jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
They can do if your own team doesn't have jets flying about and they can just pummel you with rocket pods and guided missles and shit.

Armour wins conquest large, but if the enemy has jets you need jets too, i suppose therein lies the teamwork element.

Last edited by jord (2011-11-13 09:28:14)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6651
there's just an actual skill requirement for jets to be useful.

Rush jets (the a-10 and frogfoot) blow up tanks in a single quick burst. those are strong enough

conquest jets with rocket pods can do about 75% damage to a tank, and kill it outright if attacking from behind.

when Yoda and me team up in jets we rape ground vehicles sideways
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

Yea but anytime I see jets flying around, all they are doing is engaging in air to air combat. I rarely see a teammate swoop down and destroy a tank for me. They are all preoccupied with taking down other jets (which rarely pose a threat to ground forces, because of what I stated earlier).
thepilot91
+64|6234|Åland!

UnkleRukus wrote:

Whats the point in flying when you rarely get kills. Jets still dont add anything to teamplay either.
feel the same , laser missiles are fucking pathetic, slow and weak , bet a javelin does more damage, give me either 2 of them to fire or damage ATLEAST like in the beta or make the mg better with some splash damage (like the choppergun/ bf2 jets)
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
The thing I have noticed is this rock-paper-scissors scenario plays out pretty regularly when there are decent jet and helo pilots on opposing sides: jet>helo>tank.  So, if the helo players on the other teams are good, a decent jet player can make a big difference.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Spotters make a difference for the jets. You can't see shit otherwise. Active spotters cue the jets for air to ground runs, making them more useful from a tem perspective. If there aren't any spotters, all they can do is flu around looking for targets, hoping something will appear.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6403|Earth

FEOS wrote:

Spotters make a difference for the jets. You can't see shit otherwise. Active spotters cue the jets for air to ground runs, making them more useful from a tem perspective. If there aren't any spotters, all they can do is flu around looking for targets, hoping something will appear.
^This exactly. If somebody spots a tank for me I can disable it at the very least 9 times out of 10. But when you are flying around up there and nothing is being spotting there isn't much you can do to ground forces.
Signature
Microwave
_
+515|6653|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Spotting in a jet is easy though, you seem to pick up anything in the radius of your larger crosshair. I just spam Q when I'm flying around.

Just started getting into jets, they seem to have a pretty steep learning curve but when you get the hang of it it's so easy to take out armour. Rocket pods are amazing. Annoying thing is is that whenever I'm flying around it feels like 99% of the time someone has a lock on me
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
mashing q seems to be a good alternative to teamwork when flying
Ryan
+1,230|6841|Alberta, Canada

I find that also, I go up really high so that I can fly downward toward the action and mash the spot button in hopes of identifying a target before I run outta airspace and hit the ground.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5471|Ventura, California

Ryan wrote:

I find that also, I go up really high so that I can fly downward toward the action and mash the spot button in hopes of identifying a target before I run outta airspace and hit the ground.
That's what I do as well.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
Heck, spotting is useful for everyone--jets, helos, tanks, infantry...
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

RAIMIUS wrote:

^implies some level of teamwork. Which I haven't seen outside of organized rounds with TS or some other enabler.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5751|Roma

Ryan wrote:

Or just use air radar, it will also spot enemy tanks and stuff.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Doesn't air radar only show the vehicles directly below you? Plus without the 3D spotting you have to visually locate the vehicle and you have less time to line up a shot once it's spotted.

Do the air-to-ground laser-guided missiles disable vehicles in one hit? If so, couldn't you lock on and fire, then finish it off easily with cannons? I'd assume making one missile hit it's target is easier than trying to get a full rocket salvo to hit. Then you have to line up the MG.
Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6169|New Austin, Not
AGMs are not one hit disables on armored vehicles. Only on ITVs for the most part. They nerfed it from beta. Found rocket pods much better for some reason.
Pure_Beef_68
Pure_beef_69 -1
+20|5951
Guided missiles are shit, they really need to be buffed. In fact, i'd like to see the jets being more powerful in general. It should be a quick burst of the gun or 2 rockets from the pods to kill inf. As for GM's it should be one to disable, two to destroy.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US

FEOS wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

^implies some level of teamwork. Which I haven't seen outside of organized rounds with TS or some other enabler.
True.  The current voice/squad system leaves teamwork to pure chance and coincidence.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Planes shouldn't have to make more than one pass to destroy a vehicle. I think BF2's one-hit-kill TV guided missiles and jet bombs made the game a lot more interesting. The planes should dominate the skies and get 50-0 kills. One player shouldn't be able to take the jets out as well, which is the current system with the IR flare reload rate and IGLA/Stinger reload rate, I like that it takes more than one person to take out jets. Jets should be OP, then helis, then tanks, IFVs, HMMWVs/Vodniks, infantry
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
nice risk/reward balance there shifty.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I don't quite know how to put it to words but it's whatever BF2's system used that I enjoyed most. I think the only thing that needed to be improved in BF2 as far as rock-paper-scissors goes is buffing AA pod lock-on range and mobile AA lock-on range.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Doing pretty good with jets. I almost have the rocket pods unlocked and I'm really looking forward to air radar so I can fight properly.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Not entirely true, once you unlock the air radar, it shows up enemy and friendly vehicles on the minimap for you (with quite good range too). When you're flying low enough it shows ground targets too. It gives you the general location of targets and from there on it's easy to spot it yourself so it shows up on your HUD. Unless you have a team you can trust to always spot things for you, using air radar is a must.

Also slow down, come in from far away and give yourself plenty of time to spot things and start attacking them. Using the gun from far is useless, it has quite a short range in the game, you can get two salvo's of rockets in usually and a burst from the gun before things get a little too slow and close for comfort (yes, I've been knocked out of the sky by tanks before, and enemy AA vehicles will shit on your face) - two salvo's and a burst, as long as it's accurate enough, is usually good to take out tanks even from the front.

What you do is fly over the map low enough, look at where enemy vehicles are, memorise them and then fly out far and high, once you turn around for your bombing/strafe/rocket run you should have a general idea from your low run before as to where everything is, vehicles don't move that fast. Spam Q in the general direction of what you want to take out, most of the time it comes up nicely, from there on spam the rockets and guns

This is all assuming you have air superiority, otherwise priority is always enemy jets. Helicopters aren't necessarily second

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2011-11-20 14:46:52)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Why not just use the air to ground missiles?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England
Because they're shit, take long to reload, enemy tanks can smoke to break the lock, also the camera limits your field of view and situational awareness, easy to get nailed in the arse when using that. They're much worse than the rocket pods. If they were much stronger they'd be good anti vehicle weapons but they got nerfed quite badly after the beta, apparently they're getting better in the patch, we'll see.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard