chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6604|Greenwood, IN
Didn't surprise me any.  Just take a look at the meta scores.  It says worlds about professional game reviews now.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6688|Tampa Bay Florida
majority of people who play MW3 simply are not hardcore enough to go to ign.com, other websites or even care at all about what gamers think.  Battlefield is a legacy, CoD is a fad.

Last edited by Spearhead (2011-11-21 21:41:53)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Spearhead wrote:

majority of people who play MW3 simply are not hardcore enough to go to ign.com, other websites or even care at all about what gamers think.  Battlefield is a legacy, CoD is a fad.
i think it speaks more to the fact that BF3 still calls PC gamers its most populous audience, while MW3 is mostly console dudes.  I think the graphics in BF3 are better, and I think the MP in BF3 is better.  Can't speak to the story because I haven't played either, but I enjoyed the COD:MW and WAW single player more than I enjoyed BC2 or BF3 (so far).
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5682|SQUID
I think the BF3 campaign was pretty subpar, a few highlights but overall it was forgettable. CoD has always had fantastic singleplayer experiences up to WaW and MW. Past that it's awful.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
i wouldnt call cod4/5 campaigns fantastic
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5682|SQUID
They were.
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

especially the campaign
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6130|Scotland!

Spearhead wrote:

heard from some pretty credible sources at i44 that IGN are going to pick up bf3 tournaments
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black
How can you guys say BF3 story is subpar? Sure, all the infantry based stuff is pretty repetitive and a bit frustrating on hard mode, but the jet mission? Simply amazing. Never had so much fun and been amazed by such graphics in a CoD game, ever.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Finray wrote:

How can you guys say BF3 story is subpar? Sure, all the infantry based stuff is pretty repetitive and a bit frustrating on hard mode, but the jet mission? Simply amazing. Never had so much fun and been amazed by such graphics in a CoD game, ever.
You mean the jet quicktime event, right?

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-11-22 06:57:43)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6268

Finray wrote:

Because you didn't do anything except point and click when the game said you could, while watching the fireworks in the meantime.

The singleplayer is so very boring, and bad in general.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

BF3 campaign is an on-rails shooter. Literally during the jet mission, but still practically during everything else. Follow their script or die. No room to improvise.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6621|EU

yoohoo, a win! fuck that CoD money farming sequels with all them being same
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
i don't really get how BF3 SP ended up being not-good, if there's one thing they should have borrowed from BC1&2 it should have been how to have an ok/decent SP campaign.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

FatherTed wrote:

i don't really get how BF3 SP ended up being not-good, if there's one thing they should have borrowed from BC1&2 it should have been how to have an ok/decent SP campaign.
BC2 singleplayer wasn't exactly anything to write home about... It was nice having good hitreg for once though... lol
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
it wasn't much below the recent MW offerings, and BC1's was actually quite fun
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

Finray wrote:

It was subpar, it was boring. I don't even know why I completed it. At one point I even googled at what stage I was at so I knew how much longer I had to endure. The story was cliche and tedious and the gameplay was lackluster. I wasn't impressed with the jet mission and the only part I enjoyed out of the entire campain was the 5 seconds in which you drive a tank through a building. That was midly entertaining as something to do once...
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6773|Noizyland

I don't think the BF3 single player was bad, it was adequate and at times a little disappointing with a few bright spots. The jet mission looked and felt fantastic until it wore off and you realised that you were just along for the ride and an untrained monkey could play it. Many times you also felt that you were in the way and rather than playing as Sergeant Blackburn you were Private Derp, the soldier who's parents sent him to war hoping he'd die, the soldier who just keeps getting in everyone's way. The quicktime events were also unnecessary and clumsy. Acting on that Russian guy's request to shoot your squad leader - I had to re-start that a number of times because I never got the timing right. Also I think it's a bit rich for the government stooges to criticise me for killing him when he killed me about six or seven times.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it felt like an epic war game and in those times the campaign was almost worth it but it fell down in so many other areas, mostly due to the restrictive nature or needlessly scripted events. Developers needed to realise what is fun and what isn't - crawling around feeling like you're evading enemy soldiers in a ruined part of town can be considered fun. Hitting a button at the right time to stab a rat when failure results in death? Not fun. Battling across a wide expanse and evading a jet? Yeah I can get behind that. Hitting the fire button at the right time in order to progress the plot when failure results in you going over what amounts to a cutscene over and over again? Fail.

BF3 won the graphics and multiplayer votes fair and square in my opinion, I imagine what tipped the scales on the campaign vote is the simple fact that BF3's campaign felt fresher than MW3's fifth outing in its current format. Call of Duty has been getting stale for a while and it's getting noticed more and more, that's just an inevitability. Maybe it'll make the series shake things up for its next outing? A nice thought but I think the sales figures suggest that they won't bother.

In the meantime, viva la BF3!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
quicktime events need to die of plox
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard