NAthANSmitt
Stud
+4|6099
I know that this is a few days early but with work and school I don't know when Ill be near a computer.

If this turns into a flame war, Muslim/Religion bashing, or conspiracy theory thread I respectfully request a mod take it down. None of the victims or first responders deserve that.

I remember I was in elementary school at the time, I believe it was the 3rd or 4th grade. My memory is a little hazy but I remember the class being led into the school library where a TV was turned to the news. I was just thinking "what'evs I'm not in class". Then thats when they had the footage of the 2nd impact on the second tower. I don't think the real severity of it hit me until they let school out for the rest of the day to let us go home to be with our families.
Roc18
`
+655|5761|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
1st week of middle school. Saw a person walk into the classroom and talked to my math teacher in the hallway. When he walked back into the room, he was crying, upset and wouldn't tell us what happened. I didn't figure out until I got home and turned on the TV and saw the buildings, and the TV was like that for 3-4 months.

I grew up in NY so this hit close to home. My dad works in the city and that year we were planning on visiting the World Trade Center.

Last edited by Roc18 (2011-09-08 10:04:18)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

At work, watching it happen live on TV. The floor was full of ppl, yet all silent staring at the TV wall totally hypnotized. Some office bitch started yapping at one counter  "Can I get some service here?!". Almost used my volleyball bat on her face. Felt sick of it when the towers came down, especially since I had been up there about 6 months earlier.

https://img15.imageshack.us/img15/967/isotalo.png
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y
biology class in 10th grade about an hr after it happened. we watched the tv coverage for the rest of the day in all the classes. went home and smoked about 5 joints with my boys to honor the victims
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y

Ultrafunkula wrote:

At work, watching it happen live on TV. The floor was full of ppl, yet all silent staring at the TV wall totally hypnotized. Some office bitch started yapping at one counter  "Can I get some service here?!". Almost used my volleyball bat on her face. Felt sick of it when the towers came down, especially since I had been up there about 6 months earlier.
volleyball bat?
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5720|شمال
I was eating lunch at home. I remember seeing the first tower in flames while the second plane hit the second tower. I thought it was fake the first few minutes , but after seeing the looks on some faces in the tv, i realized it was real.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

i was in CA - went on a PT run in the Marines - came back showered up and flipped the tv on, first tower had already been hit and saw live the second tower get hit

our base went on lock down

called my mom back in NC and they immediately turned the radio over to news
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

6th grade. In Mrs.McGill's class. We were doing English. I was sitting next Casey Mellish by the teachers desk. We both had by that time a reputation for being trouble makers so the teacher wanted us close. She went outside to speak to another teacher for a second before coming back in and telling us nonchalantly that "terrorist with a plane attacked the twin towers". While walking back to her desk. I was playing Syphon Filter 2 and Rainbow 6 online at the time so I thought of terrorist with mask and AKs getting off of a plane and taking hostages. All of the parents took the kids home from school early and when I got home I was watching the ABC news coverage of the incident. Whether they had fallen or not at that point escapes my usually sharp memory. A little layer I got on the msn gaming zone to play R6 and remember a bunch of stupid little game lobbies named stop the terrorist at the airport. Airport being a map in R6.

I also remembering my mother taking me with her to go pick up my cousin from daycare. My aunt worked, and stills works, right across the street from the WTC in some lawfirm and was awol. My uncle also worked in NYC and was trapped there for a few hours. I remember the dumb patriotic people along the roads with signs with God bless America ans drop the bomb written on them. The only other thing that was of note was seeing my aunt covered in dust from the WTC when she came to pick up my cousin.

The attacks really didn't me, I just have a good memory.

Hate to sound callous buy I wish America would stop the public mourning crap every year...
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

SEREMAKER wrote:

i was in CA - went on a PT run in the Marines - came back showered up and flipped the tv on, first tower had already been hit and saw live the second tower get hit
I was 20.  Just moved back from hanging out for the summer in college town.  My mom ran into my room and turned on the tv.  We sat on my bed and watched as the 2nd plane hit.  It was so surreal. I remember thinking that we were witnessing something big, because there was no way this could be a coincidence.(this was obviously before we really knew what was happening)
13rin
+977|6449
At FSU but in bed.  Got up for a smoke and my neighbor yelled up stairs that the "Sons-of-bitches got us.  Turn on the TV!!"
"what channel?"
"doesn't matter!"
Turned on the tv and saw the second plane hit.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i was at work. on the radio, i heard a plane had flew into one of the towers. i was delivering computers and A/V equipment to our convention center. when i pulled up to the dock, one of the Salt Palace guys recognized me, and said "Hey, do you have any TV's today?" i said i had a tv-vcr combo, for the Boeing people. [the convention space was divided, half was taken by the Aerospace hosted by Thiokol. the other half was taken by a life insurance convention.]

the salt palace guy got a power strip and a cable, we hooked up the tv. the second plane had hit on my way into the dock. a crowd gathered around the tv, i went to find the people i had equipment for. from the life insurance convention, i could not find a guy i had a laptop for (they were pretty rare in 2001, i was supposed to get a signature for it asap.) i went back to the dock, and i heard a yell.

it was the guy that ordered the laptop, watching the tv. when someone asked him what was the matter, he said his office was on the 42nd floor of the north tower. he said he needed to get out and i never saw him again. the Boeing guy said he understood why i hooked up his tv, and signed for it anyways - he told me leave it as long as the salt palace would have it out there.

i went to Manhattan in April of 2008, and visited a hole in the ground. people were trying to get close to the chain link fence, and when i got close i could see a group in fatigues. we waited while they paid their respects, and i took a picture as they walked away.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/photos/5043.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
5th grade. dont remember much about the day besides watching the tv
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

I had just woken up and ate breakfast as the first tower went down. Got dressed and went to school. Couldn't believe.
Or maybe it was a replay they were showing. Or maybe I didn't see it go down until later at school.

All I remember is it not sinking in until much later.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2011-09-08 12:37:13)

Christbane
+51|6205
I was playing Diablo 2 and people keep saying that the twin towers were being attacked. I thought it was just people trolling. I turned the news on just in time to see the 2nd tower get hit
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6710
Was at home watching on TV after the first plane hit thinking god what an awful accident, then the second plane hit, stunned for most of that day just stunned.

Last edited by paranoid101 (2011-09-08 13:03:16)

Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6776|Orlando, FL - Age 43
I was in my apartment watching it with horror. It had just so happened that my former wife and I had taken a trip two weeks earlier up the east coast. We had stopped in DC and had taken a walk around the pentagon. We then traveled to a family reunion in New York...and of course one of the places we went while there was up to the top of the WTC. We were blown away that we had missed being there by such a short time.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6680|Oklahoma City
6th day on the job disseminating information between local law enforcement and federal government agencies. I became an expert at my job that day.

The first reports came off the teletype as "A plane struck one of the World Trade Center Towers" and we had just watched a special about how several of the skyscrapers had been hit by planes over the last 100 years. Most of those were small bi-planes that only killed the pilot and sometimes a passenger.
Even when the Empire State Building was hit by a ten ton B-25, it only killed 14 people (including the 3-man crew on the plane). That is tragic, but not a huge deal (hence, no one remembers/talks about it).

We thought it was going to be a minor-ish deal like those... Then the teletypes started going nuts and then the video coverage started.

And then the second plane hit and we all realized it was an attack... Sick feeling.

Last edited by HITNRUNXX (2011-09-08 14:19:53)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I had just gotten to my permanent duty station in the army. We had a pt test that morning and while waiting to get weighed everyones cell phone started going off at the same time. We were dismissed for the day so I went to my friends room (didn't have a tv yet) and watched the second tower come down. It was surreal. The next day me and three other New Yorkers begged our first sergeant to send us home to help with the recovery. We were denied.

Fort Hood has never been the same since. It used to be a completely open base where anyone could drive on or off. From that day since there have been guards checking the IDs of all entrants. Lots of stuff in this country will, sadly, never be the same.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6443|Kakanien
i went over to a friend's house at 2 pm cet (= 8 am est) to smoke weed like every day. we watched tv for 12 hrs straight til 2 am cet. being stoned made it all even more surreal
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
I swear we do this every year.

Fifth grade, homeroom. Teacher's phone rings, she takes the call. When she comes back in she tells us that a plane has hit the WTC and she turned on NPR. We were all pretty damn confused to say the least. Most of the day I just didn't really get what was going on until my dad picked me up early and I got home. Even watching it on TV it seemed surreal. I don't think it really hit me till I watched Bush's address to the nation. I remember very clearly hearing fighter jets flying around at night, keeping us safe.

As corny as this sounds, that was the day I learned what the word "casualty" meant.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

Jay wrote:

I had just gotten to my permanent duty station in the army. We had a pt test that morning and while waiting to get weighed everyones cell phone started going off at the same time. We were dismissed for the day so I went to my friends room (didn't have a tv yet) and watched the second tower come down. It was surreal. The next day me and three other New Yorkers begged our first sergeant to send us home to help with the recovery. We were denied.

Fort Hood has never been the same since. It used to be a completely open base where anyone could drive on or off. From that day since there have been guards checking the IDs of all entrants. Lots of stuff in this country will, sadly, never be the same.
kinda same with MCAGCC .... getting on base only consisted of having some sorta of ID ....... now-a-days a bit different
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

working on an army base at the time, heard the news, went downstairs to watch it with some of the solders in in the cafe, then got out of dodge
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

2001 was my first year at high school. I remember waking up on September 12th to the sounds of my folks' radio, which always wakes me up because I know after that point it's only a few short minutes before my dad bursts in, punches the light switch and either starts singing or otherwise joyously announcing that I have to get up. The radio was a bit louder than usual and I could hear the muffled voices of my folks talking but all I cared about was that it looked like I had scored myself a lie-in. Eventually curiosity got the better of me and I got up and went into my folks room, both of them stitting on the side of the bed listening to the radio with concerned looks on their faces. I listened for a bit and it dawned on me that something pretty big was happening so I went downstairs and turned on the TV and just gawked at the footage of what had happened. Was late getting to school and I kept listening to this little pocket FM radio that I had where all the radio hosts really didn't know what to say except to just go over what happened again and again and again.

Other than that it was a pretty normal day for me. A seagull shat on me I remember.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California
I was drinking orange juice and sitting on the couch watching spongebob before going to school when we got a call saying school was closed for the day (It was a private school) and my mom turned on the news. Very sad day

I was 8
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
Beginning of 4th grade. My teacher had left and we were all playing board games with a teacher's aide in the room. Slowly over the course of an hour kids were consistently being picked up, and being the naive 4th grader I was I was loving it just being able to play games all day. Then of course, I'm the next to get picked up after about 8 kids or so leave. I guess my teacher was in the teacher's lounge and was returning to the classroom to check on us when I was on my way out, and I said "I don't know why I'm going home but I like it!" or something to the sort. I will never, ever forget the look on his face. Not for the rest of my life. My 3rd grade teacher from the year prior was obviously in the teacher's lounge as well, and I always remembered her telling us her son worked on the 104th floor of the south tower, or as my teacher had put it, "the one without the really big antenna". That was pretty much the first thing I thought of, and in the end he did end up dying on that day. I went into the lobby and my mom told me what happened, and I got incredibly upset just at the thought of it all. I'll never forget seeing several jets in the sky, and even seeing one turn on a dime. That as well as almost every single channel being switched to a broadcast channel's news.

The following day we found out our neighbor's sister was killed in one of the planes (I believe). We could also smell the smoke that had drifted eastward towards Long Island.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard