SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6676|The darkside of Denver

Uzique wrote:

you won't regret the decision to get a mechanical. just make sure you do your research and get one with switches best-suited to your everyday uses. don't get a keyboard with cherry mx black switches if you're going to be doing a lot of typing, or browsing. your fingers will not thank you for it. but yeah, lemme know how you get on with that. your keyboard at the end of the day is your main interface and point-of-contact to your computer, and i think it makes a lot of difference (tangible and intangible) when you have a quality piece of tech on your desktop.

nice builds like that always make me hardware horny for a new GPU or something. then i remember there are no games anywhere near worth the £400 graphics card cost. such a shame that pretty much every single game released in the DX10/DX11 generation has sucked balls. the best games are games i could still play on max settings with my trusty 8800GTX. graphics quality has increased, but gameplay has gone down the toilet for the 'oooh pretty!' appeal.
I hear ya.  It's REALLY hard to justify spending the money with the current trend in gaming.  But I guess I do it for "the build"... Love the feeling of building a new system... the smell of new parts, the anticipation, the challenges..

I still need to look into the mechanical switches more.  I dont know enough about them yet.  All I know is that I need a new keyboard and everyone says mechanical is the way to go. 

Also, glad you're back man.  It was getting kinda boring without you here!
baggs
+732|6221
Sonder that is sexy!

Hi Aaron x
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
hi xoxo

sonder throw me a message when you're thinking of buying one and i'll hook you up with some good suggestions.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SonderKommando
Cool man, thanks!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada

SonderKommando wrote:

Uzique wrote:

pretty. what did you upgrade from? that sorta build is a one-in-every-5-years for me.

edit: all you need now is a decent keyboard!
To be quite honest Uzi, you've inspired me to get a mechanical.  Wifey is getting me one for Xmas.  My keyboard at home isn't bad but its aging..  The keyboard and other stuff in the pic is my workstation. I did the build at the office since all my tools were here and we have a proper lab.

I also prob didnt need to upgrade (old rig X58,i7 920,6GB DDR3,300GB Velociraptors RAID 0,ATI 5850), just got the itch to build a NIIIICE system.  Had a good year too (professionally), thought I would reward myself.

I'll prob sell the old rig, or just hold on to it, havent got that far yet.

Whiteroom, yea, it looks super tiny, lol!

*One thing I love the most about this new build is how quiet it is.  Coming from the Antec 900 with two 10K RPM drives and push pull Sycthe Mugen cooler to this case with the SSD's and the Corsair water cooler is like night and day.

I think the 580 is quieter than the 5850. Although I havent put the card under load yet.
Yeah, my old 5850 was so loud until I put a waterblock on it. Those stock GPU fans can be the most annoying things in a build.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
stock GPU fan on my 6870 sounds like a hovercraft on full-spin, but i never have to take it above 35-40% tbh, even with overclocks.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada
Yeah, I put mine up to 100 for shits and giggles and it was stupid loud. I'll be getting something like the Asus Direct CUII or MSI twin frozer for the next card
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6487
my GPU card on full spin just fucks up the airflow of my case / cpu heatsink with all that air blowing out the exhaust... i have no idea why GPU fans go to such ridiculously high RPM's when they can withstand 80-85 degree temps anyway.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6491|Foothills of S. Carolina

https://i41.tinypic.com/oeqs6.jpg

My new build, after replacing a bad hard drive last night.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

SonderKommando wrote:

Starting my build.  This is from yesterday:

Installed teh SSD's to the hot swap bays and then installed the basic stuff.  Going to get the 580 3072mb today and also run the PSU\cable management.  Memtest overnight to let it all kinda burn in and test... then install OS on Saturday!

Gotta say, the 800d is a fucking great case, absolute dream to build in.

Card just arrived
Gratz on the 580. I would've got one if it weren't for the fact that we're so late into the GTX 5x0 line. 570 runs fast enough for me anyway.
SonderKommando

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Installed teh SSD's to the hot swap bays and then installed the basic stuff.  Going to get the 580 3072mb today and also run the PSU\cable management.  Memtest overnight to let it all kinda burn in and test... then install OS on Saturday!

Card just arrived
Gratz on the 580. I would've got one if it weren't for the fact that we're so late into the GTX 5x0 line. 570 runs fast enough for me anyway.
That's why I went with EVGA, step up program  

Nice build Canin!
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6670

SonderKommando wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Card just arrived

Nice build Canin!
Mad jelly.  I wish I would've waited so I'd have a 3gb 580 instead of the 1.5...you won't be disappointed though, it will run everything on high/ultra at 60fps by itself.

Side note, I had a friend swear to me that he got them to do the step-up on a card older than 90 days, but he says it was a while ago, and doesn't know "if they still would do that"...anyone have similar experiences or is he just full of BS?  Because I'd get the 3gb card in a heartbeat if they'd let me....
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
SonderKommando

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Nice build Canin!
Mad jelly.  I wish I would've waited so I'd have a 3gb 580 instead of the 1.5...you won't be disappointed though, it will run everything on high/ultra at 60fps by itself.

Side note, I had a friend swear to me that he got them to do the step-up on a card older than 90 days, but he says it was a while ago, and doesn't know "if they still would do that"...anyone have similar experiences or is he just full of BS?  Because I'd get the 3gb card in a heartbeat if they'd let me....
I suppose you could try. I'm hoping I'm not too early for the 6 series... I plan on adding a second 580 3072mb in a few weeks after I get my reimbursement from work for my net+ exam.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5805|Catherine Black

SonderKommando wrote:

I think the 580 is quieter than the 5850. Although I havent put the card under load yet.
If it's anything like the rest of the range, it'll be quiet at idle compared to ATi, but with both of them at 100% the ATi card usually comes out quieter.

E: before anyone throws a paragraph and 3 pages of graphs at me, I'm just saying that's a very, very general trend.

Last edited by Finray (2011-11-07 08:51:51)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Benzin
+576|6015
Yea, but there's no reason to get the cooler up to 100% unless you're really overclocking...
SonderKommando
Even under load it seems miles quieter than my 5850....
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5766|شمال
my cards sounds like a jumbojet taking off  QQ
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Benzin
+576|6015

Beduin wrote:

Use the fan controller software that handles fan speed automatically. Surely your manufacturer has something available...
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6302|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

CapnNismo wrote:

Beduin wrote:

Use the fan controller software that handles fan speed automatically. Surely your manufacturer has something available...
That should be built in to the driver's software suite shouldn't it?
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Benzin
+576|6015

FloppY_ wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Beduin wrote:

You mean the drivers from ATi or Nvidia? Not entirely sure on that one... I have ASUS Smart Doctor running in the background that I use to manage fan speed (just set it to automatic and forget it). The GTX460 can get pretty loud at full speed, but it only ever gets to about 75% and it holds temps at 68-70°C while playing BF3.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6302|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

CapnNismo wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

You mean the drivers from ATi or Nvidia? Not entirely sure on that one... I have ASUS Smart Doctor running in the background that I use to manage fan speed (just set it to automatic and forget it). The GTX460 can get pretty loud at full speed, but it only ever gets to about 75% and it holds temps at 68-70°C while playing BF3.
Catalyst control center auto-throttles fans unless you force a certain %

Most Asus motherboards come with software to auto-throttle case and CPU fans like most other "gaming" motherboards.

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-11-08 14:22:15)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5766|شمال

CapnNismo wrote:

Beduin wrote:

its the cards. i dont set the fans manually. plus having them stacked upon each other dose not help either.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6223

Uzique wrote:

you won't regret the decision to get a mechanical. just make sure you do your research and get one with switches best-suited to your everyday uses. don't get a keyboard with cherry mx black switches if you're going to be doing a lot of typing, or browsing. your fingers will not thank you for it. but yeah, lemme know how you get on with that. your keyboard at the end of the day is your main interface and point-of-contact to your computer, and i think it makes a lot of difference (tangible and intangible) when you have a quality piece of tech on your desktop.

nice builds like that always make me hardware horny for a new GPU or something. then i remember there are no games anywhere near worth the £400 graphics card cost. such a shame that pretty much every single game released in the DX10/DX11 generation has sucked balls. the best games are games i could still play on max settings with my trusty 8800GTX. graphics quality has increased, but gameplay has gone down the toilet for the 'oooh pretty!' appeal.
I get you 100%.

I built my rig for BF3, after all the feedback that I would need 3x580's to run it I settled on a single one thinking I can always upgrade, and ofcourse I needed an i5/i7.

Only now it turns out my old Q9450 gets the same FPS.
SonderKommando
she's finally done.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12050/IMAG0317.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12050/IMAG0318.jpg
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6328

SonderKommando wrote:

she's finally done.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12050/IMAG0317.jpg