jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
i use keys to manouver and mouse to line up shots in the jet
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

Microwave wrote:

If you want to be good in jets you should be using wasd and arrow keys.

Only use mouse when you're using rocket pods on armour.
wasd and arrow keys

this is some next level shit
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Microwave
_
+515|6653|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Because the keys are either on/off you can outmanoeuvre people using the mouse because they're scrolling. If they are not in a full turn for even a split second you can get behind them. You don't get that with the arrow keys.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
i flew helos on BF2 and BC2 with WASD and arrow keys :3
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black

jord wrote:

i use keys to manouver and mouse to line up shots in the jet
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6342
Unlocked the Air Radar yesterday and it makes all the difference in the world. Together with rockets and extinguisher I´m starting to actually get kills with the jets

Did they upgrade the Stingers tracking though in the last patch? It seems I can hardly out-turn them anymore.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California

Sisco wrote:

Unlocked the Air Radar yesterday and it makes all the difference in the world. Together with rockets and extinguisher I´m starting to actually get kills with the jets
Same here, now I enjoy jets!

I finally got beam scanner and got a few air-to-air kills really easily but unfortunately air radar is a must-have since there's only a forward-looking camera view.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5682|SQUID
I use WASD and mouse when normally flying and for most things, but when I'm doing quick manoeuvres I switch to arrows. Fly with mouse when in Helis.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
I only have just unlocked the IR flares for the jets after several days of trying and failing.
I don't have a single kill yet and got all the necessary points with flag capture assists when crashing near a flag and one kill assist with about 30 points.

I'm really bad in jets in BF3, no matter if I play with WASD and arrow keys or the mouse.
In BF2 I wasn't really better, but after short time, I was used to the handling and could fly around without crashing into the scenery or stalling.

Does anyone of you use a joystick?
Any buying recommendations for a cheap one that has a coolie hat for looking around, throttle, rudder and enough buttons for BF3?
Microwave
_
+515|6653|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Saitek Cyborg Evo is one of the industry standards. But you really can fly with kb/mouse. Just takes practice.

What I've noticed with people new to jets is that they try to do too much. They'll follow an enemy jet and overcommit and crash. They'll try take out a tank, overcommit and crash. Just take it steady, don't worry if you can't keep on the tail of a jet, don't worry if you don't kill the tank in one pass, just don't die!

Fly within your ability and your ability will improve.
Sisco
+493|6342

globefish23 wrote:

I only have just unlocked the IR flares for the jets after several days of trying and failing.
I don't have a single kill yet and got all the necessary points with flag capture assists when crashing near a flag and one kill assist with about 30 points.

I'm really bad in jets in BF3, no matter if I play with WASD and arrow keys or the mouse.
In BF2 I wasn't really better, but after short time, I was used to the handling and could fly around without crashing into the scenery or stalling.

Any buying recommendations for a cheap one that has a coolie hat for looking around, throttle, rudder and enough buttons for BF3?
I started out the same. It´s a stupid grind until you get the good unlocks. I just looked and it took me around 4 hours in total to get where I am now. I crashed a lot in the beginning though. And got shot down even more. Sometimes I died 10 times only to end the round with +100 score on jets, but it was worth it.
And I highly recommend you get used to the mouse. Follow Luciens tip: don´t race the mouse across the pad, but pull it slow and steady. I just out-turned every single foe on caspian, sometimes even two at a time. And aiming is much more precise.
Try to not dive right into the middle of the map. Getting behind a jet without him having seen you is the best way to get kills (or disables more likely) in the beginning.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5682|SQUID
I haven't bothered with Jets that much as I think tanks and mobile AA are the best vehicles in the game, but a good general tip is to fly high and just do loops of the map with the wing turned down and wait till an enemy jet or vehicle comes into sight, try to kill it then go back to doing loops.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
I think the first thing I'll try is to invert the mouse y-axis.
I'm used to the realistic controls for that axis with the arrow keys and joysticks, but with the mouse I want a point-and-click setting.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6651
AA vehicles outrange the height ceiling of the map

AA in mainbase can shoot you down in the middle of the map and they buffed it

and then you get some mong after you while you're already dodging 5 or 6 missiles at a time. instant gg
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5682|SQUID
Yep, much better off in a tank.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Glad I'm not playing on the PC as far as jets go. It's annoying enough with 12 enemy players ALL using Stingers, glad I don't have to deal with 32.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma

Sisco wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

I started out the same. It´s a stupid grind until you get the good unlocks. I just looked and it took me around 4 hours in total to get where I am now. I crashed a lot in the beginning though. And got shot down even more. Sometimes I died 10 times only to end the round with +100 score on jets, but it was worth it.
And I highly recommend you get used to the mouse. Follow Luciens tip: don´t race the mouse across the pad, but pull it slow and steady. I just out-turned every single foe on caspian, sometimes even two at a time. And aiming is much more precise.
Try to not dive right into the middle of the map. Getting behind a jet without him having seen you is the best way to get kills (or disables more likely) in the beginning.
The only thing you need for jets are Air radar, ECM jammer and Rocket Pods.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

- ecm jammer
+ extinguisher
Sisco
+493|6342

mtb0minime wrote:

- ecm jammer
+ extinguisher
^this
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
What's the deal with air radar? It only works half of the time! Sometimes the jet is a barely visible orange shade on the radar, then it's bright orange, and it won't always show when a jet is on your tail. It also seems they have to be at the same altitude to be spotted.

Also, ECM < IR Flares < Extinguisher.

If you know where the missiles are coming from, you can turn towards them and dodge them easily, but if you're hit you're screwed unless you have extinguisher. IR flares are only useful if you can't dodge, and when you get locked onto when it's reloading, what then?

I don't see any point having anything other than extinguisher, air radar, and rocket pods
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

It's too bad they nerfed the air radar a little bit though. No more easy ground unit spotting. Came in handy while in AA. Yet another contribution to how OP AA was.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Also, air radar is a must have if you're on console since you can't look around, which is insanely retarded. We need different views, like a rear-looking camera view and an F12 type from BF2/2142.

Otherwise all those useful things like beam scanner and belt-fed are suicidal choices.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
I find the extinguisher in jets just isn't worth using anymore because the extreme damage that AA missiles do to you, and how little it repairs you. If an AA vehicle fires it's 2 missiles and you can't dodge them at that current time, the first takes you down to 30% health and you're disabled, and regardless of whether you use the extinguisher or not (takes you up to 37% health or something), the 2nd will kill you.

Flares seem to be the only way to go now.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-12-07 02:22:12)

Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6589|Your attic
I think it's more map/server dependant now, I was flying around on Canals last night and the only thing to lock onto me was the occasional igla/stinger which are A) Easy to dodge and B) Not a worry anyway, hell I died more to crashing into things as I'd never really flown on that map before.

I find if I'm playing with friends I can use extinguishers a lot more as if one of them is flying an attack heli we can coordinate a gank run on the mobile AA before it can become a problem. Also if you happen to play on a server like ours which has reduced vehicle spawns there's almost always two jets in the air, which will never shoot you down with missiles but with how powerful the main cannon is can rinse you pretty easily if they blind side you.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268
On a related note I hate instant vehicle respawn.

It ruins everything.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-12-07 02:49:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard