Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
My pc has started to freeze randomly.
When it happens everything on the screen is frozen, none of the keys work, but the sound keeps on playing (with a bit of a stutter now and then).
So i reboot it using the switch on the back. Mos of the time it starts back up like usual but sometimes it freezes when trying to reboot or shows a screen full of windows commands or some shit (lots of lines, didnt see what they said)

I have already done a system restore back to when it wasnt freezing, but that didnt work.
So maybe its the hardware.

Is my PC dying?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6166|Sydney | ♥

Prime 95 it.

Prime 95 is a software that puts the bugger under stress, so you can see if it is a hardware (parts inside the computer) that is failing, and not the operating system.

If it crashes (not just becomes a lil slow, like fully freeze) when you run it, then you can move onto testing other parts.

...the next to test is usually the RAM, so pull out memtest, and run it for at least 1 cycle, though 2 is preffered. --> if you get errors, then test spare ram that you know works in the slots, run the memtest again. If you have no errors this time around, you can determine that it is the old ram. If you get errors again it's your mobo.

If you get no errors for each, then it [i]could[/i[] be your CPU, though those are unlikely to fail unless pushed on an overclock.

If you seem like it's reeeally not working, format the beast and see if the issues keep happening.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Sturgeon
+488|4933|Flintshire
run malwarebytes to see if you've got anything slowing it down.

You could also run ccleaner to free up some space, fix your registry etc.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
i'll try the prime 95 thing later today

thanks
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

Sounds like CPU overheating. Its probably not the software if you have restored. Use mother board monitor or somethink like it or go into your bios and check your cpu temp.
You need to check if their is any dust in the cooler. Just blow through it and see if much comes out. Also the fans on the cooler might have a layer of dust on them which messes with the airflow.
Remember to allways blow, never suck
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
first two possibilities to eliminate before you do any stress tests:
1. memory failure - with memsets86+ f.e.
2. hard drive failure - you can usually download an utility from you hdd manufacturer's site.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
Itrs probably because i have a premade PC and upgraded it.
I have a dell xps420, but i have added/replaced certain parts because, well, i had to upgrade.

If i buy a new case, motherboard and processor and take all the new added parts from my xps420 i practically have a new custom built PC. This is always an option.
I could even take the disc drives from my XPS420 so it wouldnt be that expensive to do.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia

Kampframmer wrote:

Itrs probably because i have a premade PC and upgraded it.
I have a dell xps420, but i have added/replaced certain parts because, well, i had to upgrade.
don't let yourself be bothered by all the crap with brandname computers - those aren't different in any way save prices and fancy logo's. do your tests, starting with memory, you'll figure it out.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5742|شمال
RIP then
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
okey, so i didnt run that memtest yet because i was being lazy, but now it froze in the middle of a sc2 game. Im fucking pissed and now i want to know what the fuck is goin on with this thing in and how the fuck i can fix it.

stupid piece of shit pc
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
I ahve no clue how to run the memtest. 1 of the download files is a .iso. I tried mounting it, but there was this file that coudlnt open because of some security shit.
The other openened with vlc fro some reason and the third wanted some shit with an USB Boot.

Im just not techy enough to fix these kind of things.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6430|King Of The Islands

It's a bootable disc, you need to burn it.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
aw shit.
Why does everything have to be so complicated (or at least, to me it is)?

I might just check the prices for buying a new PC. If its not too high i could just go for that. I dont wnat to upgrade this one, knowing that its fucked anyway
Cheez

Burn it with Nero, restart. Wait for flashing crazy red crap.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
oh okey, i'll try that.
thanks
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
Shit. It tells me i need a DVD-R/RW and i only have DVD-R.

Fuck
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6455|cuntshitlake

mount it on a usb stick and boot from that
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Cheez

Kampframmer wrote:

i only have DVD-R.
Me too. Fuck yeah, beige.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
another possible cause for the problem you have - and a very common one: faulty capacitors on your motherboard. how to check:

open the case and look carefully at the main board. see if any capacitors - those small aluminium caps - look like those "leaking capacitors" in the pic bellow.

https://www.penngeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bad_motherboard.jpg

a bad capacitor is doomed or exploded on the cap and a good capacitor is flat.

if you find any, you motherboard is about to give up ghost. technically, it's possible to replace the capacitors, but that requires some skills and could be a lot a hassle for somebody who has no experience with stuff like this. that also doesn't always fix the problem, so if that is the case with your pc i'd recommend you get a new mainboard.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
It says that an error occured when executing syslinux. says the drive wont be bootable

e: nvm. It didnt give an error when i used a different one

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-06-26 04:06:57)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
Then again, it doesnt say Vista in the list of windows behind the USBbootable memtest
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
All the capactiros look alright.
Too bad really. Replacing a part wouldve made it really easy to fix.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
If all else fails and you can't seem to find the hardware issue, last resort is to try a complete format and reinstall (back everything up first of course) and see if that does anything. Sounds like a bit of a shot in the dark though.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4834|Amsterdam
I ran memtest today up to 10 passes with 0 errors.

But yeah, if all else fails i'll reinstall windows (upgrade it from vista to 7 as well while im at it)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard