Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
And for some brighter TF2 news than it's further accelerated demise in a swamp of promotional items.

In the latest beta update there is a new user friendly replay system that allows you to edit films and directly upload them to youtube.

Generally the beta is the place where we do design testing, so the game itself is fairly stable. But today we’re releasing a large update specifically for the purpose of stability testing. In particular, we’re testing out our new Replay system, which has been in the works for over a year. As a result, a large amount of code has changed. We wanted to ship it to the beta first, where we can get the bugs ironed out, before we move it out to the main TF2 branch. So please jump in and take a look – we’d love to hear feedback on the UI as well as any bugs you run into.

Also, we'll be wiping all items in the beta at some point in the near future. We will re-grant the achievement items, and any items we're actively tuning afterward.
Here are some example videos that have been made to show off it's abilities.

The first has a long loading sequence you should skip through.

There also seems to be a new coaching system for helping new players although I'm not sure how it works yet. This is all that has been said about it.

# Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)
# Added in-game Coaching system
# Added in-game Voting system
# Added training for the Demoman, Spy and Engineer

Coaching

* Fix issue where player loses student status, which prevented them from kicking a coach
    * Rate limit coach commands to once per second
    * Do not show coaching annotations if they are attached to an object that is NOT the same team as the student, unless the object is in view.
    * Fix glow around former students
    * Notify coach when their student has died
    * Coach and student can now only voice chat with each other
Seems pretty interesting. They're also going to wipe all items except the original class pack achievement items soon so it'll look nice, run nice, play nice. And you can make cool replays.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
I think eXtine said something about that you can sign up to be a coach, then people in-game can call for a coach, and you can spectate them and guide/point out things.

I wonder if coaches take up a server slot..
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6741|FUCK UBISOFT

coaching doesn't make sense to me in an FPS.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
what's the use of such a feature at this stage in the game? do valve really think that a massive influx of new competitive gamers are being seduced by tf2 in its current state? who needs coaching? the only people that are playing this game, still, and giving a fuck about skill are the same people that have been playing for the last couple of years. the tf2 competitive community has been insular, stagnant and self-reliant for far too long now for valve to reconnect it with the casual, public majority. they basically play two entirely separate games.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269

Uzique wrote:

what's the use of such a feature at this stage in the game? do valve really think that a massive influx of new competitive gamers are being seduced by tf2 in its current state? who needs coaching?

Miggle wrote:

coaching doesn't make sense to me in an FPS.
I think the point of it is

a) To test the feature out for Dota 2, they said when that was announced that it would have a coaching feature to make it more newbie friendly than the old mods were. ie instead of veterans getting angry at a new player ruining their game, there'd be coaches to help them get into it instead. That sort of thing.

and b) not to coach people for high level play, but to introduce newcomers to tf2 to try and counter the feeling of being overwhelmed that new players feel because of the incredibly large influx of new items, and those undocumented things that everyone should know but might not be obvious to someone new. Like crouch jumping for example, or the fact that healing when someone is at full health fills the ubercharge bar slower. I dunno, that sort of thing I guess.

I think it's mostly for Dota 2 though. How is Dota anyway I know nothing about it and as a result I'm not interested in it in the slightest just now.

I'm going to download the beta to play with the replays though and to play pre-mann-co TF2 again.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-03-11 13:11:32)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
right so you implore valve to start spending their time on worthy updates and additions to tf2...

then celebrate a feature that essentially boils down to "teach your mate from school how to rocket jump in 5 minutes"

tf2 is literally valve's sandbox and it's just a lost cause, really
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
why do games need to be newbie friendly

go play fucking wii-sports
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
No, I'm impressed with the replay feature, which is a huge upgrade to the traditional source demo recording and much more user friendly (to average joe) than Source TV. I think it's good to improve such things over time for future source games.

I personally don't care about the coaching. I just mentioned it because it's also new.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

Uzique wrote:

what's the use of such a feature at this stage in the game? do valve really think that a massive influx of new competitive gamers are being seduced by tf2 in its current state? who needs coaching? the only people that are playing this game, still, and giving a fuck about skill are the same people that have been playing for the last couple of years. the tf2 competitive community has been insular, stagnant and self-reliant for far too long now for valve to reconnect it with the casual, public majority. they basically play two entirely separate games.
ETF2L's highlander league seemed to have created quite an interest in the competitive side from the pub community.

Of course, most of them will only play Shitlander and refuse to try 6v6, but I've seen a decent amount of newcomers to 6v6 come from Highlander.

To be honest, I don't think Valve has anything to do with the separation between the pub and competitive communities. The majority of pubbers are just plain ignorant and think competitive players are all "super srs" and somehow think the only way to have fun is to play in a pub. (I've had 200 times more fun in 6v6 than I have in any pub, ever.) That result is competitive players looking down on pub players as the peasants of the FPS world.

Not a very helpful cycle.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2011-03-11 13:24:15)

Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
I play the game for fun not to win
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i just don't even bother playing the game

i have more fun that way and i win... at life
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
Made a quick video with the replay editor. Just jumped on a server for a few minutes.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-03-12 14:16:56)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
This thing really is a lot of fun (the jumping flare gun). I seem to die instantly in these videos a lot but that's probably because I completely overuse it because, like I mentioned, it's a lot of fun to use. Long lives when I use it repeatedly don't seem as spectacular as these short and to the point ones.

Stimey
­
+786|6119|Ontario | Canada
my irl friend made the models for the detonator and jag, trufax
­
­
­
­
­
­
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Can I make fun of you for playing Pyro on Dustbowl?
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
I'm playing Pyro because of the Detonator. On pretty much every map. Now that he can jump past chokepoints he's good on it anyway.
Stimey
­

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

I'm playing Pyro because of the Detonator. On pretty much every map. Now that he can jump past chokepoints he's good on it anyway.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Pyro ... good
Backburner, Powerjack

Errrr...
­
­
­
­
­
­
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6269
The beta Backburner has airblast at much higher cost (50 ammo each blast). Give me some credit sheesh.

Using the Backburner in conjunction with the flare jumps means I can use the back crits with consistency (like in the video I posted. In fact you can see me using an airblast at one point too), it does more damage than the normal flamer, and the only downside is I can't spam the airblast. I have to use it when I need it.

And you lose lots of health from the jumps (anything from 10 to 60 I've found. It's currently incredibly inconsistent with how far you go and how much health you lose. As you can see the second video when I fly so far I almost die on landing) so the powerjack is a good weapon choice. I'm using these things for a reason.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2011-03-14 10:56:47)

Stimey
­
the dps from the axting while an enemy is on fire is better while the enemy is on fire. (a build up to 195 or an instantaneous 195)
you can catch enemies of guard a lot better, as well as not sacrificing airblasts.

In my opinion at least.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State

Stimey wrote:

the dps from the axting while an enemy is on fire is better while the enemy is on fire. (a build up to 195 or an instantaneous 195)
you can catch enemies of guard a lot better, as well as not sacrificing airblasts.

In my opinion at least.
yeah I prefer the axtinguisher to the powerjack in almost every situation, can one hit any class but a heavy most of the time if on fire.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
dumb
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State

Uzique wrote:

dumb
for still playing TF2 eh?

h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6352|Troy, New York
Definately testing coaching for DOTA.
DOTA is a great game, try league of legends for a modern (free) alternative. I also have played HON but its far too cluttered.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard