policy on the issue. The issue got the university president’s office last spring, where Georgetown declined to change its policy.
Cry me a river.

This is one of those instances of the American left, contrary to their positions and how they want people to perceive their party, come off as incredibly elitist and out of touch.

A blog that was linked from hotair puts things in even better perspective.
We also know she is young enough to be on her parents health insurance and if her parents health insurance covered the pill, which most do – then she could go to Wal-Mart and get it for $5.00 month. If not then it runs about $85.00 a month or here is an idea tell the guy he needs to bring a rubber because from the sounds of it God knows where that thing has been and what might be hiding or growing in it.

What else do we know?

Well we also know Georgetown Law is about $45,000.00 a year, housing is around $25,000.00 a year so she is likely spending $70,000.00 per year give or take plus incidentals (food, gas, partying, clothes, nipple rings, whips, chains etc) and this women can’t afford $5.00 or even $85.00 a month? She wants the tax payer to pick up the tab for her promiscuity? Or at the very least the other students? What if the student is gay should they pay for her contraception because sadly she is a breeder?
http://www.angrywhiteguy.com/?p=9566

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-03-02 23:23:33)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
Fluke is a dumbass, but that doesn't change the fact that Rush is still a collossal douchebag.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
Rich white girl whining over $3000 in voluntary living expenses. I'd say he was in the right on this issue.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The government should pay my cable bill for me so that I stay distracted and don't become bored and go on a murderous rampage.

Last edited by Jay (2012-03-03 09:26:04)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
When Santorum calls you out on going too far, I think you've not so much crossed the line as left it glimmering in the distance.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
HITNRUNXX
+220|6706|Oklahoma City
By my calculations, my kids will cost me $42Billion. The government, tax payers, and other parents of the world should write me a check now. Just because. No wait... Bring cash instead.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Rich white girl whining over $3000 in voluntary living expenses. I'd say he was in the right on this issue.
All medical bills are 'voluntary living expenses'.

and

Spark wrote:

When Santorum calls you out on going too far, I think you've not so much crossed the line as left it glimmering in the distance.
Limbaugh is another fruitcake, and he's using the same 'insult people who disagree with you' line of reasoning which makes the GOP hardcore look less than credible.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-03-03 23:45:25)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

Jay wrote:

Maybe she was fighting for more than just herself to receive it?

It's easy to label someone as greedy and lazy though, so just stick with that cause it makes you feel good.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5033|Massachusetts, USA
There are a lot of greedy and lazy people in the US.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

Maybe she was fighting for more than just herself to receive it?

It's easy to label someone as greedy and lazy though, so just stick with that cause it makes you feel good.
Sex is voluntary. Sex when you're not trying to get pregnant is entertainment. That cost is her and her partners to bear, just like the cost of a movie ticket. So no, she has no right to other peoples money just so she can entertain herself.

Now where's my free cable?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its funny that you're riled, are you a net tax-payer yet?
How does this make her a slut or prostitute exactly?

People enjoy eating, and get immensely fat and correspondingly sick, presumably you'll be lining up for your free treatment when the time comes.

Free contraception for the poor wouldn't be such a bad thing I would have thought, and I'd like to see Limbaugh's head explode if someone came up with a bill allowing hookers to claim prophylactics as a deductible business expense.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6729|St. Andrews / Oslo

Jay wrote:

You might agree on the principle (of not funding contraception), but Limbaugh's blatant sexism is shocking, and the attack way over the top and far too personal. It's scary to think that this guy actually influences people. How does he even get air time, jesus.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard